Sewing Baskets/ Tins

Old 10-02-2018, 09:47 AM

I have a Singer sewing machine tin that someone gave me. I use it for my hand sewing supplies.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:18 AM

Box? Box? I have two rooms! Lol. I do have a square box from JoAnn’s that has license plates on it. It is black and white mostly.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:36 AM

I have several. some I don't use. My main sewing basket is one I received for Christmas a few years ago from my husband. I have one of those wooden ones that opens up like a picnic baskets with six compartments and a large area at the bottom. My cousin gave it to me years and years ago, after my dear Aunt couldn't hand sew anymore due to arthritis. I have several small tins, we keep one in each truck and others are just up on a shelf in my sewing room.

I made a sewing kit up for our son. Bless his heart he mends the grand kids clothes when needed and small enough to not notice by the naked eye...lol I placed a seam ripper, a small pair of scissors, various spools of colored thread, needles, pins, a few safety pins, iron on patches and a pin cushion. All of that was placed in a rectangular plastic box. Before I gave it to him, he said, his sewing kit was on of those $2.00 kits from Wal Mart.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:06 PM

I have a lot of different things, but more recently have tried to organize the less used items into plastic divided trays in the ikea drawer units that hold up my cutting table. My machine came with a very attractive little box for attachments in which each item has its own perfectly fitted spot. I found that completely frustrating to use because you can't see anything but the side of an item, and the embossed labels are only letters, which I only know for the most commonly used feet. I recently bought a plastic box with movable dividers. Each part is in a separate space. I wrote out the names of the feet on bits of tape, so I don't have to memorize the letters, and the spaces are big enough that I can get my fingers in to grab them easily, and I don't waste time rummaging or trying to figure out which way a particular thing is supposed to fit. The original box would be good for travel, as if I'd even consider traveling with this behemoth, a Baby Lock embroidery/sewing machine. The basic frequently used tools, such as scissors, thread cutters, seam ripper, thumb drive (for embroidery designs), screwdrivers, chop stick for poking corners, a Frixion pen, magnifier, tweezers and maybe a few I can't think of are kept right to the right of my machine in an old green plastic cutlery tray. I also have 3 bobbin boxes handy, one for embroidery bobbins, one for the Baby Lock sewing thread and one for another machine. Serger parts and tools are in a dishwasher cube bin on a shelf near the serger.

In contrast to all this, I have a little shoebox full of my mom's old sewing items. It and thread, machine attachments and such all fit into the drawers of her small sewing machine cabinet, which was in a corner of the living room. She was an amazing seamstress, but never tried quilting.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:28 PM

Ditto, Rhonda. My little red two layer tool box is my favorite sewing tool. I can carry it everywhere. Also, I have a square wheeled container I bought years ago at Target to pack my featherweight, fabric, and my little tool box in it. I can drape fabric over the sides) when I sew) of the shopping cart and I am set to carry everything I need to class.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:05 PM

Took Mom out for her birthday and she gave me her sister's sewing tin. Inside was a 2 1/2" round tin from a typewriter ribbon. I don't ever remember seeing one like this before.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:57 AM

My mother gave me her button tin. As a child, I played with the buttons in that tin for hours. I have also picked up button tins full of buttons at auctions, you might say I have small collection. I still enjoy playing in button tins after all these years.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:21 PM

For a decade or two when I didn't sew, I had all my sewing items in an old cookie tin with Hawaiian scenes. Now I have a sewing basket with two layers that has bits like snaps, hooks and eyes, frogs, button hole thread, old heavy silk thread, patches. etc. I have a red box about 10 x 15 that holds my boxes of machine accessories, the books, some cones of thread, a small phone book in the bottom for paper piecing along with my thread in a Ferro Roche box. They make a box about 9" square in heavy clear plastic. If you turn it upside down you lose the logo and it fits a lot of spools - I turn bigger ones on their side.

I inherited my mothers button box and I also spent hours playing with them. I have now expanded to five old cookie tins - Mother of pearl, wood and celluloid, plastic, and glass. I can't think of the last box - there are bakelite in there somewhere of course also, ohh, metal. We moved in the furniture yesterday so perhaps I will get to see them soon, they have been in storage for almost 3 years.

I