Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • So Many Embroidery Machines on CL Lately? >
  • So Many Embroidery Machines on CL Lately?

• So Many Embroidery Machines on CL Lately?

Old 03-03-2018, 06:42 PM

the cost of using an embroidery machine can put people off. is never ending it seems to me always needing a diffrent stablizer or whatever. I learned on my own & totally addicted. I have to stop sometimes and actually make a quilt. 2 quilts done for 2018 so far & many emb projects.
    Old 03-04-2018, 06:36 AM

I bought an embroidery machine a few years back. Nothing that fancy. I used it some but I'm not sure I would purchase another one. I don't use it enough to justify the cost. Also as others have said there is quite a learning curve on these. I know mine will do more than I have used it for. You can also learn to digitize etc. I never have. Also they become outdated so watch what you buy. A lot of the patterns I can purchase now won't work on my machine. It is hard to tell what will and won't work. I feel they outdate faster than I am comfortable with. I don't have that kind of budget.
    Old 03-04-2018, 08:31 AM

I bought a Babylock Ellegante embroidery machine11 years ago. It took me a full year before I tried the embroidery function but now use it almost as much as the regular sewing/quilting. I've never taken a class and I'm no expert, but I have fun learning as I go. I've embroidered rag quilts, can koozies, t shirts, golf cart seat covers,and recently tried quilting a throw size quilt in the hoop. [ATTACH=CONFIG]590146[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]590147[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]590151[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]590153[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 1070048546339043.jpg   img_0132.jpg   img_0285.jpg   img_20180304_113342_hdr.jpg   img_20180304_113324_hdr.jpg  

img_20180304_113648_hdr.jpg  

Last edited by janjanq; 03-04-2018 at 08:45 AM.
    Old 03-04-2018, 12:16 PM

Personally I love my embroidery machine and do not get bored as it embroideries the design. I have 5 machines and work on something else as I wait to change thread colors. Yes they are expensive if you want one that works with little trouble. It is not a cheap hobby because of the cost of designs, thread, stablizer and etc. I don't drink, I don't smoke, or gamble so machine embroidery is my vice.
    Old 03-04-2018, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy
    Most people think that getting an embroidery machine is all there is to it. They get it home and realize there is a lot more to it. My dealer was very nice but didn't really explain about the designs worked and picking thread needs to done with care. I went to a couple classes but they were more for the entire use of the machine not just embroidery. I needed a special class just to learn how to convert a pattern from a dvd/cd to my program for my Viking and then to the machine. Some machines come with very limited programs - so there is another expense. And there are different stabilizers and learning which one is best for the project can be a trial and error process. I call my embroidery machine my spoiled brat - it works fine when I am attentive to it - but let me leave the room or maybe sew on my other machine and it will misbehave. Not always - but enough that it received the title.

I have heard more people say it was more than they wanted to do - thread changes also annoyed people - and just put it in a closest or sold it. My friend and I figured it out together - it was so much more than I ever thought it would be and probably if I didn't have my friend, Carol, helping me out I might not have fallen in love with the machine like I have. Carol bought the Brother PE 770 after we got confident on my machine.

Oh boy, do I hear you! I can not seem to get the designs from the USB to the machine. I need a “carol”. I have. Bernina QE 770. I can take an individual class, which I will as soon as I have my ducks in a row. At 25$ hourly I want to spend the time learning
    Old 03-04-2018, 02:58 PM

Lots of people buy low end machines and find out they can only do small embroidery pieces. Then they move up & sell the cheaper model. If you love embroidery and can afford a good machine buy it. It seems such a waste to upgrade yearly or even more often. I got my Brother Dream Machine on sale with a bunch of extras for $6,000. Still a Lot of money but I love it

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-05-2018 at 09:33 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    Old 03-04-2018, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Fizzle
    Oh boy, do I hear you! I can not seem to get the designs from the USB to the machine. I need a “carol”. I have. Bernina QE 770. I can take an individual class, which I will as soon as I have my ducks in a row. At 25$ hourly I want to spend the time learning
    What problem or error are you having with your designs?

A couple of suggestions for you. I don't know your machine format but is the design in your machine's required format? It also has to be Un zipped if zipped. Do you know how to Unzip the files?

Make sure the design is on your USB. Plug the USB into your machine. You have to be in the "embroidery" mode and not sewing mode.

In the embroidery mode, you should see a USB stick. Then you should see your individual designs.

Another tip, generally you also have to put the individual files one by one on the USB.Don't put the designs in folders on the USB.

Check these tips with your manual. Come back with a new post if you are still having troubles and we will help you.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-05-2018 at 09:34 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    Old 03-04-2018, 04:54 PM

some times i get a lot of use with my embroidery machine, such as making all my Xmas post cards
    Old 03-04-2018, 06:01 PM

I have been in the embroidery machine hole since my husband purchased a Janome MC9000 for me in 1996 for a 25th Wedding anniversary gift. In 2001 he gifted me a Janome MC10000, I then sold on the MC9000 and purchased another MC10000. I have since passed on the 2 Janome MC10000's to my daughter and DIL. I then purchased a Brother Quattro 6000D and a Brother PR650 multi needle - 6 needles. I have now added a Janome MC15000 and my husband gifted me a Brother PR1050X 10 needle machine for our 50th Wedding Anniversary. The PR620 has been sold on and I am very happy with the Quattro, MC15000 and the Brother PR1050X. The price of the machine is only the beginning, all the extras can cost as much as the machine again. I certainly use all my machines and love the embroidery side. I am sure there are a lot of ladies out there who really love machine embroidery but I guess like a lot of things it is not for everyone.
    Old 03-05-2018, 02:07 PM

I was lucky enough to buy a 1958 Singer 401A (in 1958). I have used it for all sorts of work. It is versatile and works like a tank. I used to say that if the house caught fire, that would be the first item to rescue.