Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • standard, stick, and rotary party lines >
  • standard, stick, and rotary party lines

• standard, stick, and rotary party lines

Old 07-13-2011, 04:47 PM

Gosh, thanks for the responses. You have all made me remember so much more! Yes, we too had the operator with "number please". When we started dialing our own, they were as many of you have reminded me with the letters and numbers, and all calls were 3 minutes only! At the end, you'd hurry up and ask, "Are you calling me back or should I call you?" And my first car-a giant peach and white Pontiac cost $50 -and I had to save to get it!! And you know steering wheels were never 'power' either. When you turned, you cranked and cranked on that thing and that's how I took my driver's test.
    Old 07-13-2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by sisLH
    Gosh, thanks for the responses. You have all made me remember so much more! Yes, we too had the operator with "number please". When we started dialing our own, they were as many of you have reminded me with the letters and numbers, and all calls were 3 minutes only! At the end, you'd hurry up and ask, "Are you calling me back or should I call you?" And my first car-a giant peach and white Pontiac cost $50 -and I had to save to get it!! And you know steering wheels were never 'power' either. When you turned, you cranked and cranked on that thing and that's how I took my driver's test.
    And remember....WE had to learn to parallel park in order to get our license! My daughter and granddaughter will drive around and around to find an open parking lot because that was never included on their driving test!
    Old 07-13-2011, 05:24 PM

Forgot to tell KS Quilter on pg 8 -we used to play 'Hide the Thimble'. Grandma would hide it somewhere and we had to look for it-kept us busy for Hours-it'd be our whole afternoon's play! Can you imagine that now -with all the kids computer toys? And on outside days, we were given an old vegetable can filled with water and a 1" paintbrush and we 'painted' every step and rail and door. Grandma must have had the cleanest house in town!
    Old 07-13-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Wonnie
    And remember....WE had to learn to parallel park in order to get our license! My daughter and granddaughter will drive around and around to find an open parking lot because that was never included on their driving test!
    In Texas that's the first thing you have to do when you take the driving test with the examiner.
    I had to learn to park a land yacht, aka: 1971 Ford LTD Country Squire wagon. It wasn't required for the test! I was so bummed.
    Sharon W. :(
    Old 07-14-2011, 04:10 AM

We still have the antenna with the little box that we use to turn the antenna.
    We have the old old very large dish also but since everything went digital we only get 3 things on the big dish.

We get, maybe 12 channels with the antenna and that is enough. I still watch too much when I could be quilting!!!
    Old 07-14-2011, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by sisLH
    A 19 yr old co-worker was telling me she knew how to drive 'standard' on the floor. I told her that was 'stickshift' -that standard was on the column- .
    I remember thinking 'stickshift' was either one, on the column or on the floor. I've driven both. When automatic came in I think 'standard' went out the window and 'stickshift' or 'shift' was used for non-automatic drive.

I remember when the first television set appeared in my neighborhood when I was 6 or so. The school nurse had gotten it and would let all the kids in to watch Howdy Doody at 4 or 5 pm. Black and white of course. It wasn't long before others in the neighborhood had them but we didn't get one until I was 8 1/2.
    The world sure has changed hasn't it?
    Old 07-18-2011, 05:21 AM

LOL
    Old 07-18-2011, 05:44 AM

Oh my, that brings back memories of when my DH and I both worked at GTE making telephones in the late '70's. I still hate telephones, and we helped make the 1st flip-phones on the market. That was toooo long ago!
    Old 07-19-2011, 04:48 PM

Remember having to hold the antenna to 'improve' the reception?
    Old 07-19-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
    Remember having to hold the antenna to 'improve' the reception?
    Or wrapping tinfoil around the antenna :lol: :lol: :lol: