Smart phones.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

I have the AT&T Cingular. One Iphone has the unlimited everything 24/7 for $30 a month. When AT&T dropped that plan we were grandfathered in to always have it at that price until we drop it. I let my niece have that unlimited on her phone as she is in school and uses wireless for everything. She's on our plan. My Iphone plan is $25 a month for a limited amount of wireless time. I have never gone over so it must be a lot for $25. I'm thinking of dropping it to the $15 a month charge. At home or in a wireless area the phone won't use the AT&T wireless, it will use the available wireless. We have 3 smart phones on one plan and I don't know the actual bill amount. I'd have to look it up. DH pays all the household bills and hasn't complained about the phone bill at all so he feels it's reasonable or I'd know about it. LOL
Old 04-22-2012, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
I felt that way too, unnecessary, didn't need, etc. But now that I have it my iPhone is my very favorite electronic device. I gave up my paper calendar, paper address book and purse photo album. Everything is backed up on the computer. Smartphones - great invention.
Ditto for me!!! Had a flip phone for years... kids kept telling me... Mom... you need a smart phone. Got a new job and corporate phone. Marvelous piece of technology.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:58 AM

Love mine!
Old 04-23-2012, 06:16 AM

I love my smart phone. I use it to get my business emails. Also, like the GPS feature. Used that more than once.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:26 AM

I've joined the smart phone crowd also. Well actually my DH got one when he crushed his old phone and decided he wasn't going to use it that much and he new I would because I use the texting and he does'nt so he took my old flip phone because thats all he uses a phone for is calling and receiving calls. I really like the smartphone.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
what is an average bill for a smart phone, using many apps? just wondering.
This depends entirely on several factors: 1) who is your provider; 2) how much do you use :a) talk time; b) email; c) data transfer/downloads..... its not all "so simple" to be able to quote a price. I have AT&T, a daytime "minute" plan (with unlimited nights and weekends); I use my iPhone for email (when away from the house); texting, and I use a LOT of "apps" (GPS, Google search and even games) so I have the maximum data plan which is $25 monthly (added to the service plan for phone service)...let me say I have no "home" phone and I don't need one. Here is some valuable info...if you have a wireless internet at home, when you use your iPhone (at home) to connect to the internet, download apps, data and etc., you are NOT charged for those minutes (AT&T) as you are ON your own network... I hope this makes sense and is not more confusing, lol. I LOVE my iPhone and wouldn't trade it for anything... I have two home computers, a laptop and wireless home network.... I love my iPhone and use it constantly as it is my only phone.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:27 AM

my hubby bought me a smart phone last week and i never thought i needed all that "stuff" but i love mine now that i have figured most of the phone out !!! cant seem to put it down
Old 04-23-2012, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
what is an average bill for a smart phone, using many apps? just wondering.
I wanted to add to the above answer - your bill is determined by your phone, text messaging, and internet usage, not by how many apps you use. Once you purchase an app, it doesn't cost anything to use that app unless the app itself either accesses the network to run, or offers further products to purchase.

I have a "dumb" phone, but I also have an iPod and I can't live without my iPod! I resisted getting one for a long time, then finally broke down and my DH bought it for me. I absolutely love it. When my current phone contract is up, I'm upgrading to an iPhone.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:13 AM

Am I sill to be afraid of a phone that is smarter than me????? I also have just the flip phone.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Just want to say how much I love my smart phone.

I was the type that said I don't need a phone that does anything more then make a phone call. I can't believe I was that narrow minded, sign of old age to resist the new as my DGD informed me. LOL.

These phones are amazing. I can't imagine what will come next! How fun!
Same here! I got the older version iPhone for C'mas and love it! It is great to have quilting apps on my phone to help with my lack of math skills when buying fabric, along with a note pad for shopping lists, checking email, reading the QB, etc.