Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Share a Favorite Childhood memory >
  • Share a Favorite Childhood memory

• Share a Favorite Childhood memory

Old 09-22-2011, 12:34 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Edie
    Do you remember the WKRP in Cincinnati show where the guy says "As God is my witness, I did not know turkeys could not fly", as he had dumped a bunch of live turkeys out of a helicopter for Thanksgiving?

Same premise: As God is my witness, I did not know baby chicks could not swim like the baby ducks could. I put them in the little pool so they wouldn't be left out of the fun. Grandpa found them all, drown-ded!!!!!! He didn't holler, he just explained why chicks don't swim. Duhhh, no webbed feet!!!!!

Same farm, same Grandpa and Grandma. Mama Ewe had a little black lamb - we named him Sammy. Fed the little critter, chased around with him. Time to come home from Waterloo, Wisconsin to St. Paul, Minnesota. Later that Fall, Grandpa and Grandma came to visit. We were all sitting around the table talking about school and fun and stuff. Grandma says "How do you like the supper?" "It's good, Grandma." "I'm glad you like it - it's Sammy!

I turned 73 years old on Monday and to this day I cannot eat lamb! I was about 7! He was such a cute little black lamb!

Edie
    My DH's dad solved the problem of not eating the stock they raised. He would take the hogs to market and trade with a neighbor. T hen when he butchered he could honestly say they weren't eating the family pet hogs! LOL The neighbor had the same problem!

My DH took care of the hogs til he went into the army. He said he had them all named and they came when called. He enlisted in Viet Nam in 68 and after he left his dad tried to load the hogs onto a trailer and they wouldn't go. He tried and tried and had to give up. He talked to his son(DH) and my DH told him he had to stand in the trailer and call them by name to get them into the trailer! LOL It worked like a charm! Don't know anyone else who named and babied slaughter hogs!! There were about 14 hogs.

DH's youngest 2 brothers had 2 hogs they raised when my kids were little. When they wanted go get through the barn yard without walking in the mud and muck they called the hogs over and rode them to the barn. My kids also rode the hogs with supervision.
    Old 09-22-2011, 12:42 PM

Recalling the huge live turkey my grandpa always got for Thanksgiving staked out in our tiny backyard. I used to scrape my hands and clothes against the grit siding on the house just to get past the turkey who would puff up all its feathers and "gobble, gobble" at me. I was terrified of it and never ate any of it, only the side dishes. My dad was a forest preserve ranger and often brought home odd things for us to take for "show and tell" at school; walking stick insects, praying mantis, abandoned hornets nests, honey combs, odd foliage, etc. To this day I am awed by the knowledge that birds of prey have feathers that make no sound when waved through the air where others make a "whooshing" sound. Silent hunting. Dad made us feel special in his way.
    Old 09-22-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
    Originally Posted by Edie
    Do you remember the WKRP in Cincinnati show where the guy says "As God is my witness, I did not know turkeys could not fly", as he had dumped a bunch of live turkeys out of a helicopter for Thanksgiving?

Same premise: As God is my witness, I did not know baby chicks could not swim like the baby ducks could. I put them in the little pool so they wouldn't be left out of the fun. Grandpa found them all, drown-ded!!!!!! He didn't holler, he just explained why chicks don't swim. Duhhh, no webbed feet!!!!!

Same farm, same Grandpa and Grandma. Mama Ewe had a little black lamb - we named him Sammy. Fed the little critter, chased around with him. Time to come home from Waterloo, Wisconsin to St. Paul, Minnesota. Later that Fall, Grandpa and Grandma came to visit. We were all sitting around the table talking about school and fun and stuff. Grandma says "How do you like the supper?" "It's good, Grandma." "I'm glad you like it - it's Sammy!

I turned 73 years old on Monday and to this day I cannot eat lamb! I was about 7! He was such a cute little black lamb!

Edie
    My DH's dad solved the problem of not eating the stock they raised. He would take the hogs to market and trade with a neighbor. T hen when he butchered he could honestly say they weren't eating the family pet hogs! LOL The neighbor had the same problem!

My DH took care of the hogs til he went into the army. He said he had them all named and they came when called. He enlisted in Viet Nam in 68 and after he left his dad tried to load the hogs onto a trailer and they wouldn't go. He tried and tried and had to give up. He talked to his son(DH) and my DH told him he had to stand in the trailer and call them by name to get them into the trailer! LOL It worked like a charm! Don't know anyone else who named and babied slaughter hogs!! There were about 14 hogs.

DH's youngest 2 brothers had 2 hogs they raised when my kids were little. When they wanted go get through the barn yard without walking in the mud and muck they called the hogs over and rode them to the barn. My kids also rode the hogs with supervision.
    :lol: :lol: Love this story :thumbup:
    Old 09-22-2011, 12:49 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

oh, so many memories. making buckeye necklaces with grandpa. that grandpa also taught us to "belly up to the bar" haha. he poured us shots of rootbeer. I don't think HIS SHOT was rootbeer. We went to THE BLUE HOLE in Sandusky,oh every summer. Farmer Jim's swimming Hole; dad and mom would take us several times a week and daddy slept for a few hrs (he had worked midnight shift) while we swam w/mom. Family reunions. tents with my brothers in the back yard. Flooding the back yard just so we could catch nite crawlers to go fishing
    Old 09-22-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by cherrio
    oh, so many memories. making buckeye necklaces with grandpa. that grandpa also taught us to "belly up to the bar" haha. he poured us shots of rootbeer. I don't think HIS SHOT was rootbeer. We went to THE BLUE HOLE in Sandusky,oh every summer. Farmer Jim's swimming Hole; dad and mom would take us several times a week and daddy slept for a few hrs (he had worked midnight shift) while we swam w/mom. Family reunions. tents with my brothers in the back yard. Flooding the back yard just so we could catch nite crawlers to go fishing
    Flooding the yard reminds me of one family in my town who used to flood their backyard in winter, put up lights and played music for anyone who wanted to come and ice skate for free. I was finally old enough to go and had a wonderful time that Friday evening. The next day a novice skater, fell and broke her arm. Her parents sued the home owners. End of that. But I got to go once!
    Old 09-22-2011, 01:09 PM

All of your stories has me feeling quite nostalgic. This one thing I noticed. Nearly all of them have to do with Grandparents. So let's be sure to make great memories for our grandchildren.
    :P
    Old 09-22-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Learner747
    All of your stories has me feeling quite nostalgic. This one thing I noticed. Nearly all of them have to do with Grandparents. So let's be sure to make great memories for our grandchildren.
    :P
    Amen!
    Old 09-22-2011, 01:34 PM

My Grannie used to walk down the lane to the primary school with a cup of hot bovril for me at break time in the winter months. She also got me out of class once when I'd forgotten to put on my 'liberty bodice'. I walked home to her house after school and we'd toast bread on a fork at the open coal fire! She was a lovely lady!
    Old 09-22-2011, 02:21 PM

I have a sewing-related memory. When I was maybe 8 years old (in the mid-1950's), my dad managed a Williamson-Dickie men's clothing plant. I loved to go see the fabric being cut and all the women at the sewing machines.

One year my sisters and I needed all new underwear for back-to-school time. My mother bought yards of batiste, elastic, and even lace and drew out the patterns for three sizes of little girls' undies. My dad paid the fabric cutter at the plan to stay late and cut the layers of fabric. Then, with my dad fitting pieces together and my mother at the sewing machine, they made their own assembly line and made dozens of panties! With lace, even!
    Old 09-22-2011, 02:59 PM

I loved that our house was always full of people, no one locked they're house doors or cars back then, and people would drop in because they saw your car in the driveway.

If you got enough people in our kitchen (where everyone ended up) then dad would be playing guitar in the kitchen and someone else would play the spoons and then we had a kitchen party. There was always a pot of tea on the stove and fresh made biscuits, brownies and cookies.