Show me your duffle bags

Old 05-31-2017, 10:52 AM

Default Show me your duffle bags

I want to make a duffle bag & have seen several tutorials/patterns online. Has anyone ever made one? Do you have pictures to show me? Do you have a free pattern/tutorial site that I could follow? I want to make one that finishes out around 18" long x 10" or 12" high x about 6" or 8" deep. I don't want a huge one but a good size to hold quite a bit.

This is the pattern that I'm thinking about making but it doesn't have an interior lining or interior pockets.

http://noodle-head.com/2013/10/cargo...t-kaufman.html
Old 05-31-2017, 03:19 PM

I have that exact duffle bookmarked, but I haven't made it yet. I ran out of time before my last trip when it would have been perfect. Part of my travels then included a leg on a commuter aircraft and everybody with the suitcases with wheels had to check their bags at the gate and I was allowed to take my (purchased cheapo) duffle on. It was great to save time and not wait for them to bring the bags out. Here is another link where someone reviewed the noodle-head bag you mentioned and made some changes to the pockets (replaced with one zippered) and the handles:
http://owensolivia.blogspot.com/2014...er-series.html
Old 05-31-2017, 03:35 PM

Here is the one I did - it's from a pattern listed here:
https://www.byannie.com/shop/product...on-travel-bag/

It has an interior padded pocket for a laptop as well as a zippered pocket on the outside, and a couple of slip pockets. I used a double ended zipper so I can open from either end. The website says it's 18 1/2" x 13 3/4" x 8 "
Attached Thumbnails carry-bag-resized.jpg   carry-bag-interior-resized.jpg  
Old 05-31-2017, 04:58 PM

Mine...easy!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...g-t285063.html

sandy
Old 05-31-2017, 06:30 PM

Thanks so much for the pictures & tips & links. Kathy T, thanks for the review link. I was wanting to sub the two pockets with a zipper pocket & I love that look. I found a lot more reviews/changes/helps by searching "Noodle-Head Cargo Duffle Bag Revies". There is lots of good info on a lot of sites. Guess I will have to do some copy & pasting to combine everyone's ideas & tips. I really like the idea of using the double zipper.

Keep pictures & comments coming....I need all the help I can get!
Old 06-01-2017, 04:02 AM

wow nice. i like
Old 06-01-2017, 05:26 AM

I have made 9 of them--and guess what? Not one for me. Folks love them and they are great for travel, but I also made them before lap tops were an extension of everyone's arm (lol).
Old 06-01-2017, 06:07 AM

Carolynjo, after 9 you would be considered an expert! Any pictures or links to the pattern you used or tip you learned along the way?
Old 06-01-2017, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

why not cut 2 of everythnig for the liining and add pockets, you can do that.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:15 AM

Almost anytime you want to add lining to any bag, you can simply make another 'outside' and put it inside with wrong sides together and it becomes a lining. You can use the pattern or just measure the pieces of the finished bag and cut those sizes (be sure and add seam allowances). Sew on pockets before sewing up the sides. In a regular purse/tote, you can make the lining in one long piece and simply square up the bottom corners to fit. In a duffle such as this one, I would probably cut out the side pieces and sew them to the front and back for more structure. Once inserted, you can topstitch the top edge right next to the zipper to hold the lining in place. Often I will cover a piece of hard interfacing with matching fabric to insert in the bottom and give it even more stability. I do this separately so that it can be removed to launder the bag.