Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert! >
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

• Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Old 09-12-2011, 07:42 PM

Lynne, you can count your workouts if you can convert. On an elliptical machine, time should be equal, so if you walk a mile in 15-16 minutes, then that amount of time on the machine counts as a mile.

BTW, I hate television. I do like most of Dr Oz's thoughts on health, so I try to turn that on if I remember - oh, I like Dancing With the Stars, too. That's the extent of my TV watching. I do think they've gone a little far afield to find this season's "Stars." I think one in particular is riding on a parent's fame. I'd rather have Bon Jovi or Rod Stewart on the CD player than anything on TV.

nancia, because of the fusion of my ankles and some joints in my feet, I don't jump, but I'll do a little jump for joy for you when you reach ONEderland. No videos, please, because it won't be pretty.

BARES, sometimes becoming aware of a problem is the first step. Now that you're aware, what's next. From my questions today, What do you need to change? More exercise? More water? Tracking on My Fitness Pal for a while? I stopped after 8 days. I get bored easily. I used it long enough to find out I'm in the ballpark.

I'm going to be up a while, too, but I will straightening up sewing room #3 before I start FMQ the C Star. Am I stalling? As a new quilter and an even newer FMQer, I'm not confident about it and this one has so many open areas without a print to hide my quilting. Help!

MJ, 16.5 miles in a week. Today was 2 miles closer to GR. .5 exercise and 1.5 walking. Didn't go too far today. Tomorrow's another day and supposed be cooler after a windstorm with possible hail tonight. Michigan truly qualifies for the statement, "If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes." 80s today and below 30 predicted for Thursday morning. Bye-bye, flowers. At least the roses are hardy.

I am losing weight and getting healthier.
    Old 09-12-2011, 10:08 PM

I don't think I'll be walking after all. Went for a mile last evening and my knee still hurts tonight. I'm sure there are other things I can do.

Have to tell a funny on myself. Last week I bought a new bunch of panties. Was all pleased with myself because they were a smaller size and a silky fabric. Big change from the usual cotton ones. I made a mistake at the store and picked up a high-rise style which shows a little more than I care to expose at this time. Then today I noticed another mistake I had made. Instead of being a size smaller, they are a size larger! No wonder they are so darned comfortable. One big rolling of the eyes. :):)
    Old 09-13-2011, 02:44 AM

Thanks.....Had a long day yest & we ate in the cafeteria....not a great choice, but that's where we were. DH's Dr appt lasted 3 hrs from parking to leaving!

Today I'm making chili my way,which means very little meat.Have water aerobics this morn & that's a good work out.Hope everyone has a healthy eating day.

Originally Posted by Leann
    Originally Posted by plainpat
    I'm a happy camper ! Down 5 pds this wk....the wt scale should show 6 pds...but that's ok. As long as I know, that's what matters & I'll take 5pds.

My next big day will be when I hit Wonderland, but still a ways to go.No exercise today & tomor,DH has appt at univ hosp. That will be enough walking for me.Hope everyone is having a health wk end.

CONGRATULATIONS!
    Old 09-13-2011, 03:16 AM

Good morning everyone. Not going swimming this morning I feel really drugged. The doc gave me a new prescription for sleep because he doesn't feel I have enough down time. I'm to take 2 at bedtime and one if I wake up after 11 p.m. So last night I woke up at 11 and took the third pill. I feel like I.m coming out of surgery. I'm eve3n afraid to drive the car. I don't like this at all. Doc and I need to talk.

Food wasn't good yesterday. I had a hypoglycemic episode and battled all day to get my sugar up and keep it up.

Well today is another day so I start all over. I'm trying to take in more proyein which I think is helping. I hadn't had a hypoglycemic episode for 5 days so I was doing good. So today it's more protein and lots more water. Maybe a short walk if I start feeling better.

Have a great day everyone.

One Day at a Time - I can do this!
    Old 09-13-2011, 03:41 AM

Good morning!

Today Lulu is getting "fixed". Her surgery is scheduled in an hour so I need to get a "move on".

Today is also my dh's 75th birthday. We are celebrating by going to the nearby Lake and spending the night. Praise God I rented a handicapped accessible room last month when I booked this. This is our first overnight stay in over 3 years, I am very excited. The rooms have a water view and I really want to see the spectacular sunset.

For you slackers out there! Time to mush!

Move and Shake! Use this opportunity to improve your health and take 2 extra steps today...just two...to show YOU are in control, not your lazy side...

Food plan, what is your plan? Will you choose to follow it today?
    Old 09-13-2011, 07:50 AM

Good morning, all.

Joyce99, don't give up on walking. Give your knees 48 to recover and start again with a short distance like 1/4 mile. Repeat that for several days, then slowly increase the distance. You can do two 10 minute walks a day rather than one 20 minute. Try for five days out of seven - a luxury I don't have with two dogs, including one who can say, "Walk." BTW, I like high rise panties. They are more comfy when you don't have thin thighs.

Jeanne, it may take your body time to get used to the meds. I had that problem with the Lyrica and still don't can't take the full dose. Can you start with just one pill? Have you tried melatonin and Valerian? Be forewarned that Valerian smells terrible. Protein three times a day works for my children with blood sugar irregularities. Remember eggs are nature's most perfect food, especially if you can get 'real' ones.

MJ, take it easy. I hope you time your sunset. I miss so many on vacation because I'm in a restaurant or whatever at the wrong time. Sunday night I was walking the lake walkway when the sun set. It was lovely. Is Lulu spending the night at the vet's office? Mine doesn't do that. It's 4:45 pickup, though I picked Moira up early because she was doing so well.

Increase my exercise?? You are a slavedriver. It's cool with no sun so I can do a walk as soon as I get bathed and dressed, then the exercise program, then the longer walk this evening, plus FMQ a 75x75 throw is a workout. Will that be enough, ma'am? Food - light brunch soon with dinner at Ruby Tuesday. A sandwich with no bun with a vegetable to replace the fries. Probably broccoli because the grilled veggies are a little greasy. I can gross my daughter out and order mashed cauliflower. Mean mom.

Have a healthy eating and moving day, my fellow losers. The only place I like to be called a loser! I AM, not I will, losing weight and getting healthier.
    Old 09-13-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
    Good morning, all.

Joyce99, don't give up on walking. Give your knees 48 to recover and start again with a short distance like 1/4 mile. Repeat that for several days, then slowly increase the distance. You can do two 10 minute walks a day rather than one 20 minute. Try for five days out of seven - a luxury I don't have with two dogs, including one who can say, "Walk." BTW, I like high rise panties. They are more comfy when you don't have thin thighs.

Jeanne, it may take your body time to get used to the meds. I had that problem with the Lyrica and still don't can't take the full dose. Can you start with just one pill? Have you tried melatonin and Valerian? Be forewarned that Valerian smells terrible. Protein three times a day works for my children with blood sugar irregularities. Remember eggs are nature's most perfect food, especially if you can get 'real' ones.

MJ, take it easy. I hope you time your sunset. I miss so many on vacation because I'm in a restaurant or whatever at the wrong time. Sunday night I was walking the lake walkway when the sun set. It was lovely. Is Lulu spending the night at the vet's office? Mine doesn't do that. It's 4:45 pickup, though I picked Moira up early because she was doing so well.

Increase my exercise?? You are a slavedriver. It's cool with no sun so I can do a walk as soon as I get bathed and dressed, then the exercise program, then the longer walk this evening, plus FMQ a 75x75 throw is a workout. Will that be enough, ma'am? Food - light brunch soon with dinner at Ruby Tuesday. A sandwich with no bun with a vegetable to replace the fries. Probably broccoli because the grilled veggies are a little greasy. I can gross my daughter out and order mashed cauliflower. Mean mom.

Have a healthy eating and moving day, my fellow losers. The only place I like to be called a loser! I AM, not I will, losing weight and getting healthier.
    I love your attitude! You always have so much wisdom to share. Thank you for that!

I totally LOVE cauliflower and having it mashed is so yummy! My dad got me hooked on that when he was doing Atkins several years ago. I say gross your daughter out and enjoy the yumminess of the cauliflower! LOL!

Missy
    Old 09-13-2011, 09:14 AM

I have great news!!

Today I mailed 5 - repeat 5- skinny quarters to the losers from April to date. Be on the lookout for mail from Corinth MS.

Missy, yours is a little more because I have the perfect border fabric for your skinny quilt. I sent it on for you.

Irish- yes, I am one MEAN boss! Get to it, girl!
    Yes, our vet requires they stay a minimum 24 hours, and more like 36. I appreciate that. She will also stay there Friday night when I have to be gone overnight. I don't want to mess up her stitches and we don't have a crate at home. DH won't let me get a crate, either.

I don't think we'll miss the sunset, all the rooms face the lake and the exposure is all glass in each room. Headed there now!

I love Ruby Tuesday. If you join their website they email you coupons. 25% off coupons!

I had one but it expired on 9/10/11. Rats!
    Old 09-13-2011, 09:26 AM

Geez, Missy, that's not what a PM I received last night from another board member said. (It wasn't from here.) Thank you. I hesitate to give what could be construed as medical advice on an open forum because I have absolutely no qualifications to do so, but it's hard to be quiet if there's something in my experience that could be helpful to another.

I'm changing my eating plan again. Low carb didn't do much, so I'm going back to my favorite - carbs in the AM and low carb in the PM. I will reread my book on that to refresh my memory. That eating plan doesn't feel like a 'diet' and is more satisfying to me. As soon as I'm done here, I am making some rice pudding. Rice for carbs, eggs for protein and a low amount of brown sugar, plus vanilla and spices.

Xylie, I don't mean to ignore you, but I can't endorse a liquid, no meat diet. Smoothies for breakfast and lunch with meat and veggies for dinner is doable, but not just juices and smoothies unless there is a medical reason. Dr Oz had an article in the August 1 Women's World that outlined that plan nicely. I could scan it in here - it's only two pages, if that's admissible under copyright laws. IMO, once it's published, it's fair game, but I could be wrong. My library carries WW, so back issues are there, but I do happen to have that one. I can post the recipes, but it'd be better to read it all. Any thoughts on the copyright of a consumer magazine??

Okay, rice pudding is going on and the dogs and I are going out. See ya.

Edit: You can get more Ruby Tuesday coupons online. I have a free burger w/ 2 non alcoholic drinks for me. I will have to put K's drink on my bill, then I have a 25% anything off for her to use. The first one is from my email, the second from the website.
    Old 09-13-2011, 09:30 AM

Irish, I don't think they will let you scan here.
    Hmmm, scan with a downloadable pdf?

that would work because it is available information but not publicly posted?

I agree that a liquid only diet is too extreme. It can really aggravate health conditions, you MUST talk to your doctor before doing this.

I discussed with my doctor altering my calories and she would NOT agree to decrease them under 1200. She said there were too many issues medically that could trigger. Just passing on my doc's statement from Monday, so it is recent info.