Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Shipping charges - Your opinion desired! >
  • Shipping charges - Your opinion desired!

• Shipping charges - Your opinion desired!

Old 07-16-2010, 06:22 AM

I usually shop the on-line stores that gives free shipping if you order a certain amount. However, if I am shopping at a site that charges shipping, I always check out the shipping amount. I might pay it if I am getting the fabric cheap enough. I do not like sites that you have to wait until the end to find out.

I don't mind paying shipping when it is reasonable, and especially if they don't charge sales tax. I really have to love the fabric for me to pay shipping and sales tax. I do not shop at a store that also includes a handling fee, unless it I absolutely have to have the item and I can't find it elsewhere :)
    Old 07-16-2010, 06:28 AM

Shipping is always a factor when I'm purchasing online...I want to know ahead of time and will always use the calculator when it's provided to let me know before I hit that key...
    Old 07-16-2010, 07:59 AM
    QKO

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    Originally Posted by cinnya
    I don't like it when they will only give me the shipping charges AFTER I give them my cc number :thumbdown:
    I refuse to buy from places that do that. It makes me feel like they could charge my credit card no matter what. And they're trying to be sneaky and make the customer commit...as in, "Well I'm already THIS far..."

I like free shipping deals, even though I know it's not really free. With Fabric.com, the $35 = free shipping is the perfect price point. $50 is kinda a deal breaker, even though I've been known to drop that much in one shopping trip. I laugh at shops that say $75 or $100 = free shipping.

I also like the ones that do flat rate up to so many yards. I usually max out the flat-rate on that, but that could also max out how big of an order you get. Like $5 flat rate shipping for up to 10 yards, for example. I'd get the 10 yards, but if I normally will buy up to 13 yards, I'd probably not get the extra 3 yards because it would result in an extra $5-6 in shipping, kwim?
    A couple of comments on your post.

I don't know how some places expect people to order without knowing the shipping charges first. That one is beyond comprehension, yet a lot of carts are set up that way. Unbelievable.

Fabric.com, a subsidiary of Amazon.com, is sort of the 1000 pound gorilla here. They get shipping rates at about half what the rest of us can, because Amazon has their own UPS depots and can take advantage of huge volume discounts in both shipping rates and packaging materials.

They're basically attempting to do in the online business what Wal-mart has done in the big box business, i.e. run all their competition out of the market. They've pretty much succeeded in the quilting book business (check how many online quilt shops carry books anymore) and now they're after fabric. And we all know what happens when there is only one supplier left.

On flat-rate shipping; While we do use flat-rate priority shipping whenever it makes sense, I'm at a loss to figure out how some stores can claim to put 10 yards of fabric into a USPS flat-rate priority envelope. The most I can get in there is about 3 to 3.5 yards without running the risk of tearing the envelope (they're thin cardboard) or having it returned by the postoffice. Of course, we do add internal protective packaging to our orders, so that takes some room. If I tried to put 10 yds in a flat rate envelope I'd run a huge risk of having the product damaged enroute, and I'm not prepared to run that risk. Indeed, I'd never get it past my postmaster, because it would mean overstuffing the envelope really badly, which they don't allow. And a small priority mail box, forget it. I want to see how you fold and compress 8 to 10 yards of fabric into a space essentially the size of a video cassette before I'll believe that one. :lol:

Anyway, thanks to you and everyone else for contributing to this thread, it really really really helps us to see how our customers are thinking, as we make plans for rolling out our new and improved webstore.
    Old 07-16-2010, 07:59 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by QKO
    Thanks for the advice, but I've been running an online cart for four years and have shipped many thousands of orders, so I'm not exactly new at the game. I also do all my own cart modifications and programming, so I do know my way around the USPS shipping API's.

Our cart incorporates the USPS shipping calculators, and they are, as you stated, accurate, but that's provided one of two conditions exist; you're either only shipping one or two items at a time, or you're charging a handling charge that takes care of all your additional packaging and paperwork weights.

Let me give you an example: We know exactly what our fabrics weigh; batiks weigh less, heavy fabrics more, and we put those weights into our product records, then they go into the shipping calculator at sale time. We also know what our packaging materials weigh, so we need to add that to our product weights, since our customers prefer we don't add handling charges.

So, let's say one yard of fabric weighs 8 ounces, and the packaging material for that weighs 3 ounces (you have to pay to ship the envelope, paperwork, internal packaging, etc too.)

So, you set your weight at 11 ounces for a yard. Now, someone orders two yards. You give the estimator the total weight, now 22 ounces, when actually you only have one set of shipping materials, so you're off by 3 ounces. Now multiply that by 10, for ten different one-yard cuts ordered. Now your shipping estimate is off by 30 ounces from actual weight (probably about 24 ounces because you have heavier packaging) and your USPS shipping estimator has overestimated shipping costs by several dollars or more, depending on destination.

See the problem? No way around it, because you still need to estimate packaging accurately for small orders. So you're not exactly "golden."

We have customers that order lots of small amounts of different items, for instance, 20 half-yard cuts. Their actual shipping cost can be many dollars below the estimate, particularly on international orders where the estimate can exceed the 4 pound limit for International First Class parcel, where the actual weight does not.

Our regular customers know how our system works, and that we adjust the charges down to actual when we ship. But a first-time customer doesn't, and often abandons her cart during checkout when the shipping charges are overestimated.

If you can come up with a solution to this problem that doesn't involve a separate package-weight charge (i.e. a handling charge) the entire online selling world, at least the people who sell multiple items shipped together, wants to know about it.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking seriously about going to flat rate shipping, at least for USA orders...

This is the reason I retired before I was 35!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy
    Old 07-16-2010, 08:09 AM
    QKO

Believe me, retiring for a second time is looking really attractive at this point. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    Old 07-16-2010, 08:31 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by QKO
    Believe me, retiring for a second time is looking really attractive at this point. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    Trust me I tried not doing anything and that only lasted a few months. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I started painting/building high end show cars and bikes and still do now at my own pace. What I like about it is that I can come and go as I please and I can work when I feel like it. Hence my riding a pro built chopper for over a month around the country starting in September!

But I think Flat rate shipping is the way to go. A lot of my suppliers are like that and there is no hidden charges and you know what your getting into from the get go.

Good luck with the shipping issue but one thing to remember is that you can only please just so many folks anyway. If they are going to gripe about the shipping then you dont want them as customers anyway.

Billy
    Old 07-16-2010, 09:52 AM
    Power Poster

If shipping seems to high, I don't order. I usually order from sites with free shipping over a certain dollar amount and wait to order til I can spend enough to get free shipping.
    Old 07-16-2010, 10:08 AM

Free shipping is good.When I go shopping at stores I spend gas,wear and tear on truck and buying more than I need or planned.Everything costs money and shipping is part of that.
    Old 07-16-2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Fiber Artist
    Free shipping is good.When I go shopping at stores I spend gas,wear and tear on truck and buying more than I need or planned.Everything costs money and shipping is part of that.
    You are right. There is something good about being able to shop from home. And it does cost money, especially where I live, to drive to fabric stores, only to not have what I want! It is worth shipping charges to get what I want, when I want it. Okay....so I have to wait for it for a few days. :|
    Old 07-16-2010, 02:06 PM

There have been many times I didn't complete an online sale after seeing the shipping charges. If they are reasonable, I don't mind, but sometimes the shipping is as much as the purchase!! Free shipping is enticing, but not always such a bargain either. You sometimes have to buy more then planned to get it. It's a hard call sometimes. :?