Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Steam Cleaner....which one to buy??? >
  • Steam Cleaner....which one to buy???

• Steam Cleaner....which one to buy???

Old 09-08-2013, 05:14 AM

If your house is mainly tiled I wouldn't buy a Shark. I've had two Sharks and they only lasted a year each. Plus, you're always refilling the tank. They're fine for small jobs but too underpowered for a lot of tile. My husband did a lot of research and ended up buying one that cost us $500 but it is wonderful. Large tank, lots of steam, on wheels and many different wands for various uses. He cleans the stove, tiles, bugs off the car, as well as the floor. Can't tell you the name as we are away from home so I can't look it up. My recommendation is to either look on line to compare or try the library and look up back issues of Consumers to see if there is a comparison of steam cleaners.
    Old 09-08-2013, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Janette
    If your house is mainly tiled I wouldn't buy a Shark. I've had two Sharks and they only lasted a year each. Plus, you're always refilling the tank. They're fine for small jobs but too underpowered for a lot of tile. My husband did a lot of research and ended up buying one that cost us $500 but it is wonderful. Large tank, lots of steam, on wheels and many different wands for various uses. He cleans the stove, tiles, bugs off the car, as well as the floor. Can't tell you the name as we are away from home so I can't look it up. My recommendation is to either look on line to compare or try the library and look up back issues of Consumers to see if there is a comparison of steam cleaners.
    This sounds like my ladybug. And you can fill it on the go, no waiting for it to cool down either. I use mine everywhere in the house. And you should see how it cleans the grout!
    Old 09-08-2013, 07:25 AM

We have a Bissell and it is one of the best investments we ever made.
    Old 09-08-2013, 07:31 AM

I have a bissell and love it.
    Old 09-08-2013, 08:40 AM

I've been thinking about getting one & the amazon review was very helpful. Thanks Gale.
    Old 09-08-2013, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Janette
    Yes, my house is mainly tiled. I've read about the small tank on the Shark. Anybody got The Oreck Steam-It All Purpose Steamwand
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
    Has good reviews. Still reading and researching. Thank you for all your input, keep it coming.
    Old 09-08-2013, 12:45 PM

I have the Shark for floors and the smaller hand held for other projects. You won't believe how it takes water spots off windows and mirrors. just zzip zip and I'm done.
    Old 09-08-2013, 03:43 PM

I have had a few different ones and the main complaint I have is that the water reservoir is too small. I have recently bought a Bissell which suits my needs because I can easily remove the water container and re-fill it without having to wait for the machine to cool down. It is easy to use as a hand held or as a mop type. The pads can be easily washed. I'm happy with this purchase as others have blocked up or been inadequate.
    Old 09-08-2013, 06:57 PM

We also have a Shark and my DH complains that he has to fill it so often. He also doesn't like waiting for the cool down.
    Old 09-08-2013, 07:11 PM
    Power Poster

Thanks for all the info everyone. I think I've decided what i'm going after to clean my home. Going to let the Shark get the best of the nasty!