Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert! >
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

• Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Old 09-22-2011, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
    Wow! Ya'll are doing so great!
    Has anyone received their fabric from me yet? I really wanna know!

Missygirl, I am so excited! Big numbers that are fun!

I am back and back on track. I passed/failed the sleep study. That means I get a c-pap today. Doc is calling it in now as we speak.

I feel better today than I have in 3 months! Praise be to God and oxygen!

Keep on moving forward: we're either moving forward, moving backward or we're dead. Take your choice.
    Well,As long as we're on this side of the ground,there's hope!
    Old 09-23-2011, 02:26 AM

Wow Missy that is great. You are doing so good. Just look at how your life has changed for the good. Keep on going and you'll get to your goal in no time.

I can't remeber all the posts I read but congrats to those o9f you loosing weight and hang in there to those that aren't.

Xylie, what in heavens name are you doing up on the roof cutting down huge branches. Be careful so you don't get hurt.

Well Friday is my weigh-in day so I weighed in. I gained 2 pounds. I've followed my menu and have been doing water aerobics 3 times a week. This is so frustrating, I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. Loosing weight is not easy - it's an absolute pain. I'm just going to keep doing what I was doing, following menu and swimming and see what happens next week. I might bump up my swimming and lap swim on the days I don't have water aerobics. I feel in control - "One Day at a Time".

Judy, My DH has lupus to. He is in pain from the arthritis that comes with it and is tired most of the time. Staying out of the sun is a problem for him because he works PT delivering meds for the local pharmacy. When he has a flare up he goes on steroids for a short period at a time but doesn't take them all the time. Just uses them to treat the symptoms. Watching how it has changed his life is really difficult. He's had 3 major strokes and has been put on blood thinners because he has the antibody syndrom that can occampany lupus. He gets depressed at times and takes antidepressants. He to is living one day at a time.

Have a good day everyone. God Bless! One Day at a Time!
    Old 09-23-2011, 03:05 AM

Missy....I didn't see that show,altho her pic was on TV.Kind of reminded me of the woman who deliberately had all the babies....7 of them? Could never understand what she was thinking? Maybe that's the problem,no thinking.Sounds like their thought process is out of sync.

I agree with you.No one wants to be that heavy & a body will only carry that load for so long.I'm surely no expert,or wouldn't be posting here.

A friend asked a question about this, wondering why this would be on TV......when she needs help big time ,for yrs to get some wt off. Lots of questions about the subject,few answers.
    Old 09-23-2011, 04:57 AM

Missy, wonderful news! You are making great choices & changes in your life and helping us along as well.

Xylie, I think we need to get you your own TV show "In A Fix With Xylie" You would do great on HGTV. :)

After another week with the bathroom reno I made some unhealthy food choices but did a ton more excerise so hope things even out. Funny, even with the scale hanging pretty steady my pants are fitting much better & a good bit of belly fat is gone. I'll take it for now. Stomach muscles~ turns out I still have some...under, way under my layer of fat.
    Old 09-23-2011, 05:35 AM
    elm

Ate all of a bag of sesame garlic hummus chips yesterday. That didn't put me over a normal calorie limit for the day because of the other good things I had eaten for a very late breakfast and therefore late dinner. However, when I got on the scale this morning I was up a pound and a half. Since I don't seem to be willing to portion control snacks, I will have to go back to not buying them.
    Old 09-23-2011, 06:46 AM

elm,did you notice the sodium grams in those chips. MJ has turned me into a sodium label reader. I was surprised at mini rice cakes. Excess sodium in equals water weight gain.

Xylie, you go, girl. I've got more plumbing to do today, but I try to stay out of trees. Thank you for reminding me to check my pine tree. My son won't be home to trim it this Fall. #2 daughter will do it, but she lives out of town. The rest aren't tree climbers.

plainpat, I agree with your friend. I thought Dr Oz's show was a odd place for that when she's refusing help. It was more of a Dr Phil segment, IMO.

I eat two meals a day. Brunch and dinner with a daytime snack only if I feel the need, no planned ones. We won't discuss late evening snacks - one of my weak points. Though I haven't being buying any, so I have to get creative. Rice cakes dipped in natural honey aren't bad.

Beachbound, inches are where it's at, though there's no FQ for losing inches. Don't you love it when it comes off the stomach area? It feels so good!

jeanne, did you do any pre measurements? You may converting fat to muscle with your increased exercise and muscle weighs more than fat. Plus, you may have hit a up day on weight fluctuations. I know the mode is not to weigh daily, but it works for me. I can see minor fluctuations and track the source - too much food or too much salt, etc.

Speaking of measurements, my R calf is an inch bigger than my L one which means I'm not done with the insect bite reaction yet. Two spots are still draining - one on L arm and one on my R leg and the bites were only on my ankles, mostly R.

Lynne, sending you good thoughts for renewed energy. Recovering from the flu isn't fun. I usually wait until late Oct to get my flu shot, but maybe I'd better get it done. Or do the pnuemonia now and flu later. My doctor and I argue about the shingles shot. He wants it. I'm afraid live vaccine will cause a flare because I have shingles now, but under control. The last attack detached the retina in one eye. Can't have a repeat of that.

nancia, I love your posts. So funny and so wise. A lovely combination.

Wishing you all a healthy eating day with the perfect amount of exercise. How far have you travelers gone? I'm at 35.5 miles, so I've passed Reed City.

I am losing weight and getting healthier. (Sorry so long. J)
    Old 09-23-2011, 07:23 AM

Irish,
    I've gone 5 miles so I've made it out of Corinth and close to the Alabama state line. I think I only need about 3 more miles to get there.

Yes, the sodium gremlins are at it again. I can't remember supper last night (no surprise!) but evidently it had lots of salt. I'm up 7 pounds this morning. It will go back down...

Xylie, I love your stories of repairing the world. Could you come to my house and fix something. Anything, just something would be cool.

My blood sugars are doing much better. I have no appetite so I don't snack like I did. This is a benefit!
    Old 09-23-2011, 10:29 AM

ok, i have a non-weight question. i'm making a jacket for a swap i'm in, and i want to quilt around the cuffs and collar, and possibly the front placket area. i'm expecting it to shrink some, but do you think the cotton batting will distort the lines of the jacket? i'm thinking i could use poly batt and that wouldn't shrink, so what if i just use interfacing? this is going to florida so doesn't require warmth. ideas?

\
    Old 09-23-2011, 11:25 AM

Do you have any Pellon fleece? I use for table runners, but I know it's sold for apparel, too. It comes both fusible and non. In the 90s, I preferred the non fusible, but it may have improved since then. The fleece is a little smoother and denser feeling than batting - works great for placemats and runners and it's sold for jackets and such. Well shrunk flannel would be an alternative, but the fleece would be first choice. The fusible is TP971F Thermolam Plus so I bet the non is 971 without the F. I've recently bought both, but haven't tried the fusible in years. I really like the regular. I just did a runner with it.

If you want to use your cotton batting, you can preshrink it. Wet it and dry it in a lingerie bag. I dry a full size one in the dryer with some towels, no bag at all. Do not agitate it in the washer. Ask me how I know.
    Old 09-23-2011, 11:30 AM

Finally got a chance during this busy week to catch up on some messages -
    Way to go everyone, so many people are doing so well.
    Missy - your story is so inspirational, I think it is so neat that not only are you focusing on the numbers but you are able to do so much more physically.
    Elm - I too have had issues with portion control, so I went to the dollar store and got some cheap baggies and soon as I buy a snack, I break it up into portion sizes. If 6 pretzels is a portion then 6 pretzels go in the bag. It has really helped me - and stops that roving hand from reaching in the bag. I also jot the WW points (or calories) down on the bag.
    Today was weigh in day and a horrible stressful week, but I managed to loose 1 more pound, at least it is down and not up. If I can loose 4 more pounds then I will have lost 5% of my body weight.
    Determined to do more about my weight I went to an extra water exercise class instead of the couch. So I exercised for 2.5 hours today (and it is barely noon here), I think I will do some wii with my son this afternoon also.

Great Job everyone.