Skunk smell remedy?

Old 07-11-2013, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dollyo
I have a lovely dog that has managed to get skunked 5, yes, 5 times. I've tried the home remedies. The best way is send the dog to the groomer and let them do it. It was only $10 more than a regular bath. Bear has gotten sprayed across the muzzle and that's a little tricky to clean. One word of caution is that when they get wet, there will still be a slight odor for at least a month after. You would think that she would learn.
Our dog gets skunked at least 3 times a year. The hydrogen peroxide, baking soda combination does work. Will work for the inside also. (We also had very old cats and it worked on their urine smell in the house.)
Old 07-11-2013, 06:09 AM

I had two Saint Bernards that both got it at the same time. WHAT A MESS! The peroxide/ baking soda with baby shampoo does work... it took several saturations to really get the odor out. For weeks I thought I could smell it but I think my "memory" was so strong I could not erase the " smell memory" . Yes being the one that did the clean up.. I did get that smell on my clothing....and washed them several times in vinegar.
My vet once recommended using douche .... I had a real problem going to the store and buying several cases ( remember two big Saints) .. I just knew there would be "looks". So I went the peroxide route first.
Please be aware that some skunks carry a virus that can be very serious if a dog gets a direct "hit". The virus is transmitted through the spray if it gets into the eyes. A very close friend lost her golden to a direct skunk hit. So keep a close watch for any changes in your dogs behavior /eating/sleeping habits etc.

Last edited by Lori S; 07-11-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

I would wash everything with Oda-Ban..You can buy it at Sams Club...
Old 07-11-2013, 07:39 AM

The baking soda/peroxide/liquid soap combo is the absolute best, at least on skunked dogs, but DO NOT try to store the mixture--mix it and use it, as it expands! That's why the scientist who discovered the formula just gave it away free instead of trying to make money; it cannot be bottled once mixed.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
There was a solution for skunk smell posted on QB. This is a remedy for a dog. In a plastic bucket mix...1quart 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, I Tbsp. liquid dish soap. Add 1quart warm water to thoroughly wash the dog making sure to not get any in the eyes because it will sting. I imagine the same solution would work on any surface that could be washed.
This works-I have used it on my dog and the blankets she just had to roll on!! LOL
Old 07-11-2013, 09:09 AM

Used coffee grounds scattered around work better than anything. They should be wet, but be careful of furniture or carpet that may discolor. I promise it really works. My friend's white furbabies got "Skunked" and it worked like a charm, they were tan for a short time, but that is a much easier problem to fix
Old 07-11-2013, 10:59 AM

for my dog, we used tomatoe juice - it neutralizes the odor
Old 07-11-2013, 12:15 PM

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone! I have passed them on to the neighbor!
Old 07-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Normabeth
for my dog, we used tomatoe juice - it neutralizes the odor
But it is such a mess. That's why we went to Nature's Miracle. It is a clear enzyme-eating solution that doesn't smell and it does the job.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:17 PM

A couple of years ago our 5 dogs tangled with a skunk, first time. 4 of them seemed to have run, but my Ibis, known as the problem child we never had, instead of running away from it, ran to catch it!
Did you know that skunks can climb wooden fences?

Hydrogen peroxide worked on her, but she wasn't allowed to come into the house for a few days, so the house was spared. I have no suggestions for the house, but do like the 'call your insurance company.'