Skunk smell remedy?

Old 07-12-2013, 07:06 AM

There is a product called SCOE 10X. I can't recommend it highly enough. I have used it myself, and it does everything they say it will do. It even gets out skunk smell.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
Our neighbor just came knocking at our door to ask for advice in getting rid of skunk smell. Last night a skunk followed their dog to the back screen door and sprayed through the screen, into their house. He said the smell is unbearable inside their house.

Their clothes, furniture, and everything in their house just reeks! He is looking for advice on how to get rid of the smell in the entire house. I told him tomato juice is supposed to work for the dog, but I didn't know about the whole house!

Any ideas or suggestions?

There is a spray that hunters use on themselves that masks their scent. I had a dog that got into skunks several times and I tried all the "remedies". The best way I have found to kill the skunk smell is to bath the dog, after rinsing spray Skin-So-Soft on and rub it into the coat, dry the dog with a towel, then spray with the hunter's scent killer spray. Let it dry, don't wipe it off. Worked for me..........
Old 07-12-2013, 12:35 PM

Fish tank charcoal removed rotten meat in a frig that was turned off and left for weeks. This works, you might try wrapping furniture in plastic and putting it in bowls inside.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Nature's Miracle. We buy it by the gallon.
Yes. This worked when our three dogs all got skunked at the same time (many years ago - we only have one dog now). They ran back into the house and rolled on the carpet before we even knew what had happened. This happened early one morning and my husband showered and went to work, leaving me to deal with it. Later he was sitting at a conference table with several other people on the 9th floor of a building, and someone commented that he could smell a skunk. DH didn't say a thing. The vet gave me a recipe to try that had hydrogen peroxide (as mentioned earlier), but after 3 baths each the dogs still stunk. The Nature's Miracle Skunk Remedy helped, but that was after all those baths. Our noses got immune to the smell at some point, and it does fade.

I hesitate to recommend tomato juice. I wasn't about to try that because when dogs are wet they shake. Can you just imagine what that would do with tomato juice?! It was a chili early spring morning, so not for bathing little dogs outside.

NEVER spray Fabrese or any other non-veterinary recommended product on a living thing! Good grief!
Old 07-13-2013, 02:41 AM

This happened to my boss. They had to replace all their furniture, carpet, paint, and even their clothes because the smell would not go away.

A year later, it happened again.

They moved.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:44 PM

Use the recipe Tartan mentioned above. My golden retriever has been skunked 4 times in the past two years because we have a stupid skunk living under the hay in our barn. Mix it up, put it on and LEAVE it on for 10 minutes, then rinse. Repeat if necessary. Shouldn't take more than two times to get the smell out. But for sure, don't let the dog in the house until it doesn't stink. The oils in the skunk spray will NOT come out of furniture or carpet or clothing and use old clothes while bathing the dog because the peroxide will bleach them if it comes in contact with the fabric.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:35 PM

When my hubby shot a skunk 'inside' our quonset barn with concrete floor, someone recommended Masengil douche solution. Don't know how it would apply in a house. I have misted with vinegar and also prepared a steam with vinegar.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:09 PM

The peroxide stuff works very well, we used dawn dishwashing soap in the mixture, it works as a surfactant that gets the skunk oily spray to rinse off!. Peroxide may bleach fabric..test it first. I know it turned the wire haired Jack Russell bright white!!

I've also heard that cola will work, as its very acidic and will strip the oil off the dog's coat. I would think any of it would burn if it gets in their eyes.

I seem to remember my mom putting some kind of oil drops in our Westie's eyes, and cotton balls down in his ears, but that was 45 yrs ago..I forget what type oil! It was not baby oil, but it was colorless. Even when she just bathed him for the sake of bathing him. Odd what we remember!
Old 09-15-2013, 01:15 PM

Our dog just got sprayed the other night. I used 1/2 quart peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and a couple drops of dish soap.(mix in plastic dish) Protect dog's eyes with a dry cloth. bathe with mixture, rinse & repeat if needed. We have an 8# dog. for larger dog, double. This worked great! Much better than tomato juice did a couple years ago...
Oh, leave on dog for 5 minutes before rinsing.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
There was a solution for skunk smell posted on QB. This is a remedy for a dog. In a plastic bucket mix...1quart 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, I Tbsp. liquid dish soap. Add 1quart warm water to thoroughly wash the dog making sure to not get any in the eyes because it will sting. I imagine the same solution would work on any surface that could be washed.
This recipe worked WAY better than tomato juice for us.