Smart Spending

Old 09-18-2013, 12:15 PM

RugosaB's post about the Pampers reminds me about the time that I happened onto a clearance bin full of Melitta coffee filters at our grocery store in about 1989. The company had discontinued or "improved" the ones that I used all the time, and the clearance price was dirt cheap. I bought several boxes, and when I got home and realized that the cabinet above the fridge that had almost nothing in it could easily accommodate more, I went back and bought the rest. We had a supply that lasted more than 7 years! I got teased by the family. I think I saved only about $50 dollars, or maybe a little more since the price may have gone up during those 7 years, but they were not using valuable space and they didn't deteriorate at all in that time, so why not?

My late MIL used to laugh about walking downtown every month as a young bride to pay her utility bills in person to save on stamps. Stamps were 3 cents back then, but a penny was worth more than it is now. Anyway, later she joked about the cost of shoe leather that she probably wore out, but the fact is it was good for her health to do that walking, and I'm sure she enjoyed chatting with various people around town, so it was well worth it to her.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:47 PM

When I need to buy a gifts, especially wedding and shower gift I buy it at Bed Bath and Beyond, I cash in my Discover cash back, for every $20 I cash in I get $25, Discover sends me the certificates worth $25 through the mail. I take the certificates along with my 20% off coupons I signed up for (emails and coupons mailed to me) So for instance, if I want to buy a gift for $100, I cash in $80, I end up with $100 in certificates, then when I go to purchase I use a 20% of coupon which makes the price $80, I get a $20 gift card to use next time. Or you can cash in $75 in discover cashback, get $15, get $15 from 20% coupon and pay an extra $10 if you don't want to get a gift card with the change left from the purchase. I hope I explained this okay!
Old 09-19-2013, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P
RugosaB's post about the Pampers reminds me about the time that I happened onto a clearance bin full of Melitta coffee filters at our grocery store in about 1989. The company had discontinued or "improved" the ones that I used all the time, and the clearance price was dirt cheap. I bought several boxes, and
That sounds so much like something I would do!

Our credit card gives 'miles' for every dollar spent, double miles on some things. We have been putting everything possible on our credit card, because we can cash in our miles for money off our bill, which is a good thing. I learned last year we can also cash in the miles for gift cards. One of the choices is Walmart, plus they give a $100 gift card instead of $50 off our bill, so we get the gift card, since we go to Walmart anyways. Plus, any purchase there over the amount of the gift card, we use on the cc is double miles!
Old 09-19-2013, 04:12 PM

I do many of the things already mentioned: cloth diapers, no paper towels, no interest payments except the house, half of all raises went to savings, etc..

-I also kick shoes off at the door which extends the life of the carpet and removes the need to have it cleaned.
-My children were taught to keep their hands off the walls which meant my walls didn't need repainting ever.
-I bought used cars and drove them into the ground so that my average monthly cost of an automobile was less than $100 a month (plus the amount for oil changes, insurance, gasoline, etc..)
-I bought most of my furniture used, including Thomasville dining room set and Ethan Allen wall units and end tables.
-All clothing from infant to 4T was purchased at garage sales. I did spend money to buy them new shoes though.
- I learned to give the children haircuts at home and my husband always cuts my hair. His haircuts are now done at home too.
- I never bought soda pop away from home (not from a machine or at a restaurant). We waited until we could drink what we had in our own refrigerator. Now I don't drink soda at all.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:38 PM

I like to buy already loved purchases. I bought a beautiful oak bedroom set 60 yrs old for a fraction of what the furniture store wanted for something imported. Resale stores can find great bargains. I don't buy everything there but I do love a good bargain. I shop clearances. I like to buy my fabric on sale and or clearance where I can. I reuse my color catchers if I can. I like to make my own gifts, which seems to be loved. I love to be smart with our money!
Old 09-21-2013, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by RugosaB
That sounds so much like something I would do!

Our credit card gives 'miles' for every dollar spent, double miles on some things. We have been putting everything possible on our credit card, because we can cash in our miles for money off our bill, which is a good thing. I learned last year we can also cash in the miles for gift cards. One of the choices is Walmart, plus they give a $100 gift card instead of $50 off our bill, so we get the gift card, since we go to Walmart anyways. Plus, any purchase there over the amount of the gift card, we use on the cc is double miles!
Today I got something from the credit card company that they're giving 1.25 miles per dollar spent. Might not sound like a big deal, but really it is, when almost everything is put on the cc. Our new roof was, but the A/C guy said he preferred not to (which we TOTALLY understand)