Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert! >
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

• Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Old 09-18-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by nancia
    beachbound-- i find 3 1/2 lbs VERY exciting! that's about my average for a month now!! woohoo for you!! keep it up! a word of advice. try to keep your calories at 1200 or above. as tempting as it is to go lower it will backfire. lower than 1200 your body reacts as if it's starving and will hold onto everything it can to protect you. ask me how well i know this! it seems like lower calories will get you there faster, but not only will it slow you down, it will undermine your general health. give it some thought, please.
    thanks, ladies!!! I think I needed to hear this because I find myself looking for food when I shouldn't so maybe I need a few more calories at meals AND the right kind :roll: like protein! We're going thru a major bathroom reno & when I feel stressed I tend to grab something~ anything, to munch on.
    Old 09-18-2011, 08:53 AM

I just read this from my favorite blog. I thought it was chock full of wisdom for those of us that has had weight loss surgery and I think even for those that have not.

Missy

In the beginning of this weight loss surgery journey it's easy to get obsessed with getting to GOAL.

OK Gooooooaaaaaallllll.

Then what?

Newsflash: there's no finish line just more of the same.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but in the interest of keeping it real... this journey gets even harder.

Tips for the Long Haul:

* Plan your meals.

* Stop grazing. If it isn't in the plan for the day. Put it down! Some days I feel crazy hungry... I just try not to feed the beast. If it's not my 3 meals and 2 snacks that are planned it's not going in my mouth.

* Get rid of stuff in the house you shouldn't have. Don't use the excuse it's for the kids, it's for hubby, etc. They don't need it either. It's a lie we tell ourselves.

* Track your intake and output for a week or two at a site like www.fitday.com or www.dailyplate.com it'll be obvious pretty quick what area needs to be cut or added to (in fact, you probably already know the answer.) Yes it's a pain in the ass to track... so is being fat and trying to lose weight. Pick your poison ;)

* Find something active you like to do. If you don't like to do it it's probably not going to continue. I don't do smelly gyms but some people love them.

* Get support. My latest favorite support route is Twitter we have a Weight Loss Surgery Twibe - 800+ members who check in with each other daily to chat, bitch, moan, celebrate. All current and former fat chicks (and a few dudes) so we all "get it" feel free to come hang out. I'm Eggface on there (add me) and then join the WLS Twibe to add other WLS pals (pre-ops, post-ops, all surgery types... all fighting the good fight)

* Remember food for us was an addiction. We are recovering addicts. Sometimes you can't do it on your own and may need some professional help. Weight Loss Surgery Success = working on the head as well as the body. They operate on our guts, not our heads. That is up to us!

If you aren't doing the "right things"...Change.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading." ~Lao Tzu

Remember every new day is a chance to transform your life. Hell every new minute. Drop the cookie.

Oh and no diets... no liquid for a week crap... no pills. We had weight loss surgery to get off that rollercoaster. Make life changes (food, water, exercise, head) you can live with forever 'cause this battle is forever.
    Old 09-18-2011, 09:08 AM

These are AWESOME! They are perfect for lunch with a salad. Yumm-O!

Missy

Shelly's Mini Cheese Stuffed Peppers

12-14 (approx. 1/2 lb) Baby Bell Peppers, halved (Costco sells 2 lb bags of these)
    sprinkle of Kosher Salt
    1 Yellow Onion, diced
    2 slices Capicola (Coppa) Ham or Prosciutto, diced
    5 oz. Herb Goat Cheese (Chevre)
    1/4 cup Italian Blend Cheese, shredded (Mozzarella, Parmesan, Fontina Blend)
    1 Tablespoon Parmesan, grated

Half baby peppers and remove seeds. Wash & dry thoroughly. Place in a Pyrex casserole dish that has been sprayed with a non-stick spray. Sprinkle with Kosher salt. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

Saute onion till golden. Add ham. Cook 1 minute more. Set aside to cool. Mix cooled mixture with remaining ingredients (except Parmesan) till well combined. Spoon mixture into a quart sized Ziploc bag. Seal baggie and snip off one corner to form a piping bag.

Pipe (or fill) cheese mixture into par-cooked mini peppers.

Sprinkle with Parmesan. Return to 350 oven for 30-35 minutes more or until cheese is slightly golden.

Leftovers are yummy reheated with eggs in the morning. Just pop them in the oven or toaster over till warmed through or if you are really in a hurry just chop them up into the eggs like a scramble.

If you haven't tried goat cheese... do it. I promise you it's delicious. It's lower in fat, calories and cholesterol than cream cheese (which can be subbed though it's not nearly as good.) Goat cheese is also easier to digest than cow's milk cheeses. Lots of people who are lactose intolerant can eat cheeses made from goat's milk. I get the little logs of it at Trader Joe's (cheapest price) but they are readily available at most supermarkets. Costco sells a big log but it's a bit too big (you can freeze it.) For this recipe I used the herb coated goat cheese log. There's also a plain and cranberry version. All are delicious. If you can only find plain just toss some basil, oregano in the mixture.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-258632.jpe  
    Old 09-18-2011, 12:38 PM

Hello to everyone....been a while since I posted...a good friend of mine was just diagnosed with breast cancer and have been spending some time with her. She starts chemo next week.

My weight is still going down. I have lost another 6 pounds. I am still running and thinking seriously about doing the marathon in January. Ya think a 67 year old (by then I will be 68) is too old to run a marathon?

Just thought you would like to see what I have done with some of the "skinny" qtrs everyone has been seding in. There have been some awesome colors. Pic does not do the colors justice. The white is actually a cream color (which is from my stash).

Y'all have a wonderful, blessded day.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-258689.jpe  
    Old 09-18-2011, 01:05 PM

mrsh2008-- you sound like you have the same pattern i do. my body is in constant starvation mode. so it holds onto everything it gets never knowing if it'll get any more. i find if i'm going to snack i want cookies, breads, cakes, not so much candy, but lately if i start something it's hard to stop before it's all gone. i'm trying to choose fruits and veggies for my snacks, but i'm not always successful. my dh and i went grocery shopping and i bought a few little things for dessert after meals. they are all gone. did i mention we went yesterday? all carbs, all gone. guess i can't do that! time for a new and better plan! i just seem to have strayed away! xylie- slap me around and get me back to where i need to be! i can do this, i have been doing it, i need to keep doing it right!
    I am the exact same way so I have to buy the snacks for the kids that I don't like.
    Old 09-18-2011, 01:09 PM

30 yrs ago i had tattooed on my left buttcheek--'Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!'( of course, it can now be found on the back of my left thigh!) but i still believe it to my core.
    You are so funny!
    Old 09-18-2011, 01:28 PM

I am so proud of the great weight losses being posted. Congratulations on such success.

I can sit up for almost a whole hour today. I HATE how illness strips you of all energy and it takes so long to regain it. At least I AM on the recovery side! It will be a few days before I attempt my walking again. I have a chronic flaw of "pushing through" and then a relapse. Besides, I need to bank what little energy I have for those things that HAVE to be done this week.

I am getting antsy to start a new project, but I have to finish my bargello first. We are having a few sprinkles today.

Thanks for so many well-wishes! I love my quilting friends!
    Old 09-18-2011, 01:53 PM

Hi to all. Been super busy these last few days and have been trying to catch up with you all. Sounds like most are doing well and losing.
    I on the other hand am just sitting at the 1.5 pounds down this month. But not giving up still trying to do the right thing with eating and exercise. Great snack ideas will have to try some.
    I need to get back to my quilting I have three going at once and it's making me crazy. I prefer to do one at a time but for some reason I got one going and found out I have a baby shower the end of the month so that's number two and then saw this little wall hanging that I just had to start so there are 3 at once.
    You all have a wonderful day and a successful next week
    Hugs to all.
    Gail
    Old 09-18-2011, 01:56 PM
    elm

That looks beautiful.
    Old 09-18-2011, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl

* Get support. My latest favorite support route is Twitter we have a Weight Loss Surgery Twibe - 800+ members who check in with each other daily to chat, bitch, moan, celebrate.
    I have a question as I am somewhat confused. This is still the Quilting Board even tho it is an off shoot thread. I copied the portion above about "chat, bitch, moan" because if someone says something on here that is considered against the rules, is it subject to being deleted and we get a message sent from the moderator to stop posting or be banned from the board? So, is seems to me that we really can't bitch and moan about our weight loss on here publicly. Would that be correct? The other question is, am I correct in that we can still be seen by anyone and everyone that just happens to run across us while trying to find some particular topic; such as quilts or weight loss? Or is this entire thread private somehow? I just want to make sure I understand the rules here too. I am not trying to cause problems, but I want to know where the boundaries are and if they are somehow different here. It is better to not post at all or very little, rather than not have something that is helpful.