Sink in island?

Old 05-03-2016, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

I vote for extra sink in island, not a big one. It really comes in handy for prepping food.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:37 AM

I have a large island, with a gas cooking stove in it. Love it. I have my sink on the half wall between kitchen and den. I wanted a dishwasher on each side of the sink, but didn't get it. I have plenty of workspace on the island. I have a large dining room table to cut on, or upstairs in a large sewing room. There are 2 plug-ins on the island walls, pans under the stovetop, and little cubbies for veggies on the cooking side of the island. I have done a lot of cooking, now I'm almost too old.ha,
Old 05-03-2016, 11:24 AM

Thanks so much for all the great answers. I've decided to put the sink under a window because I do like to look out. I agree that it will be better for a buffet. Also I will ask for outlets on the sides. Thanks again.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

I see a lot of homes on a regular basis. Just looked at a new one this morning. I would say the size of the island would determine whether or not I would have a sink. Definitely not a cooktop. I know a lot of sloppy cooks and have been to their homes when using a cooktop on an island. I especially am not fond of getting splattered with hot grease. One thing I have seen and believe to be dangerous (jmho) is an island cooktop no larger than a few inches around the cooktop. To me it just makes no sense. There is no bar nearby or other small island. This was a builder's house whose wife was against it. It was on the market for 3years after they lived in it for a few themselves. Most of the negative feedback was because of the "island cooktop". Since he was able to he made the island bigger. Also since his little girl easily burned her fingers a few times.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:29 PM

I'm with everyone else who says NO to anything on the island...I hate the idea of a stove there...little kids or adults banging the pots, burning themselves and a sink would end up with dishes stacked around it...nope...the island is where all the work happens in our house! You need a large open space.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:38 AM

I have a very small kitchen, with not much countertop. I put in a 3' x 4' island, with nothing on it. It's been great--it allows for food preparation and quilt making (cutting, marking, layering, pinning . . .). I would not want anything to mar its surface. I do have my sink under a window, and I have no dishwasher, so this has been a wonderful arrangement and having a small kitchen is no longer a problem.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Yooper32
My sink is in the island and I like it that way...what I don't like is , no electrical outlet put on either end of the island. That would have been so handy.
Easy to add outlets. Call an electrician.

Sandy
Old 05-04-2016, 04:21 AM

We put a very large island in our kitchen and I love it. There it's. Nothing in it and four propel can eat around it on high stools. I wouldn't out a dink in it. I use mine as a great cutting table for quilting, and for many more projects. A sink, stove, or whatever would really be a detriment for me.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:32 AM

I just remodeled our kitchen and I adore my huge island without a sink or stove. My daughter has her sink in hers and it's very nice too, but I find it gets messy. I think it's totally up to you whether you like something neat and tidy or a sink with dishes etc in and around it several times a day.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:53 AM
dms

I have a prep sink in my island and I love it. I also have my dishwasher and garbage disposer in it. It works so great. Someone can be doing dishes in the other sink and the little sink is free to rinse and load dishwasher. Hope this helps.