Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Spin-off on Wash Day Growing Up---Ironing Shirts! >
  • Spin-off on Wash Day Growing Up---Ironing Shirts!

• Spin-off on Wash Day Growing Up---Ironing Shirts!

Old 03-01-2013, 06:44 AM

I remember being taught to iron in Domestic Science class - thats Home Economics, or used to be, probably Family and Consumer Science now if taught at all. When I showed my Mother she said it was all wrong. So I did it one way at school and another way at home. I actually enjoyed ironing and ironed my father, husband and sons military uniforms. I had a little toy ironing board and iron as a child and passed it onto my daughter.
    Old 03-01-2013, 06:47 AM

Forgot to add about darning. I saw a darning egg at an antique store and the owner said he had to ask what it was. it is now labeled so others will know. Darning and hand sewing was "quiet work" done in the evenings. When we got television it was still done in the evenings while we watched; actually mostly listened.
    Old 03-01-2013, 06:55 AM

I ironed shirts for $.25 each when I was I was in college in the 60's. That was gas money. 1st time I used automatic washer & dryer was in college. At home, I used the wringer type washer & laundry tubs to wash, hung clothes to dry, sprinkled, rolled & put in basket ready to iron. I darned socks too.
    Old 03-01-2013, 08:00 AM
    Power Poster

ha, ha. when i was about 12 yrs old i was ironing something and ended up ironing my left wrist! ouch. i called my Grandmother who lived in the house behind us and she told me to pray. I had a brown scar for many years but it's gone now. later I earned money from my Sister by doing her ironing. i still hate to iron today.
    Old 03-01-2013, 08:23 AM

When I was young, I use to iron every Saturday after helping with the chores. We had a sprinkle bottle also...use to sprinkle the clothes with water, roll it up and put in the ironing basket until everything was sprinkled and then start ironing. Loved it. I still iron today. When it comes out of the dryer and I don't like it.. I iron it! I hang a lot of things up to air dry so they have to be ironed.
    Old 03-01-2013, 08:55 AM

Talking Memories

[QUOTE=EllieGirl;5893093] Thanks for the memories of ironing shirts. Your procedures in starching (at least the collar and cuffs) were what we all followed. I am glad that we who are not youngersters (OK, I am 80) learned that skill.
    Old 03-01-2013, 08:57 AM

Not long ago I darned a sock, used a light bulb as the darning egg. Had to use embroidery thread, because darning thread is something no one can find--clerks had not even heard of it. Did a good job!!
    Old 03-01-2013, 09:24 AM

Here's a hint to your daughter. I used to work for a general surgeon who would wear the physician's coats/lab jackets. His wife didn't want the germ-laden jackets brought into the house. He would drop them off at a laundry to wash and iron. It's well worth the $ and everyone stays healthier (except maybe the laundry attendants).
    Old 03-01-2013, 10:32 AM

When I turned 12, it became my job to do the family ironing every Saturday. Wasn't allowed to do anything till it was done. Mom would wash & sprinkle on Thursday & I ironed on Saturday. Then, after I was married, I did ironing for other people at 10 cents an item. By that time I was really fast at ironing. LOL
    Old 03-01-2013, 11:05 AM

Textiles have sure come a long way and to think polar fleece you can actually shake it dry!