Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Silent and Invisible "Relative" >
  • Silent and Invisible "Relative"

• Silent and Invisible "Relative"

Old 06-08-2018, 08:59 PM

We got mail for my husband's ex wife for years. Two moves later, her mail was still following us. I finally started writing "Deceased" on it and putting it back in the mail box. It stopped after that
    Old 06-08-2018, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Anniedeb
    No, but for years we got tons of mail for a "Darcy" with our last name. The funny thing is I purposely made up the name, to see if the "we don't sell our mailing lists" was true or not. It started with one then two, and grew to the point she was listed at our address in one phone book! We still get a piece or two, but now I always mark it "return to sender, deceased". Your case is different though. I think I'd report it, and check my credit report just to be sure.
    I’ve heard this is a good way to track who’s selling your name. Use a different middle initial or made up name for subscriptions and the like. I still occasionally get mail from a subscription many years and two addresses ago with my misspelled first name. I found out how this happens when I attended a seminar for work about keeping your mailing lists current. There’s a way to run the list and update from PO change of address requests. My SIL whose name is Luis F. gets all kinds of mail addressed to Lois F. because somewhere along the way someone misspelled his name. Funny thing is they’re mostly stuff directed to older ladies. When they come DD hands it to him and says, “Here’s another catalog for you, Lois.”
    Old 06-09-2018, 02:44 AM

There is one telephone company that has a dreadful employee. My first bill and all subsequent ones were my first name misspelled and my last name had a burgs added to the end. I finally got rid of the mail, and cancelled the phone company.
    Old 06-09-2018, 05:04 AM

Well, so far Panera does not seem to have sold the name I gave them for their loyalty card. I gave them the cat's name, and Willow has never received any mail here.
    Old 06-09-2018, 05:54 AM

In 1992, my husband and I started on a mission to get rid of junk mail. If there was a business reply envelope in it, it went back with: "Please take this name off your mailing list. Thanks!" Some days we had five envelopes to send back. That stoped most of them, but some were persistent, so I filled a 9 X 12 manila envelope with lots of stuff and glued their envelope to the front of it. That stopped some more. One company that I did that to did not stop, so I told them that next time I was going to send them a box of rocks. They stopped then.
    Old 06-09-2018, 06:29 AM

I had social services come here looking for a woman with my last name to check on the welfare of my children. I tried and tried to tell them that my children were in their 30's and hadn't lived with me in years. They thought I was "hiding the children"...police were called, I had to show my drivers license...I had lived here for 20 + years at that time..what a mess. They never even apologized for being so rude to me...just said something like " stuff happens"...guess it's the world we live in now.
    Old 06-09-2018, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by donna13350
    I had social services come here looking for a woman with my last name to check on the welfare of my children. I tried and tried to tell them that my children were in their 30's and hadn't lived with me in years. They thought I was "hiding the children"...police were called, I had to show my drivers license...I had lived here for 20 + years at that time..what a mess. They never even apologized for being so rude to me...just said something like " stuff happens"...guess it's the world we live in now.
    That is really scarry! What if you did have young children!? Would they have arrested you? Would they have taken your kids? How much trauma would they have caused? After finding their mistake, I guess the answer would be the same one you received.

Last edited by SillySusan; 06-09-2018 at 08:35 AM.
    Old 06-09-2018, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by donna13350
    I wonder if you were "swatted." Someone mad at you reported that you were abusing your children. Maybe you were lucky that it was just CPS and not a SWAT team!
    Old 06-09-2018, 11:29 AM

I do have a daughter Susan, but she hasn't lived with me for 35 years and never at this address. She gets all that sales type mail here with her maiden name, which she also hasn't had for 35 years. I also got my ex husband's deceased wife's mail for several years after they both passed. That was aggravating and took several trips to the PO to get stopped.
    Old 06-09-2018, 12:59 PM

I was getting way too many telemarketing calls so when we decided on a new landline phone we bought the one that lets us block them during the first call. Now it rings once & hangs up on them. Saves me so much time!
    We still get mail for the folks who lived here for only 3 months, I hand it back to the carrier who says it was a sub driver. He dislikes returning to work after his days off because he has to straighten out the mistakes of others.
    One time when we lived in NW Houston we got mail to me from former Pres. George Bush(papa) regarding a Sunday school activity in town. Turns out the new wife of a distant cousin of DH was in town from New Jersey finishing medical school. I called & they apologized. The cousins wife returned to Jersey before we could invite her to dinner!