Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert! >
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

• Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Old 09-17-2011, 05:34 PM

I was on another forum and wrote about how I like to have dessert every night and thought I would share some of them with you. Jack La Lanne suggested that if you have a sweet tooth to mash up a banana and it will be three times as sweet. So for my evening treat I mashed up a banana, crumpled two vanilla wafers, added 1/2 t of sugar and a tablespoon of half and half. Depending on the size of the banana it averages about 170 calories but it's so sweet that it might as well be 400. They now have pudding cups that are fat free, I got some for myself in case my blood sugar goes too low which it has. Those are just 90 calories so if you wanted to dress it up you could add the cookie crumbs and a whipped topping. I have also been treating myself to pumpkin pie without the crust. I make the filling in the microwave and for a 1/8 piece it's 170 calories. The most recent addition to the dessert menu has been cherry jam by Smuckers. It's 50 calories a tablespoon but it will knock your socks off. I've sometimes added that to my mashed banana instead of the cookie crumbs but it's so satisfying you won't need dessert the next day.
    And last but not least my jello creation. I used the sugar free cherry, strawberry would work also. Half a cup of the jello, half a cup of watermelon chopped up in small chunks. A tablespoon of the cherry jam and a tablespoon of half and half. I didn't have a parfait glass so I put it in a small glass mug and it looked so pretty especially when I poured the half and half in. Oh, I almost forgot another little dessert. I don't have the calories because I don't have the ingredients here but this is very tasty. Half a cup of your vanilla ice cream of choice real, low fat, no fat, no sugar it doesn't matter really. You put a small can of mandarian oranges in the freezer for about 2 hours. Make sure you shakeup the can of orange before you open them hopefully they will be icy cold but not frozen. you scoop half the oranges with half the liquid over the ice cream and enjoy. If everything goes right you'll see little shards of the liquid mixed with the ice cream. It's like a creamy 50/50 bar, if anyone remembers those.
    Old 09-17-2011, 05:55 PM

like creamcicles! they make ice cream like that!mmmmmmyum! your recipe sounds healthier! i may pick up some dove chocolates for chocolate emergencies! but we all know i have control issues,lol. and i have to get honey.
    calling my treats 'naughty' makes them more satisfying, like forbidden fruits. well, convince me to go shopping now! i'm procrastinating.
    Old 09-17-2011, 06:33 PM

Radiana, the 'creamsicle' sounds good. I don't like canned oranges, but they might be good here.

Nancia, dark chocolate is good for cholesterol and your heart. I isolate my four or five every day so I know when I'm done. One Dove Promise melted on ice cream is yummy, too. Large containers of ice cream are my downfall which is why I don't buy any. I think I'll look for a frozen yorgurt and see if I can make that last a week. It may right now when I'm actually losing weight. Nothing succeeds like success.

John Mellencamp says it's time to get back to work. That's working music, not relaxing. See ya.
    Old 09-17-2011, 07:33 PM
    elm

Anything I've ever read indicates that losing slowly is less of a shock to your body which is a good thing.
    Old 09-17-2011, 08:39 PM

30 yrs ago i had tattooed on my left buttcheek--'Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!'( of course, it can now be found on the back of my left thigh!) but i still believe it to my core.
    Old 09-18-2011, 12:33 AM

Congratulations on becoming a nurse Katvert!

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well Lynne, hope you get better soon.

My husband officially hit 20 lbs lost the other day, so I'm thrilled for him. I'm still hanging in there, I did a biggest loser dvd workout the other day and yesterday I walked most of the day at the fair. I've had a few days where I've eaten more than I should calorie wise but I just keep going the next day, so that's improvement. LOL Keep up the good work ladies!
    Old 09-18-2011, 06:24 AM
    elm

So I got up this morning another pound lost which really surprised me. Then I thought about what I had eaten both Friday and Saturday and realized that I had consumed less starch and salt and increased water. Have to remember to be consistant with that combination.
    Old 09-18-2011, 06:52 AM

Congratulations all those who lost weight.

Congratulations to all those who are learning more about themselves which will lead to a healthier life style and weight loss.

I learned something about myself also. Sunday mornings are bad for me because I'm in charge of the kitchen at church and serve treats and coffee. It seems as if I can never leave the treats alone. I always beat myself up and took several days to get back in gear on my food plan. When I made up my menu for this week I didn't put anything down for my noon meal. I went to church and yes I broke down and ate some of the treats but when I left church I left my bad eating habits there. I logged everything I ate at church and that will be my lunch. The rest of the day I will follow my menu and plan to have a good day. It isn't the best plan but for today it is the best plan for me.

Hope everyone has a good Sunday.

I'm in control, eating one day at a time!
    Old 09-18-2011, 07:16 AM

Jeanne,
    That is a good solution to your issue.

I am eating a buffet birthday lunch today, so for breakfast I had a piece of toast. At the buffet, I will start with a large salad and a lean meat. After I've eaten those,, then I will decide if I need anything else.

Supper is planned tonight, fresh veggies broiled and rice.

I am in control and I am losing.
    Old 09-18-2011, 07:22 AM

if you plan it in it's at least not going to torpedo your whole day. so good for you ,jeanne! that's what i do with my little indulgences, too. now if i can just keep from eating them all at once....
    i really didn't sleep last night. my back was yelling at me so i took some percocet. surprise! i do believe i'm allergic! i started itching everywhere, and i still am. because it makes me sleep, i'm afraid to add benadryl on top of it. it's not too helpful if i NEVER wake up!
    just had a lovely video chat with olivia and her mommy and daddy! she is getting quite big! yesterday she rolled from her back to her side. Go, olivi-girl! she is our superbaby! i managed to sneak through yesterday without going grocery shopping, but today i have to go. the cats are down to 3 cans of food and only a handful of kibble. grrr... i feel so tempted to get something awful, like cake, or cookies, or donuts and that could blast me right out of one-derland. i have been craving mass quantities of unwise choices. even though i know better, sometimes i wonder if i really care. perhaps if i take a nap first i will find my resolve! worth a try. i am losing, but i'm not sure about the control. it is, however, still up to me!