Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Sharing the road with semi trucks >
  • Sharing the road with semi trucks

• Sharing the road with semi trucks

Old 10-08-2010, 03:45 AM

Oh, just a gentle reminder- when you tangle with the big boys, they usually win!!! I give them every benefit when on the road and most of them appreciate it. I too have a fleet of trucks on the road and just like bicycle and motorcycles, they need a special respect!!!
    Old 10-08-2010, 03:58 AM

My car weighs in at about 4500 pounds. At 65 to 70 mph it takes 350 to 450 feet to stop the car.

A semi (loaded) can weigh in at 80,000 pounds (or more). At 65 to 70 it takes more than 1000 feet to stop the semi.

On weight alone in an accident the truck outweighs my car 20 to 1. Bad odds all around.

That's why you shouldn't pull into the "safety zone" a trucker leaves between themselves and the traffic ahead of them.

Give 'em room, give 'em respect and keep your lights on low beam.
    Old 10-08-2010, 04:21 AM
    JJs
    Banned

Originally Posted by catmcclure
    My car weighs in at about 4500 pounds. At 65 to 70 mph it takes 350 to 450 feet to stop the car.

A semi (loaded) can weigh in at 80,000 pounds (or more). At 65 to 70 it takes more than 1000 feet to stop the semi.

On weight alone in an accident the truck outweighs my car 20 to 1. Bad odds all around.

That's why you shouldn't pull into the "safety zone" a trucker leaves between themselves and the traffic ahead of them.

Give 'em room, give 'em respect and keep your lights on low beam.
    and an EXCELLENT reason why overloaded log trucks should NOT tailgate while exceeding the speed limit!.... they follow so close that you can't even slow down to pull off the road and let them by (which is what DH does every time he can).
    We won't even bring up the drivers who don't even have a license or insurance.. or the ratty condition of the log beds, or the tires left all over the highways and backroads ...
    Old 10-08-2010, 06:15 AM

I drive big rigs and I agree that some of the other big rig drivers are just plain STUPID. Makes one wonder just WHY they have a CDL at all. 4 wheelers have their moments too and should remember the "advantage (or dis-advantage)of gross tonnage"
    Old 10-08-2010, 06:34 AM

Great thread, Bear....my hubby always says truckers are great drivers....give em room.....
    Old 10-08-2010, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
    Great reminder....I have always had a "soft spot" for truck drivers....have been helped more than once when travelling and got into difficulty. One in particular saved me and my car when the alternator went during a stormy night on a freeway. I was stuck, with no lights, no way of getting out, vehicles travelling at speed all around me. A knight in shining truck pulled in behind me, set up hazard lights and pushed me off the road into a safe place. Checked I was ok...made sure I had phone contact with my husband and stayed 'til he got there.
    OMG so you are saying he put his job on the line for you?

For those who don't get it - that is exactly what that trucker did. They have to work on delivery deadlines and the time he spent helping her set him back! Bravo truck driver :)
    Old 10-08-2010, 08:06 AM

I learned a long time ago to RESPECT the big rig. My car or truck will always come out the looser whether it is my fault or not. With that said, I was on the freeway in a construction zone. You know how cars pull in front of semi's. I literally saw this semi stand on his brakes and the whole truck/trailer bounce to keep from hitting these fools. I would have gave it less than a yard of space btween them.
    Old 10-08-2010, 08:33 AM

My SIL drives a big rig.[has for 12 yrs.] And NO WAY would I ever do that. Those trucks are BIG. Bless his heart as he gets to see his family maybe once a month.[Not by Choice]
    Old 10-08-2010, 08:46 AM

Add one. These vehicle cannot stop on a dime. Don't try to squeeze in or dash out in front of them.
    Old 10-08-2010, 09:44 AM

I have driven big rig, still have license and I know there are some bad truckers out there. My daughter was run off freeway by one. Not good for trucker as he did this in front of HP. I have seen a huge accident involving many trucks on snowy freeway in Iowa. Started when a 4 wheeler clipped the snow plow.

My husband spent more years out there then i did and he has lots of stories of drivers that changed lanes in front of him and slammed on brakes. He is a very alert driver and managed to avoid accidents.. On icy bridge in Portland, OR car changed lanes, he just prayed as it disappeared in front of him(you can't see below hood something that close). He stopped just inches from him. I know OR now has freeway signs saying it is illegal to pull in front of truck in safety zone and you can get a ticket.

Another time in SLC, a girl in a little pickup pulled out of shopping center on 45 MPH main road in font of him. She had a drink in 1 hand and Taco Bell bag in other and could not make corner. He almost broadsided her, another case where he couldn't even see her vehicle when he stopped. Just waiting for crash, but she was lucky. he doesn't remember noise, but could smell the brakes. Must have made noise because people at businesses all came out to look. Girl in truck just threw it in reverse and backed up, didn't even look behind her. She was fortunate that no one else was coming out that drive. Hope some of these people learned their lessons.

I have a great respect for truck drivers and even if it slows me down, I give them the hills and room to turn.

He also has had incidents where cars will not allow him to change lanes to get on proper freeway because they do not want to be behind a truck or something. It is not easy to turn those trucks if you have to take a detour to get back to right route. Sometimes on thers big freeway exchanges you have to make a lot of lane changes in a short amount of time. Play nice.

My advice for those who do not want truckers on the road: Do not buy anything that was delivered in a truck!