Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert! >
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

• Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Old 09-26-2011, 06:58 PM

Missy, try eating your first few bites standing up. Gives you a little more space. I've never had your surgery, but I have had similar sounding problems, though in my case it's the esophagus.

MJ, repeat after me, "Three is enough." Say it until you believe it. You've got enough stress right now.

Elm, this quilt doesn't need any more variety, IMO. It's a Carpenter Star with braided borders, so I'm probably going to use the outside border for binding. I saw another batik I missed that might work, but I've already cut the strips now from LQS batiks, though I could save them for something else if I switch. It's gorgeous fabric. Yellow and pink on cream, so there are a lot of peachy areas.

Cindy, my prayers for a successful surgery and uneventful healing go with you.
    Old 09-26-2011, 07:14 PM

what kind/color of chihuahua?? i personally want a french bulldog or another cocker, or maybe a schnauzer. speaking of expensive dogs, monkey jumped from the couch to my bed and didn't make it. immediately stopped using her left rear leg. she has previously blown the knee in her right rear leg, which became mostly healed by time and a weight reduction diet. she's now walking on her left leg, but i'm watching her. she has been able to get on the couch by herself so hopefully it's alright. she's about 7 or 8 and will probably have arthritis in just a few years. she is such a sweet soul. i can't stand the idea of her suffering in silence. she deserves all good things, you know, like your child that isn't quite as bright as the others but makes up for it with a sweet spirit. however, she will not allow me to trim her nails--no matter how many 'cookies' are involved. i'm telling myself she'll be fine. my husband thinks 2 dogs, 2 cats is the perfect arrangement. i just keep thinking about all those animals in shelters and feral and think, one more wouldn't kill us, but would save a life. no deal. he got his stubbornness from my side of the family (very strong family!) lol, sigh.
    Old 09-26-2011, 07:44 PM

Cindy, I am praying all goes well with your surgery and recovery.
    All of you are in my prayers for whatever your specific problems are.
    Here are pics of some things I have been working on recently.

1 for me, 1 for a friend
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]262905[/ATTACH]

another for me, another for a friend
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]262906[/ATTACH]

I just got this fabric on friday. I can't wait to get it quilted and hung in my kitchen
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]262907[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-262852.jpe   attachment-262853.jpe   attachment-262854.jpe  
    Old 09-26-2011, 07:55 PM

i like the idea of binding matching the border. should look really nice!
    Old 09-26-2011, 08:45 PM

Pam, those are lovely. That's the prettiest sunflower panel I've seen.

My little Border Collie/Lab was diagnosed with athritis in her R hip when she was 2. The doctor said it was secondary to a birth defect. So far so good and she's 4 1/2. I wish she and Lily would not have jumping contests.
    Old 09-27-2011, 03:18 AM

Good Tuesday morning.

Prayers go out for all those who are ill. Will be especially praying for Cindy during her surgery.

Pam, your work is beautiful. I can't wait to see the sunflower done.

What is it with hubby's? Mine says the same thing, 3 dogs and 1 cat are enough. There's a darling chihuahua in a rescue in a town about 30 miles from us. I think he would fit in quite nicely.Besides they say he likes men so hubby could have his own lap dog. He doen't see it that way so I guess we stay with the kids we've got.

Missy, I sympsthize with you. I know for quit a while the toilet was my best friend at times after I had my weight loss surgery. It's been 30 years and if I.m not careful and chew my food carefully (which is a struggle with no teeth) or eat only small meals I still need to go and hug the toilet. I'm a slow learner.

If I could just stay away from sweets and treats I wouldn't be having the weight problem I'm having now. I'm so afraid of gaining all the weight back that I lost and it doesn't seem to take much to gain weight these days.

Well everyone have a good day. Missy tell your mom I'm rooting for her at the poker tournament.
    Old 09-27-2011, 10:18 AM

Jeanne, for a while I had a note on my computer, "Stay away from Petfinder." I just checked and there are two dogs listed as urgent. I hate that. One is only a year old, darn it.

I don't know what to tell you about the sweets. I want to make some bars with a cookie base and a pecan pie type topping very much, but I know I can't eat just one. So far I've resisted. Your grandson takes his to his room - does your husband need sweets around? You probably need to allow yourself a small treat every day, but how do we overeaters limit ourselves to just one or two? Freezing doesn't work. I found that out with GS thin mints. Frozen things taste good, too.

Weight: better, food: good and exercise: good. I hope today goes the same.

I am losing weight and getting healthier.

Edit: It's 2:22 here, so it's 1:22 in Texas, so Cindy is getting prepped for surgery now. Prayers are being offered for her and for her surgeon. Lord, we expect nothing less than a successful surgery and an uneventful healing. IJN, Amen
    Old 09-27-2011, 11:11 AM

Praying for Cindy too, that the surgery goes well and that she recovers quickly.

I know what you mean about staying away from Petfinder, I have to avoid the local Craigslist too. We have people giving away pets constantly because they can't afford them here. Our first dog is gorgeous and he was from a shelter, and one of our guinea pigs was from Craigslist. We also have a stray dog who came over to our house a year ago and is now ours too. LOL My father in law's dog we found wandering around the streets, and he has had her 10 years now.

Hope everyone is doing ok, drinking lots of water and eating well. I'm still sore from the yard work this weekend. I'm going to try and get a walk in today though, at least for a little bit.
    Old 09-27-2011, 02:06 PM

i am so proud of people who choose rescue pets! there are so many advantages! i rec'd a note from a friend in dallas that there was a 10 yr old cocker spaniel at the humane society and he was there because he got old and the family didn't want an old dog. omg! i saw red!!! i have a special love of cockers, and i can't tell you how much i want this dog!!!but my husband just can't stand the expense and hub bub a third dog would cause. so sadly, ascot is staying in foster care until his new family comes to get him. i so wish it would be me!
    rescued animals seem to have a built in gratefulness, as if they know they would have had a miserable life without you. they are usually trained, at least housebroken, and they've been neutered. i have had only good luck with them and would have so many more except for you-know-who! if you want a new furry friend please consider rescued animals!!
    Old 09-27-2011, 02:46 PM

I am about to head out the door for a Project Graduation meeting. I made a new dish tonight from the 17day diet recipe forum that was really nice, but salty. It had a package of Ranch dressing mix added to chicken broth and a pkg of ff cream cheese. Heated until smooth, poured over chicken bits and broccoli. The guys had pasta with theirs. Got the thumbs up to make it again.

Slept for five hours today - after adding my first border to my bargello. Baby steps I guess.

I pray Cindy has a great recovery.