Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert! >
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

• Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Old 09-17-2011, 01:38 PM

Hello to all you gorgeous losers! We are having thunder as I type this. I just pray that the lightning does not start any new fires!@!!!

I've been sick the past 3 days with the flu - I guess. Josh brought it home from school, gave it to me, we both stayed home Thursday, Thursday night DH has burning in his chest. So now we are all nursing back to wellness. What a mess we are.

Have done no exercise all week and my eating is awful. Haven't had an appetite so my calorie count is WAY down. I know that one day soon, I'll be famished and not be able to eat enough.

I've been too ill to surf the Board - now that is unacceptable. My sinuses are so inflamed that my glasses are too heavy on my nose. Can't see so I can't surf.

Hugs.
    Old 09-17-2011, 02:01 PM

lynne-- i'm so sorry you're not feeling well! i just read somewhere that natural honey (not pastuerized, i guess) taken 2 tablespoons a day, will cure a persistent sinus infection. i for one, am going to try it! antibiotics never even touch mine, so i just live with it. but even on a diet i can afford 2 T. ! we can't have you too sick to surf! hope that thunder you're hearing is bringing rain! have you had any? hope your whole family is doing better!
    Old 09-17-2011, 02:51 PM

Hi, Lynne, I'm sorry to hear that you've been ill. To add to Nancia's honey, when I had pneumonia, the only thing that cleared my lungs and stopped the cough was onions and raw honey. I was thinking of you when Dr Oz and the trainer said to lose weight, exercise less. When you can sit in front of four short videos, check out Fat Busting After 40 on his website. I don't know how long it will be up. Do you have the newer plastic glasses with the wide temples? I don't like mine and they are so pretty. I'm wearing my old wire ones when I need glasses to read or sew. My computer ones are very light - no bottom rims.

Off to walk the dogs. Why am I dragging my feet on grocery shopping? It's not a favored activity and putting things away is really not favored.

I am losing weight and getting healthier.
    Judy
    Old 09-17-2011, 03:43 PM

judy-- wish we could go shopping together! dh and i have totally different ways to shop and it can get pretty frustrating! i am buying frozen yoghurt or those little cups of ice cream, like we had as kids. i always need a little something sweet after a meal. also, i read that apples help you lose weight. i love macintosh apples the most-so tart and crispy! so they're on my list. my husband brought home mallomars and i am being so good not eating them! pat,pat,pat on my back (ooo, think i might have strained my arm doing that! hahahaha) i can only be good if i have a controlled naughtiness-like a piece of candy, or a cookie. i figure the calories in so it doesn't mess me up, but by being "bad" i don't feel restricted. and i need to get honey, and some almonds or pistachios. carrots, no celery this time--last time i had some it was incredibly tuff! and, speaking of tough, where's XYLIE? girl, if you're reading this check in! we need you! i also need some black fabric for the dq swap. i thought i would have it finished by now. also-- the best thing i've read= you'll lose faster if you don't exercize. can that be TRUE???
    Old 09-17-2011, 03:56 PM

You said exercise less? I can't do much less that what I'm doing!
    Old 09-17-2011, 03:59 PM

No, it is not true that you lose more if you don't exercise.

I have no tolerance for exercise and it is just slowly sometimes losing. My bfff is just exercising but not dieting (watching her carbs and no desserts, but not counting calories, etc.) and she is losing very consistently.
    Old 09-17-2011, 04:45 PM

The doctor and the exercise physiologist didn't say to not exercise, but to do a reasonable amount. She said people who overexercise sabotage their weight loss. One audience member was doing hours a day - running, going to the gym, etc. It seems to me she was indicating an hour or less as good, but don't quote me on that. I have a brother who exercises constantly and he is very lean, so it's not true for everyone. He is also VERY controlled on what he eats.

Has frozen yogurt improved in taste? When I tried it 20 some years ago when my cholesterol was high, I wasn't impressed. What brand do you all of you recommend? Can't be sugarfree.

Where is Xylie? is right. I'm getting concerned about her or her husband's health. Missy has her email and maybe phone #, but Missy's off on her trip.
    Old 09-17-2011, 04:47 PM

i admit it sounds wrong. years ago ww told you not to exercize since fat was easier to lose than muscle. i still believe, despite what i read, it's calories in being less than calories used. slow and steady wins the race.
    i am losing weight. i am in control, it is up to me!
    Old 09-17-2011, 05:19 PM

That's hilarious about the WW. They were so hung up on weight and muscle weighs more than fat. I wonder if they still are? I am hung up on size. I'm quitting when my smallest pants fit nicely, no matter what the scales say. I have a friend who is big boned and dieted down too low after being in the 300+ pound range. I have had other people ask me if she is dying of something like cancer. No, she's just too thin. I don't want to look like that though I don't have her bone structure.

I agree about the calories in/out to a degree - I think it depends on what kind of calories they are. Carb calories are more fattening than protein calories to me. I think the point being made in the video was that overexercisers can't control their calories because they get too hungry exercising.

BTW, cookies and candy arent 'naughty' if they are planned and if you are able to control the amount you indulge in. An indulgence? Yes, but a necessary one for some of us. Dove dark chocolates here.
    Old 09-17-2011, 05:28 PM

When I did water aerobics years ago I had that problem. I would get so hungry and then could not control my eating so I actually gained weight. I now weigh 50 lbs more than I did then but I would never want to be that thin again.