Social Security

Old 07-22-2010, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

when you apply, the year you get money early (age 62) you are allowed to only make up to a certain amount for the year before you must pay them half of it back.
when i did that the amount was $11,000.00. I'd already made that much when i applied but didn't know the limit. anything i made over that had to be paid back $1 for every $2 i made over. so half.
last year it'd gone up to at least $13,000.00 you could earn. anything over that you pay some back.
they don't give anything to you without making it difficult. and you call and get different answers from every individual you talk to. just like the IRS.
oh well, i'll call tomorrow. first i must find our 2009 tax folder. maybe more info in that.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:13 PM

Oh that's terrible. I agree, you definitely want to get professional help, they can be a big help. When my mom passed away it was one day before the end of the month, my dad had to return that whole month's check. I thought that was really sleazy. Talk about kicking someone when they are down!
Old 07-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

oh yes, i know about having to return the check. it seems to me they always pay you for the past month, not a month ahead-yet they take it back. odd but true.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by lauriejo
Oh that's terrible. I agree, you definitely want to get professional help, they can be a big help. When my mom passed away it was one day before the end of the month, my dad had to return that whole month's check. I thought that was really sleazy. Talk about kicking someone when they are down!
They've changed this. My DH died on June 11, 2001, his last check was already in the bank. They never asked for it back and when I asked about it and they said they now pay you for the PAST month...so your family don't have to pay back.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lauriejo
I heard that years ago, it isn't anything new.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:56 PM

Oh how terrible! And the govt. wants to run more stuff. Yikes!
Old 07-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Power Poster

I retired this year, one year early and the young woman I talked to made sure I understood that I could only make up to a certain amount since I was retiring June 2nd. I convinced her I was going to be at home making quilts, when I talked to her several days later she even remembered me telling her that. I just finished the 3rd quilt since June 2nd.and I finished one before making them.
Most days of the week I am right here at home. If I go back to work, which I really don't want to do, I will wait until next July, after I reach full retirement age.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:12 PM

Ugh! My Ex passed away Dec 2009 & I had to fight for a little over half of his Soc Sec because he had a 2nd wife. Every wife or husband who the person was married to over 10 yrs is entitled to a portion. I'm a little older than her & she doesn't know it, but that gave me 4% more than she got. I didn't get any of his Military Retirement because of a nasty divorce & his lawyers/judge in this State cotton to the husband. I'm on Soc Sec Disability & when I have to file taxes for 2010, I'm getting help with filing taxes. I've done my taxes every year before now & gotten some back for last couple of years because of my Small Home Based Sewing Bus. Well, my Viking is in at the dealer for cleaning up & I have Home Health Care Nurse & Aides since after my Bilateral Total Knee Replacements/Back problems cropped up again plus other problems, so as long as I don't make over $400 I don't have to report it. I'm under that have to pay back $1 for ev $2 I make, so what's a Lady to do. I have 3 Quilts for Kids I'm working on, plus a quilt for a friend who went thru Hell last year (her house blew up from gas leak/she was in Burn Unit/now lives with her dau & her family), so that will be considered a Charity Quilt. There are a lot of charities I can make items for and stay busy.

God is in control, so he knows why we go through all these challenges. Yes, get a lawyer. They can go to court w/you if Soc Sec tries that. They can help you figure things out & get you on track.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:52 AM

Yes, we did and it seemed like we'd NEVER get them paid back. My husband had lost his leg and was on dissability. SS was sending checks to his ex-wife for their three minor children. When the youngest died in a fire accident she kept right on cashing his checks. Since she never worked they couldn't get any money from her. My husband had just enough taxes taken out of his check so that he didn't get anything back to keep them from taking money from him (he thought that she should have to pay it back). When SS took MY income tax return it came as quite a shock and I almost divorced him because he hadn't told me about it. They took my income tax return (around $2800) for the 3 years. I could have saved it by filing separately but decided that it would be better to be honest enough to pay it although I agreed with my DH that she should have had to pay it back.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:54 AM

That happened to me!! I just Pm you!