Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Serious Grandcild Issue Need Advice >
  • Serious Grandcild Issue Need Advice

• Serious Grandcild Issue Need Advice

Old 02-01-2012, 04:35 PM

My nephew was 8 or 9 before he stopped going in his pants. Some kids just take their sweet time....
    Old 02-01-2012, 04:37 PM

We have a GS with toileting, long past 4 years old. He was diagnosed on the autism spectrum. Those with ASD Often have major sensory issues.
    Old 02-01-2012, 08:37 PM

My nephew had this problem and my sister became so frustrated with it, as she was a single Mom and had tried everything, except...taking him to the Dr. I took him to the pediatrician and she gave him some medication, and it worked! There are some meds that can help this problem, and restore some sanity to the family.

Kathy
    Old 02-01-2012, 08:49 PM

He's 4 years old and a boy...not that unusual...boys don't always train as easy as girls.

When my son was 3 years old...he messed his undies...January..26 degrees out...I took him out to the front yard (8 am)...ran the water hose down his undies...he's yelling at the top of his lungs...out comes the neighbor (she had 2 teen sons at that time)...and she's laughing like crazy...why?
    My son is yelling ...MORE! MORE! MORE!.... Mary says..."I could have told you that wouldn't work...they like it too much...and you just made a bigger mess to clean up."

I have pics of my son, in a t-shirt, with the hose, watering a tree...blue lips and all! Yep...took half an hour to get him to come in and take a bath.

They need to just give him a few rules... no pooping at school...only at home...and then he will clean himself. Trust me ...that will work better than anything...it's messy...but just messy enough that they will decide not to do it any more...and not doing it at school...soon he will realize that using the potty is not a bad thing.
    Old 02-02-2012, 02:32 PM

I'm not a doctor or have any kind of medical degree. I had the same problem with my first born son until about age 6. My mother told me boys are "possesive". That's the word she used. Just be patient and keep reinforcing training.
    Old 02-07-2012, 08:15 AM

Yes, my son was the same way. He knew when and how to go poop, but was simply too darn lazy to do it. That all changed when I made him wash out his dirty diaper. He's now 42 years old.
    Old 02-08-2012, 07:32 PM

As a nurse- there are many physical and psychological variables. Punishment and embarrassment will likely have long term consequences. Medical evaluation is important, and nutritional evaluation may show something as simple as lactose intolerance or food allergies. Poor diet may have a lot to do with it. It's hard to intervene without being rebuffed, but try to keep the door open by offering some gentle suggestions. Hope you can help!
    Old 02-08-2012, 08:43 PM

Wow!! That's just an awful situation to be in. Poor little boy.I remember when I was 7-8 years old in shool I was incredibly shy. On a few occasions I would raise my hand to ask to go to the restroom and the teacher never saw me or ignored me so I put my hand down and calmly peed my pants...I did this a few times because I followed the rules and didn't get up without permission! Now I think how ridiculous! My mom would come to the school with a change of clothes and sweetly ask me what happened. I told her the teacher didn't look at me! My mom spoke to the teacher and it still happened a few times but eventually I spoke up! What I remember most is that the janitor would sneer at me while he was cleaning my area.....It never seemed to affect any of my friendships. I lived through it and my parents didn't ever discuss it in front of me. I'm sure they were concerned. My point is it was not normal but there was a valid reason (to me) to sit there and potty in my seat. On the other hand my BIL and SIL adopted a young boy and he has the same issues. For a fact I know he was abused as a baby so that may have something to do with it.
    Old 03-16-2012, 08:51 AM

Red face bowl control

My nephew had the same problem. He was later diagnosed with 'asburgers' a level of autism. He should be tested. Ben is now an adult who is holding down a job and in complete control of his bodily functions.
    Old 03-16-2012, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by cheri stonespinner
    He was later diagnosed with 'asburgers' a level of autism.
    That would be Asperger's Syndrome.