Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Sharing the miniature horses....  my favorite event!  Warning: long illustrated post. >
  • Sharing the miniature horses.... my favorite event! Warning: long illustrated post.

• Sharing the miniature horses.... my favorite event! Warning: long illustrated post.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:52 PM

That is amazing! I bet they enjoyed it very much. I bet they were smiling the rest of the night! :mrgreen:
    Old 07-30-2009, 06:23 PM
    Power Poster

Karla...it was so nice to see all the pics of your lovely babies and all the seniors! They looked like they soooo enjoyed the day...thanks for sharing with them and then sharing the whole day with us!

Old 07-31-2009, 05:14 AM
    Banned

Wow! That was so fun. I felt like I was right there. THANKS Karla. It looks like everyone enjoyed themselves...
    Old 07-31-2009, 03:36 PM
    Banned

Karla, when you say you "clip" the horses, what do you mean? All the horses I've every known had a summer coat and a winter coat, which they shed (with the help of some good currying) when the weather got warm.
    Old 07-31-2009, 04:22 PM

Thanks so much for showing us the photos Karla. It's always so fun to see the minis. You really made the day for the seniors!
    Old 07-31-2009, 04:33 PM

Karla ~ Thanks so much for including us in on the Seniors "Mini Field Trip". The pictures are wonderful - boy the babies sure are growing.

Thank you for taking time out of your day to brighten our senior citizens!

Piedmont Quilter
    Old 07-31-2009, 05:28 PM

Karla, when you say you "clip" the horses, what do you mean? All the horses I've every known had a summer coat and a winter coat, which they shed (with the help of some good currying) when the weather got warm.
    gaigai--when I had big horses--it worked just as you described... but minis tend to hold on to their hair longer. Jazz, Gypsy, and Chloe shed out fine--with a LOT of elbow work, but Rosie, Whisper and most foals, need some help to get the hair off. I've clipped Mazie twice because her hair is as dense as a lamb! She gets so itchy and hot, so off it comes. Tucker's hair was getting longer, so I decided to see what color he was under there. Now it'll be Whisper's turn. :wink:

I enjoy clipping--but since the foals aren't trained to be tied yet--it's a crazy job. It usually takes me three clipping sessions to get them done. They hold still pretty good, but fuss about some areas. Actually--most of my horses loved to be clipped--they seems to fall asleep to the sound of the clippers.. :D But--picture being sweaty and having little horse hairs all over your bare spots. :roll:

Minis also get clipped before a show--Kay does a lot of clipping in a year!
    Old 07-31-2009, 08:04 PM

Thanks for showing us your wonderful pictures. I kept thinking about how much my mom would have loved a day like this. She rode horseback to a one-room schoolhouse. Of course, the horse wasn't a mini! She would have ADORED Mazie!!!
    Old 08-01-2009, 10:37 AM

My mom was a horse lover too. But, she died before I got back into horses. I often miss having her here to experience these miniatures.
    Old 08-01-2009, 10:46 AM

I forgot to mention that my mom's youngest sister, born when mom was a hs senior, had a pet baby shetland pony. She would sneak it into the house, to my grandma's dismay. When she lured it onto the dining room table, that was the end of the pony in the house! The pictures of Aunt Dot and the pony are darling - a tiny girl with Shirley Temple ringlets with a pony the size of a large dog.