Smoker's challenge

Old 06-25-2011, 04:15 PM

i quit with the straw but i stuffed the straw with cotton balls so when you take that drag you have some resistance like in a cig best of luck i havent had one in 9 yrs
Old 06-25-2011, 04:19 PM

I think the gum is a good idea. What about some books to read or can you go swimming or hiking?
Old 06-25-2011, 05:31 PM

I quit 24 years ago for the final time... though I had tried many times before. My suggestion is to closely watch her smoke... see the filthy smoke as it comes out of her mouth... knowing that it had been inhaled into her lungs first... really see it for what it is... POISON! Smell the smoke... it's not the pleasant aroma you once thought it was... it stinks! Look at the ashes and ground out remnants in the ashtray... add a little water... smell that! Take a taste of something after you've quit something for even a few days... the taste is something you've been missing the entire time you were smoking... savor it... knowing that the longer you do not smoke... the better everything will taste.
GOOD LUCK... YOU CAN DO IT!!!
Old 06-25-2011, 06:09 PM

Chantix medicine works great, no cravings! Good luck on your quitting smoking.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:24 PM

I quit cold turkey 2 months ago, the day before my triple bypass. That should be enough to scare the h____ out of you!! And I was on the verge of a massive heart attack, and the doctor said I would not have survived it. Need I say more? Good Luck!!!
Old 06-25-2011, 06:25 PM

I quit 30 years ago, "cold turkey". Buy several packs of Wrigley's Gum. Also, play with the wrapper if your hands need something to do too. Good luck - let us know how you did.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:44 PM

My son also used Chantix. He no longer chews either!!!
Old 06-25-2011, 06:44 PM

You can do this! Just keep thinking: I've done so well so far, I don't want to ruin it now. Think of all the ideas given above; also, you might want to keep some mints on hand, like Life Savers, etc. You might want to get up once in a while and go for a walk all by yourself. This may help to clear your mind and head.
Just keep telling yourself: I can do this; I can do this; I can do this!
Good Luck--from someone who used to smoke two to three packs a day. NO MORE!
Old 06-25-2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Just-Lee
Originally Posted by annyroony2
If you want to quit smoking, you can. All you have to do is to make that commitment to yourself and KEEP IT. I quit cold turkey after smoking for over 40 years. I was and still am very proud of myself!! I love to challenge myself and believe me that was quite a challenge.

Just remember, you are one puff away from a pack a day, so don't smoke that one!!!
How did you get past the anxiety, or was that a problem for you?? I have an extremely horrible, emotional time..crying, try sleeping to get past that feeling, etc. I can't function like that. I must quit, but I don't want to have a nervous breakdown doing it! Wow, that sounds very pathetic, but it really is that bad for me :(
I know the feeling. Everytime I try to quit I just sit and bawl and babble and make no sense to anyone and I just want to scream, etc. My biggest problem is all my closest friends smoke and I have zero will-power.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:06 PM

I lost my mother and my sister while in their very early 50s. That was a real wake up call for me. I quilt cold turkey, and it was the hardest thing I've done, but the best thing. Now I can't stand the smell of smoke. Be strong and do it for yourself. If she smokes in the house, go outside when she lights up.