Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • She doesn't sew but.......... >
  • She doesn't sew but..........

• She doesn't sew but..........

Old 01-13-2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by karenchi
    Wow....never knew so many quilters "pack" a gun. Don't carry it when you go to a fabric sale....LOL
    My husband said, He is gonna be on the lookout next time we go into a fabric shop. Who knows how many quilters have them under their machines!!
    Old 01-13-2011, 01:45 PM

I've thought that might be something DH and I could learn to do together someday, go to the range, but I worry a bit with having such little kids in the house about how to keep the gun where the kids can't get it but I could get it in time if it was needed. It seems like I can't have it both ways....
    Old 01-13-2011, 02:30 PM

I was robbed at gunpoint in my church parking lot a few years ago. Sometimes desperate people do desperate things.

I grew up in the 'woods'... so guns don't scare me. They aren't for everyone. I've shot em, tried a few out with family members who are NRA instructors. But up until now, I haven't bothered to get one of my own, take classes, get a CCP and join a range.

As i was told, it's not just the initial investment of purchasing a handgun or rifle. You need to learn correct use, how to be safe with it, get your license.. and... continue to practice with it at least every week or every other week for the rest of the time that you own a/the gun.

Practice makes perfect, safe. Learn how to strip it, clean and put it together..until you can do it with your eyes closed (as my national ranked, longrange, sweet niece has told me over and over. <grin>)

In a defensive situation, it will do absolutely no good, if through inexperience, you fumble or mess up when you need to actually use it. To be responsible and to act safely, you can't just take the course, get the gun and then put it on a shelf.

As someone else here said, (a NRA instructor on this thread), you do not 'show' it unless you mean to use it. Likewise, you cannot use it in a tactical situation... when your pulse is hammering, and you're sweating in fright ... unless you've drilled yourself in it's use until it becomes second nature.

Guns in half-trained hands or 'excited' hands scare me everytime.
    Old 01-13-2011, 03:29 PM

WOW!!! I have been able to shoot since i was very little, spent a lot of time in Mississippi where my Fathers side of the family lives, grew up shooting, shotguns, rifles,pistols, then married my high school sweetheart and he became a cop, i could shoot better than him, and nobody messed with me or my kids.
    Old 01-13-2011, 04:43 PM

I can't imagine owning a gun, much less shooting it. Scares me to even think about it. Guess I lead a protected life. A gun is the last thing I would think about.
    Old 01-13-2011, 04:55 PM

I also have one
    Old 01-13-2011, 04:58 PM

I want to do the same. Good for you!
    Old 01-13-2011, 05:03 PM

As a Canadian, I don't understand why Americans need to have guns. We live on a farm with lots of wildlife including coyotes in the back and racoons, skunks, foxes and groundhogs. We don't even own a gun and neither do my neighbours. Merv up the road has one but he is a police officer. Buying a gun would just never cross my mind and I was really surprised about this post.
    Old 01-13-2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
    As a Canadian, I don't understand why Americans need to have guns. We live on a farm with lots of wildlife including coyotes in the back and racoons, skunks, foxes and groundhogs. We don't even own a gun and neither do my neighbours. Merv up the road has one but he is a police officer. Buying a gun would just never cross my mind and I was really surprised about this post.
    The four legged animal doesn't bother me, that's not why I own guns. It is the two legged beast that bothers me. I am not scared, I just happen to enjoy target practicing and going out to shoot a few rounds at the local abandoned quarry.
    Old 01-13-2011, 05:26 PM

Wicked! I have a 380 semi-auto. I like the revolver better but I'm more accurate with the 380. It is amazing how many quilters own guns. I wonder what else we have in common.

FREE Quilting Newsletter