Social Security

Old 07-23-2010, 04:55 AM

YOu know, we that work for our SS benefits have to pay it back. SO stupid. I worked for the State medicaid and food stamps. We had fraud cases in teh thousands and they were not made to pay it back. They would take 10.00 a month off their current Food stamps to pay them back. How dumb was that? Also they can't recoop medical frmo anyone because no one has a job. It's those of us who have money that the govt seems to come after. My SIL's ex gets both their taxes for back child support and he had the girls with him those 3 years. Paperwork...Also he pays back 300.00 a month to medicaid because she won't work. What is wrong with this picture? My daughters dad never paid child support and I never got any back. When I did take him to court and they put him in jail, in one week he walked away and they would not pick him up because I had to go to court again. So after 1600.00 for a lawyer I said forget it. The gov't will take money back from whoever gets taxes back or has an income they can deduct from. At least in the state of Texas you cannot garnish a disability check. I am so sorry for those of use who face this delimma. Our society seems to help the helpless more than those who work hard. Right? Oops I think this is not allowed on the board. No politics. SOrry. Everyone have a great day.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:00 AM

SS is a nightmare all together. Praying that everything works out.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:32 AM

I retired young from the military, so I have a pension (thank God). I plan on taking SS as soon as I'm elligble. I will make sure that I don't exceed the allowed reportable income the year prior to collecting SS, just in case.

However, my hubby will be giving up his consulting business come December because he becomes elligible to collect SS... Do I understand that they will look at reportable income the year PRIOR to collecting??? If this is the case, he's gonna be upset to know he'll have to go another year before he collects any benefits or the actual year that benefits are recieved?
Old 07-23-2010, 05:44 AM

After reading all of this - can I just say....thank God I won't be dealing with social security!

How you might wonder. I work for a university (a "government" agency) and we do not pay into SS. I did not and never will have enough quarters in to have worry about it.

I am planning on retiring in 10 years (at age 52). That will give me 30 years with them. I will be at max retirement earning benefits so will not give them one more day than necessary. If I have to supplement my income it will be with a part time job, but am hoping that won't be necessary.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:01 AM

Folks - instead of getting half answers, or answers that only apply to someone else's situation, I recommend you go to the following site and see what it has to say. EVERY situation MAY be different...and for different reasons. The website is the official SS website: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/

Now - my story. I was married to DH#2 for 16 yrs. He died AFTER he was put on SS disability. According to the rules, if the widow/widower is NOT married when they turn 60, then they can claim 75% of that disabled person's SS (not sure if it's ALL SS, but you get my drift). I DID remarry at 55.....didn't realize what that meant. OH well...it says EVEN if you had gotten married and then divorced you can still get the "widow's benefits". DH#3 and I divorced, got my SS widow's benefits, and then remarried. WHY? Because DH#2 worked 38 yrs and paid into SS the whole time. When he applied for benefits, they denied him.....THREE times! Finally got smart and got an attorney and the attorney was able to get the benefits started...9 months before he died...after he was totally disabled!!!!! He was so angry he said to be sure and get those benefits. I made the mistake of NOT reading up on it before getting remarried. However, it has all worked out. The time and money SS spent in DENYING his claim could have put more $$ on someone else's table. As it is, they had to pay him anyway.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:12 AM

Just lost what I was typing so hopefully it was deleted. Anyway I know how you feel as about 15 years ago a similar thing happened to me only it was with IRS. Being single it took me a long time to get it straighten out and I still boil when I think of how much interest I paid out. Needless to say I check and recheck everything now.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:33 AM

You poor thing! I hope you get the mess straightened out with SS. It sure can be frustrating dealing with GOV agencies. Best luck in getting the mess resolved.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:14 PM

I know it doesn't seem like much, but the thing I tell my friends when they are having a bad is this:

God made a sunrises so that we can start over brand new every day.

After some tragic family losses, this is sometimes the only thing that keeps me going.