Skunk smell remedy?

Old 07-10-2013, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
There was a solution for skunk smell posted on QB. This is a remedy for a dog. In a plastic bucket mix...1quart 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, I Tbsp. liquid dish soap. Add 1quart warm water to thoroughly wash the dog making sure to not get any in the eyes because it will sting. I imagine the same solution would work on any surface that could be washed.
My daughter worked for vets for 15 years. They say this recipe, except not dish washing detergent, use baby shampoo.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:38 PM

I heard hydr.peroxide and white vinegar...but I dont know about the house and its contents. A friends dog was sprayed twice last year and thats what she used.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:39 PM

[QUOTE=Central Ohio Quilter;6169594]Our neighbor just came knocking at our door to ask for advice in getting rid of skunk smell. Last night a skunk followed their dog to the back screen door and sprayed through the screen, into their house. He said the smell is unbearable inside their house.

Their clothes, furniture, and everything in their house just reeks! He is looking for advice on how to get rid of the smell in the entire house. I told him tomato juice is supposed to work for the dog, but I didn't know about the whole house!

Any ideas or suggestions?[/QUOTE

i found a recipe in a news paper many years ago. it was from the University of California Ag Extension Office. it works. only thing i have ever tried that does.

quart of hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, 1 tsp of liquid soap. i use dish soap, put all in empty gallon milk jug. have used this so many times and it has never failed. for your furniture and inside house try spraying surfaces, but make sure carpets & furniture will not be affected by the hydrogen peroxide. baking soda is maybe a possible treatment? the skunks aroma comes from sulfide products in it's perfume. baking soda, a base, may counteract the acid.

good luck!
Old 07-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan
There was a solution for skunk smell posted on QB. This is a remedy for a dog. In a plastic bucket mix...1quart 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, I Tbsp. liquid dish soap. Add 1quart warm water to thoroughly wash the dog making sure to not get any in the eyes because it will sting. I imagine the same solution would work on any surface that could be washed.
I have used this with great results and being all natural ingredients they shouldn't be harmful to any furniture or fabrics like rugs and curtains.

good luck with your situation.
peace
Old 07-11-2013, 04:11 AM

I have a lovely dog that has managed to get skunked 5, yes, 5 times. I've tried the home remedies. The best way is send the dog to the groomer and let them do it. It was only $10 more than a regular bath. Bear has gotten sprayed across the muzzle and that's a little tricky to clean. One word of caution is that when they get wet, there will still be a slight odor for at least a month after. You would think that she would learn.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:24 AM

Years ago when we lived on a camp ground our dog regularly got hit by skunks. A large can of tomato juice followed by a regular bath worked just fine. Vinegar also works great. The juice wouldn't work on furniture but the vinegar might and would evaporate with time. Don't miss those days at all!
Old 07-11-2013, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dollyo
I have a lovely dog that has managed to get skunked 5, yes, 5 times. I've tried the home remedies. The best way is send the dog to the groomer and let them do it. It was only $10 more than a regular bath. Bear has gotten sprayed across the muzzle and that's a little tricky to clean. One word of caution is that when they get wet, there will still be a slight odor for at least a month after. You would think that she would learn.
You win! One dog we had only got it twice....
Old 07-11-2013, 05:09 AM

My friend had this happen @ her house. Dog came in after the shunk got him outside, and proceeded to "mark" her carpet, furniture and walls of 2 of her rooms. She contacted the insurance company. They not only hired a "Restoration " Company ( who normally deal with smoke & fire damage) but they also brought her new carpet and furniture.....and even had a painter redo her walls. There was a "down side" to this story. They said she would have to pay the "vet bills" as they were not covered.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

I have always heard to use tomato juice. Especially to bath a dog with after encountering a skunk. I guess the acid in it renutilizes the smell.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:56 AM

baking soda in bowls all over the house and that helps