Sink in island?

Old 05-03-2016, 05:55 AM

My island comes out from the wall at an angle with the sink and dishwasher closer to the wall than the end of the island. Sort of tight fit in my opinion but that's how it was when I bought the house. If ever I have the money I want to bring it out straight from the wall and then turn to one direction or the other like an "L". Its too close to the fridge and counter on the next wall nearest it. I love having an island though.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

I vote for nothing in the island too. sinks or stove tops take up too much room to use the island for anything else. Good luck.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:10 AM

NO, NO don't do it! I have had it not ways and much prefer the big, flat plain island. I would change mine if I expected to stay in this house, but am just living with it......NO, NO, No, don't do it!!!
Old 05-03-2016, 06:17 AM

I don't know that I'd care either way, but I've never had a sink in my island so I can't tell for sure! I would want a raised portion so any stacked dishes couldn't be visible from another room, if that's an option/issue. But otherwise I don't think it'd make any difference to me either way.

The important thing to me is the overall layout of the workspace. You want a good convenient triangle to work in, with sink, stove, and main counter space as the three points on your triangle. Is your kitchen built up to the point where you can stand in it and envision where things would be? Try to pantomime cooking...can you get from the sink to the counter to the stove and back without having to go around obstacles or walking too far? If not, what can you move?
Old 05-03-2016, 06:36 AM

I don't have an island just a peninsula with a sink and dishwasher BUT... If I had it to do over I'd have left the sink in front of the window. Main idea was to have helpers with dishes but it never worked out that way. I'd prefer a large open space to work and eat at.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:02 AM

My friend just had their entire main living area remodeled. The kitchen and great room are one HUGE area. She has an enormous island with a sink in it, facing the great room. I suppose that's a plus because she can visit/watch TV while doing dishes. Her trash drawer is also right by the sink, which is handy. There's also a very long wall of cabinets and uninterrupted counter space.

When she had a bunch of us ladies over for a b'day party, everyone stood around the island on all sides! So yes, they were still "in the way" if the idea is to keep people on the OTHER side while the cook is cooking/cleaning up. LOL. People feel so at home there that we stand or sit wherever we want but everyone wants to stand in the kitchen, no matter WHAT size it is, right???

I've often debated the pros and cons of "island living" as well. For me, I prefer the sink facing a window because I do dishes more often alone than with people nearby. Also I like having the sink close to the stove because it makes transferring full pots back and forth easier. I spill too often to want to risk dropping a pot on the wood floor! And I think a large, flat surface is ideal for serving buffets, sandwiching quilts, doing craft projects, sorting stacks of stuff, etc.

Sounds like a tough decision.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy
Sorry I am no help. I never liked islands in the kitchen - it was something extra to run around while cooking or cleaning. But that is just me. I love to see large kitchens, just don't want to maintain one.
My view too. I would just junk up an island anyway. Now the "junk" is on a counter against a wall and hopefully less noticeably. lol
Old 05-03-2016, 09:42 AM

I think it depends on how you use your kitchen. If you are thinking of a pull out faucet so you can fill large pots right on the stove, then it could be a plus. For me, I do a lot of cooking, canning, bread making, etc., and like the idea of a large uncluttered space. maybe google pics and look at what's out there.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:12 AM

I would like to have a big enough kitchen to consider the option lol, just think about the way you use your kitchen and what works for you.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:23 AM

If you are building from scratch, it isn't as hard as remodeling and adding a sink in the island, but there will be considerable plumbing involved to get water to the island from wherever it comes into the kitchen in the walls. This will be more piping in your slab. There are pros and cons to that, but having seen a friend's problems with the pipes in his slab and what it cost to fix it, I think I'd avoid it.

Yooper is right. You do need electrical outlets in the island. I've had one island with them and one without. I really prefer that my island has outlets.

ps: I LOVE having an island. I have a large kitchen and the island keeps me from having to always walk clear across the room. I can just put stuff on the island then put it away when I'm on the other side. It also makes a great place to set up a buffet when you have people over.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 05-03-2016 at 10:27 AM.