Soy Milk....good or bad???

Old 04-14-2010, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

Did you know the chemical alternatives used to be approved as organic for big food producers are much worse for you. That certainly isn't in the mainstream media. I check to see if the dairy products are natural, no hormones, but organic is a waste of my money. I buy range free (not cage free) eggs though.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:34 AM
Banned

My daughter was diagnosed with Lupus about 10 years or more ago. About 6 years ago went in for more tests and found out that was a FALSE Diagnosis. Long story short, she found out she was allergic to milk, milk products and anything with whey in it! She stopped eating those things and all her muscle pain, tiredness and such disappeared almost instantly.
She couldn't keep real milk down as an infant and we put her on soy milk. As she got older she switched to regular milk. She does slip up when it comes to Ice cream and takes a Lactose pill(s) before she eats ice cream or cheese.

I just don't drink milk at all. Soy or otherwise.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:03 AM
JJs
Banned

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=47

that's a page that will explain What are goitrogens and in which foods are they found?

interesting reading...

if you don't have a thyroid problem they shouldn't have too much effect on you, if you do, they can cause havoc....

I tried for years to get my sister to quit drinking all the Slimfast made with soy - would she listen? No....
at some point you want to just throw up your hands and say, to heck with it...
Old 04-15-2010, 06:11 AM

Anybody who has had "estrogen induced" breast cancer should NOT touch Soy. It has estrogen in it and my Oncologist told me to stay away from it. (10 years ago)
Old 04-15-2010, 07:50 AM

Since there is soy added to so many processed foods, I've decided not to add any additional soy to my diet. Check out the labels on the foods in your home, and you'll find that you are already consuming soy products almost daily.

If you research online, you will find many articles that say soy can eventually cause problems with a healthy thyroid, and many that say it doesn't. I think you have to read a lot and make your own decision.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

What about people eating tofu, it is soy bean kurd?
Old 04-15-2010, 01:15 PM

I've heard that there are soy-fed cancers, but that's only a rumor as far as I know. I love vanilla soy milk as a quick snack. Lots of protein, and no ill effects as far as I can tell.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:06 PM

Thats the same thing with almost every single thing in world... "Oranges help with this.... Oranges are bad... Wine may help this... Wine is the leading cause of..." These researches only focus on a very small percentage of the human race... at most under 500 people are tested for these things that are "happening". In reality, everything is at fault for one illness or another.

I read that the American Obesity problem didn't start till a study done in the 70's that labled something as being the leading cause of something else (i think it was a type of fat and it cause people to get fat...) Then they started to make fat free products... all they did was replace the fat with something else that apparently was very tasty to us humans... and they never turned back, even though it shows in several studies, reports, you name it... that it's causing us to gain weight... but it has an addictive nature... Yes there are plenty of other things that are causing us to get fat... but that has more to do with either over indulgence or heredity... there are many factors to being overweight... but it didn't sky rocket till the 70's...

I have to drink Soy Milk, I have no choice... It's cheaper than Oberweis which is really the only milk i can drink alone with out being in something. I have never had a problem with it and the one I suggest is Silk... it's great for you...

Plus you cannot believe 60% of what you read anyways...

I hope that you try the soy milk.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Banned

I like the soy choclate milk, doctor said good for you with change of life. can not afford it now. so sorry I cant spell :oops: :oops: :oops: Penny
Old 04-16-2010, 04:02 AM
Banned

Well I'm on thyroid meds so guess I'll skip on the soy milk. :(