Space Age Hot Water Heater

Old 01-25-2017, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer
good luck on longevity! And my electrician, when our wired in smoke detectors when haywire could not believe we were using the original--he said for safety reason replace them every 5-7 yrs. Who knew?
Yes, smoke detectors now have the replacement date imprinted on them. I guess the "detection" part of the unit wears out although I thought it was every 10 years not 5-7 guess I'll have to check that out.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
cute!! my son swears they all need a pan underneath but ours doesn't have one either. Have fun..
Yes, rupture can happen, though I experienced only once in my life. I was in the midst of buying a condo - between offer and closing- when the water heater burst and flooded a finished basement. Luckily the tenant in the unit quickly stopped the water; borrowed a shop vac and vacuumed up all the mess.
The sellers had to replace the water heater before the closing. Because the tenant acted so quickly there was no damage in the basement even the wall to wall carpet was fine. Win, win for me. A few weeks later and it would all have been on me.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
It doesn't bother me..........I don't have a smartphone........
LOL. Me either! My husband just replaced our garage door opener and said "You can work this from a smartphone". I was like "Oh, good. If I ever get one I have something useful it will do"
Old 01-25-2017, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Nothing, I don't have a smartphone, still using a flip phone.

The washer/dryer is suppose to communicate any problems it is having i.e. dirty filter, clogging dryer vent or something wrong with internal parts. There is an app for this I am told, suppose to be handy when contacting Customer Service.

I just hope it doesn't discuss my "dirty laundry" with anyone.............LOL

Geri, I'm resisting being taken over by devices as best I can, but I'm beginning to think it's a losing battle. Not that that will stop me resisting. I'm not a child of the 60s for nothing!
Old 01-25-2017, 10:42 AM

I have a 27 y/o water heater and have been trying to figure out what direction to go in. I think I'd better hurry my decision though, because a burst water heater for me would cause a LOT of damage.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

DH installs ours. It's easy, just metal hoses connecting to the hot water and cold water outlets. The heater is plugged in a socket already there. Now if it is gas or propane he wouldn't connect the gas to it without an inspection.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:47 AM

Let us know if the water heater calls you on that app!! LOL
Old 01-26-2017, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
cute!! my son swears they all need a pan underneath but ours doesn't have one either. Have fun..
Most "pans" for under a water heater may hold a cup or two but if the water heater "goes" that's gallons of hot water coming out, a pan won't help much, except for small leaks.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane
Let us know if the water heater calls you on that app!! LOL
I guess it wouldn't kill me to call it once in a while to ask how it's doing... but I'm afraid my dog would get jealous if I paid more attention to my hot water heater than I do to her.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:58 PM
KLO

Originally Posted by tranum
Don't want the expense, but I might do a happy dance if my 3 year old stainless steel appliances quit! High maintenance since they show smudges all the time. �� And show up even more when sun is in the West. From this day forward, notHing but white.
tranum, I am with you on this thought. All the home shows on TV show prospective buyers wanting stainless appliances but I too dislike them for the same reason you gave. I know they have "smudge-free" ones but they are always more expensive than the same model in regular stainless. Just bought a new fridge ... yes, stainless because all the other appliances are already stainless. Now I can't even put my magnet photos on the doors because they are steel! I am starting to think a retro kitchen (think avocado, harvest gold, etc.) would be a good idea.

Oh and we have a tankless hot water heater so only heating water when we need it. However, it does not talk to my phone although my new-to-me car talks way too much and is way smarter than me which is rather embarrassing.