Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • A smile can make all the difference >
  • A smile can make all the difference

• A smile can make all the difference

Old 08-24-2013, 09:27 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

one of my daughters works retail at a gently worn resale type store for kids clothing, toys etc. And the people who come in there with attitudes, snarly remarks, ignoring their kids rude entitled personalities irritate the crap outta me! I just wish they could see themselves on video! So, yes a smile goes a long way.
    Old 08-24-2013, 10:24 AM

I was in WalMart the other day and an old gentleman went up to the counter and asked where the vitamins were. She was really snippy, pointed in the general direction and said, "they're right over there!" He said he had looked but was confused. She heaved this big sigh, slammed that short door coming behind the counter, walked over to the aisle and said, I told you they were right here!" and walked away. I felt so bad for him. So I, being the busybody that I am, asked if I could help him with anything. He was so grateful and said he wanted a multivitamin because he's 80 years old and wants to "stick around awhile longer". He was told by his doctor to take one daily. I showed him where the multivitamins were and he said that he'd heard of Centrum Silver, so I showed him how much he could save on the WalMart brand that had the same ingredients. He was so appreciative and thanked me over and over again. I was glad to do it. I'm sorry that I didn't report the worker though.
    Old 08-24-2013, 10:32 AM

That worker needs a serious attitude adjustment. If you remember her name, her counter (and the time/date), and/or any identifying details, you can still go to WalMart.com and report her. If it were me, I'd go back to the store, find her, make a note of her name, then report her. I have a real "issue," with people who abuse (verbally or otherwise) children or senior citizens!

Originally Posted by michelleoc
    I was in WalMart the other day and an old gentleman went up to the counter and asked where the vitamins were. She was really snippy, pointed in the general direction and said, "they're right over there!" He said he had looked but was confused. She heaved this big sigh, slammed that short door coming behind the counter, walked over to the aisle and said, I told you they were right here!" and walked away. I felt so bad for him. So I, being the busybody that I am, asked if I could help him with anything. He was so grateful and said he wanted a multivitamin because he's 80 years old and wants to "stick around awhile longer". He was told by his doctor to take one daily. I showed him where the multivitamins were and he said that he'd heard of Centrum Silver, so I showed him how much he could save on the WalMart brand that had the same ingredients. He was so appreciative and thanked me over and over again. I was glad to do it. I'm sorry that I didn't report the worker though.
    Old 08-25-2013, 12:49 AM

I hate mobile/cell phones. Actually it's not the phone it's what it makes people become that I don't like. Rude, ignorant, anti- social just to name a few. Worst are the morons who use them while they drive - they're downright dangerous. DS, I Pods etc are making the next generations just as bad. No matter what people are using it all boils down to BAD manners.
    I personally try to smile at everyone and I'm almost always polite to the person on the other side of the service counter. Exceptions are if they want to carry on a conversation with someone else. I'll put my hand over my purchases until they take notice and then ask them "Are you serving me or talking to your friend. If you are talking to them you aren't serving me." I have even had to explain how rude they are being to a couple of young things. If someone is prepared to go out of their way to help me I will take the time to seek out their boss and pay a compliment about their employee. It may take an extra 5 minutes but it's worth it in my opinion I will also let the person know how much I appreciate their extra effort.

A smile costs nothing but can absolutely make your day. I let a young man on a motor bike into traffic one time and the beautiful smile he gave me made me feel wonderful towards everyone all day. That's when I decided I would pass it on every chance I got. Makes me feel good too. I am a fairly upbeat person- my DH says I'm ridiculously happy. I choose to be happy. Of course I've had my trials & tribulations but I believe there is always someone with more to carry on their shoulders than me.
    Old 08-25-2013, 10:49 PM

I take orders on the phone and in person at work and I can tell you that some ppl are rude and just plain mean. It doesn't make sense to me why ppl are so rude to someone working in what is or close to a minimum wage job. There was a woman who told a csr that works with me that she sounded stupid right after her greeting then asked if she was smart enough to take her order. After we close we still answer the phone to say were closed. I've had several ppl say "Then why the %$$# did you answer the phone." Because it is RINGING.

Be nice to the ppl that make your food, work the cash register, etc.

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Not just a quote from Bambi.
    Old 08-26-2013, 08:43 AM

I agree, how wonderful the world would be if everyone tried to be nice. I try to approach each person I meet with love in my heart. Maybe it will only be a brief encounter but let us make it a pleasant one.

In college I worked in a neighborhood drugstore and noticed some of the older people in the area would come in almost every day. Like they just wanted a little social interaction. I made it a point to be extra pleasant to them and chat if I had the time.

My sister had a bumper sticker that read "Impermanence = Compassion". I could never figure it out, finally I asked her about it. She said, when you realize that you and the people in your life are not going to be here forever, you want to treat them more nicely. Suddenly it all made sense.

(((HUGS))) to all my smiling QB friends!!
    Old 08-26-2013, 09:08 AM

One of my favorite sayings is that "Smiles are free and easy to give"
    Old 08-26-2013, 07:16 PM

I have found that 95% of the people I deal with are really nice folks. The other five percent you could line em up, shoot em and nobody would miss em. There are just some people who are so self centered, that they are oblivious to anything and anybody around them. They cannot empathize with others because they only focus on their own selfish needs. That said, I try my best not to let those people affect the way my day goes. It is much better to appreciate the good guys.
    Old 08-26-2013, 08:25 PM
    Power Poster

I usually encounter pleasant and helpful people at most of the places I stop at.

Even most of the customers seem civilized most of the time.
    Old 08-26-2013, 09:45 PM

My husband travels a lot for his job. You would not believe how many times he's been upgraded to first class simply for being pleasant, kind, and chatty to the staff at the airline counters. Those people take more abuse than they could possibly deserve.