Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert! >
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

• Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Old 09-23-2011, 06:49 PM

I have a prayer request for my daughter, Kelsey. She is in Korea teaching English. She is the only foreigner living in a very large apartment building. She just called me and is very upset. Yesterday (friday morning) in the elevator she was sexually assaulted by a Korean man. She was very scared but was able to get away from him. She told her boss and he called the police. There is a security camera in the elevator so it was all recorded. They have not found the man yet. She is frightened of what the other Koreans in the building will think of her once the man is apprehended and put in prison. She is afraid to go back to her apartment. She also feels bad that she will be the reason that this man goes to prison. I feel so helpless because she is on the other side of the world and I can't just go to her and comfort her. Thankfully, she comes home in 2 weeks. Kelsey is 25. Thank you for your prayers.
    Old 09-23-2011, 09:18 PM
    elm

If you are making this to wear in Florida, use the lightest thing possible. Remember that poly batt can't be ironed and also remember that poly doesn't breathe like cotton does. Use whatever you normally do that doesn't give you hot flashes.
    Originally Posted by nancia
    ok, i have a non-weight question. i'm making a jacket for a swap i'm in, and i want to quilt around the cuffs and collar, and possibly the front placket area. i'm expecting it to shrink some, but do you think the cotton batting will distort the lines of the jacket? i'm thinking i could use poly batt and that wouldn't shrink, so what if i just use interfacing? this is going to florida so doesn't require warmth. ideas?

\
    Old 09-23-2011, 09:57 PM

Pam, that's so scary for her and hard for you not to be with her. Prayers are being offered for her safety and peace of mind. Judy
    Old 09-23-2011, 10:00 PM

pam--1st of all, your daughter is NOT responsible for what this man has done. she is NOT responsible for his going to prison. the victim does not cause the man to rape her, it is the anger and illness of the man. rape is NOT about sex, it is about anger and power! make sure, no matter how much you or she believes she does not need it, make sure counselling is available and encourage her to get some!!! rape is not something you can get over alone! i know i'm very opinionated, but this is something i know a great deal about!!! please! do not let her go through this without professional help. love is NOT enough. it is a crime that violates the very heart of your soul and who you are. i can't say more.
    2nd-- she is going to need your love and non-judgmental acceptance- exactly where unconditional love comes into play. remember, it isn't her fault, and she wasn't asking for it, or any of the other stupid things people say blaming a victim for the crime. she is the same wonderful daughter you have always loved and is hurting incredibly badly. prayers for all involved. it is a horrible, horrible crime!
    Old 09-23-2011, 10:10 PM

elm-- i think you are right. i'm planning to just use another layer of the fabric as an interlining. the jacket is reversible and should be fine for an air-conditioned office or restaurant. what do you think? or i could just quilt it with no inner layer.
    Old 09-24-2011, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Beachbound
    Missy, wonderful news! You are making great choices & changes in your life and helping us along as well.

Xylie, I think we need to get you your own TV show "In A Fix With Xylie" You would do great on HGTV. :)

After another week with the bathroom reno I made some unhealthy food choices but did a ton more excerise so hope things even out. Funny, even with the scale hanging pretty steady my pants are fitting much better & a good bit of belly fat is gone. I'll take it for now. Stomach muscles~ turns out I still have some...under, way under my layer of fat.
    Now there's a thought!Only kinda like the goose on Aflac,when your hurt and can't work,we'll pay blah.blah,blah.Only mine would be "When your broke and nothing works,fix it yourself by Googling the problem,and then do it.That's what I do.Why I'd be lost w/o the computer,and them guys helping me.Like with the pressure tank the other day.Who'd a thought about putting a rubber washer with a self tapping screw in it?It worked good.
    Old 09-24-2011, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
    Irish,
    I've gone 5 miles so I've made it out of Corinth and close to the Alabama state line. I think I only need about 3 more miles to get there.

Yes, the sodium gremlins are at it again. I can't remember supper last night (no surprise!) but evidently it had lots of salt. I'm up 7 pounds this morning. It will go back down...

Xylie, I love your stories of repairing the world. Could you come to my house and fix something. Anything, just something would be cool.

My blood sugars are doing much better. I have no appetite so I don't snack like I did. This is a benefit!
    Why sure.I should of had video's done and posted them on U-tube.
    Old 09-24-2011, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat
    Missy....I didn't see that show,altho her pic was on TV.Kind of reminded me of the woman who deliberately had all the babies....7 of them? Could never understand what she was thinking? Maybe that's the problem,no thinking.Sounds like their thought process is out of sync.

I agree with you.No one wants to be that heavy & a body will only carry that load for so long.I'm surely no expert,or wouldn't be posting here.

A friend asked a question about this, wondering why this would be on TV......when she needs help big time ,for yrs to get some wt off. Lots of questions about the subject,few answers.
    Well I saw her on u-tube after reading it here.Her and that other one,both want to be the fattest broad around.But they are selfish,cause they end up in a bed not going anywhere.Just looking out a window wishing they could.Here we are and most people,trying and fighting for our lives to be healthier and slimmer,and they want to be 1000 pounds?Ya their selfish and could give a crap about those kids.I never had children and would of loved to.And they shell them out and can't take care of themselves,let alone those poor kids.Selfish
    Old 09-24-2011, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
    Oh my gosh! My mom just took a picture of me with both my legs in one leg of my favorite pants. I have been wearing these pants for years and did not really see how big they are now until my mom told me to do that! Wow. They are HUGE and I am in shock about what I look like in them! Uh. I think it is time to not wear them anymore. *shakes head in disbelief*

Oh wow oh wow oh wow!

Missy
    Ya,time for them to go by by.You go girl!That's how mine look om me.
    Old 09-24-2011, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
    Lynne, time for onions and honey to clear your lungs. Raw onions, if you can, and natural honey. It's hard to find raw here. I had to steam my onions slightly, let them cool and then add the honey. It worked like a charm. You can't run if you can't breathe.

Down a pound today, but I had a hot dog attack tonight, so we'll see if it holds.
    Ya,that's what I was going to say.Read tonight that we should do probiotics while on antibiotics to replace the good flora in the stomach.And it will help with the upsets.Yogurt is ok they said,but not as good as good probiotics.{What ever they are} Guess I'll have to google that too! That's how I learn things.Besides watching u-tube