Should I tell my husband?

Old 04-07-2012, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by cizzors
You were going to try to get the machine to "sew long enough to sell it"? Really?
It isn't exactly what I meant, I just thought if I could get the machine to sew then it wasn't broke. I don't do well with computers and figured it was just me somehow setting it up wrong. I would tell someone it seemed to be having issues but they might be better with computers than me. I just sold 2 machines and told the buyer that one of them hadn't been used in at least 10 years and would need to be serviced but I got it to sew so she could see the motor and gears worked. The other one was in a cabinet and I don't have room, she got a good deal for $50 for both. And if I decide to sell this one I will tell the buyer it's issues but sometimes a buyer only wants to know the motor and gears work and they have the ability or someone they know has the ability to fix it. And I would price accordingly.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Good to hear.....Tell him how silly you feel about it and that you need to go to the fabric shop cause 3 machines use a lot of fabric......LOL
Good thought and this afternoon I am going to visit a lady from CL that is selling her mother's quilting supplies (fabric, thread, magazines and thread) so I will need enough for 3 machines. So I need to buy three times as much!
Old 04-07-2012, 08:17 AM

Guess one of the main reasons I'm single?
Old 04-07-2012, 01:41 PM

Why not make something for him that he would like and use and then tell him about the machine
that you sewed it with. Be honest, spill the beans. How lucky. I too have 3/ too many machines.
My husband always know when I spend $$$$ and I know when he spends. We are retired so that is
important.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:42 PM

There may be some element of finesse and negotiation involved in these matters. Money is frequently a tricky issue in a marriage, even when people have a comfortable income. You probably know how your husband will feel about this better than anyone else does. If the spending really is a problem, perhaps in the future it would be best to negotiate a budget in which each party has specific discretionary funds that don't have to be explained. Then you will have to save up for more costly purchases beyond your monthly budget. That's the advice I've often seen in magazines. I can't get my DH to come up with any such plan, however. We've managed for 40 years just muddling along as situations arise. One time, many years ago, he asked what I'd spent on something and I said "about as much as a round of golf." That pretty well squelched those sorts of questions about my discretionary purchases from then on, because he played a lot more rounds of golf than I bought whatever it was.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Crqltr
We tend to go with the don't ask don't tell system. I would not lie but I don't always open my mouth either.
A woman after my own heart. It's not lying. It's just not talking... something my DH really appreciates since I usually tend to... uh... blab... LOL! Info on a need-to-know basis is how I roll!
Old 04-08-2012, 03:23 AM

For me, I would share with him what happened. We would both get a good laugh out of it. And I am sure you and your hubby will as well. I don't like living on eggshells, so keeping something from him is more work than just telling him. Seems to have worked for 40+ yrs now.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:09 AM

What's another machine? How many screw driver SETS does he have?
MaryKatherine
Old 04-08-2012, 07:03 AM

I don't want to start a fire storm here but why would you try to sell a machine you know is not working right?
Old 04-08-2012, 09:47 AM

i wont lie to my husband , i just wont bring it up !!! if he happens to ask i will tell the truth