Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • So Proud of My Grands/Nieces/Nephews/Etc  Because... >
  • So Proud of My Grands/Nieces/Nephews/Etc Because...

• So Proud of My Grands/Nieces/Nephews/Etc Because...

Old 03-27-2012, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by judys
    Reminds me of my great-granddaughter. She is finishing her last year of treatment for leukemia and befriended a little boy since preschool who was wheelchair bound. She fetched things for him and really looked out for him in the classroom and outside. Sadly, she watched him choke to death in the lunchroom a few months ago. Very traumatic for the whole class but especially for her. Keep her in your prayers if you will.
    My prayers are with her.
    Old 03-29-2012, 09:22 AM

No grands, so I'm going to something my youngest son did, that made me proud
    He's in the Navy, on the USS Ronald Reagan, and at the end of his first deployment, he had won something, or did something, that earned him 3 free days when he got back to San Diego, meaning he didn't have to report to the ship.

Being in San Diego was his first time there, so he gave those 3 days, which I guess he was allowed to do, to another sailor who had 2 kids. Without those 3 days, he would not have been able to see his kids for 3 days. Since they were returning from a 6 mo deployment at sea, those 3 days as a Dad are pretty important.
    I guess my son figured the whole San Diego thing was so new to him, what's another 3 days?

Can you tell, I'm still proud of that?
    Old 03-29-2012, 11:38 AM

I have to brag about my oldest grandson. He is only 14 and already on track to go to the Air Force Academy. He joined Civil Air Patrol when he had just turned 13 and has gone up in rank quite a bit already. Through CAP he will have the opportunity to learn to fly. He has already learned lots of military type discipline and respect. He has always been a good kid, but some of the stuff he does now is outside the box for him. He has always been sort of cautious and the thought of him doing some of the training he has to do surprises me.

He also got an incredibly high score on his PSAT which he took early, more for practice and to see where he stood then needing to take it. Apparently whoever administers the tests send the scores to colleges and universities because he has been getting all kinds of college aps in the mail. He even got an invitation from a big university in Boston to come and spend the summer there. I forget which is was, and of course he is too young to go on his own, but it is still pretty cool.

Like I said, his goal is the Air Force Academy and then the Air Force but even if he changes his mind at some point or does not get selected we think that all of the work he has done will make him steps further to another career choice.
    Old 03-29-2012, 01:48 PM

I love hearing all of these stories about awesome kids!
    Old 03-29-2012, 01:58 PM
    Power Poster

Sooo happy you all have posted! We have every right to be proud of our kids!!!