Son going to army basic

Old 05-30-2010, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Remember, no matter how long he is in the military,
that is his family. No matter where he goes in the world,
his family is always on call. When he is sick or injured,
his military family will take care of him.

Mother of ex-Army and ex-Navy sons.

Keep telling him how proud of him you are.
And when he gets to a base, send him goodies. I was
told the military fed them well, but was short on sweets?
and junk foods. (I kept them short at home, but this was
after they grew up!!)
awww sweety,,, there is no such thin as an ex-Army,, ( unless they got dischraged for bad reasons,,,) lol..
just wanted to mess with you,,,lol
Old 05-31-2010, 04:40 AM

Is he going active Army? Both of my sons are in the National Guard, my younger boy is in the Military Police and is scheduled to be activated next spring. We can only be proud of our sons and daughters that they are willing to serve their country, as hard as it is to see them go. Check when he is in basic training for a web site that you can maybe find pictures during basis. There is also a web site I found for parents and loved one that have soldiers in basic training and beyond. I actually found a girl on there and we posted back and forth alot and we were able to meet at the boys graduation, it was very nice to meet her, and we still correspond. If you are interested send me a pm and I will find the site for you. Thank your son and enjoy you time with him.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

Give him hugs a best wishes from me. I know it will be hard so you are in my thoughts and prayer.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by azgal
My youngest of two- son 19- leaves for Ft. Benning on Tuesday.
We're having a family bar-b-que today at my daughter's. It's going to be so tough! Got some projects lined up for the summer. I'm a teacher so I have some time off. Wish it was happening during the school year.......
Enjoy your BBQ and family time. Tell your son we are VERY proud of him! We are very proud of you too!
Old 05-31-2010, 08:11 AM

I know how you feel - everything all mixed up together - being sad, proud, lost, proud, worried, proud, scared, proud, so full of love it runneth over and your goodbye hug will be so tight you won't be able to engulf him enough in your arms and you won't want to let go, you want to protect him and not let anything or anyone hurt him but at the same time you want him to grow into a responsible adult and be a man and you are and will continue to be so PROUD. You will always remember his swearing-in ceremony if you're lucky enough to be there, and the tears will come and your heart will burst and you will never feel more proud and the American Flag will never be more beautiful. And when he graduates from Basic, this will happen all over again.

Ask me how I know.

Write him as often as you can, send him treats, find out from the Army Family Services or the Red Cross what he needs and send him care packages, encourage him and praise his accomplishments. Always let him know he has your support and that of your family and that his country appreciates what he is doing.

I will keep him in my prayers. Please thank him for me for his service. We are all proud of our military and what they do.

I think you've "done good" raising him. He'll be OK, mom.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:18 AM

Our grandson went right from hs to basic training in the army. The family tried to convince him to go to college, but he insisted this was right for him at that time. He is in Afghanistan and the family and church community have bombarded the young men and women with letters, notes, and packages. We will be happy to send to his troop when he is stationed somewhere. I know you are so proud, but yes, it is hard. GS said some fellas and gals NEVER get mail so we got busy. He will have many stories to share that will make you very proud both of him and our nation. We will pray for his safety.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:10 PM

Hugs hugs and hugs. That is hard I will definitely pray he never goes over seas and stays safe.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:55 PM

The site I spoke of is "goarmyparents.com". You may find someone who has a son or daughter that is training in the same place at the same time as your son. Good luck
Old 05-31-2010, 05:11 PM

From another Mom of 2 Army sons.
PLEASE tell him thank you!! It is a hard time of all of us parents. God Bless your son, and family.
LOVE
Old 05-31-2010, 05:37 PM

Your "momma heart" is breaking, terrified of this adventure your son is going on...when did he become big enough to leave home?? Can he fit you in his duffel bag? Cuz everyone knows that momma's take the best care of their kiddos!

I have 2 daughters in the military, USAF and Army. I am so proud of their choice (I know you are too) but if they aren't under my roof, I worry about them! South Korea and Iraq were not as scary for me as I thought they would be, now she wants to go back to Iraq <rolling my eyes>

Skipe is a great way to see and talk with the kids over in Iraq and I love the price of it - FREE!

Know that there are many here who have trod the path you are on and will understand any time you need to vent or need support.

(((((((((((((Momma hugs)))))))))))))))