Stewed Tomatoes

Old 09-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

I don't really use a recipe for stewed tomatoes but I will give an approximate recipe. I go to the garden o raid the patch for all the ripe tomatoes I have. This determines the size of the cooking pot I use. I generally do about a 2.8 liter or 3quart pot of them.

I put tap water in the pan about half full and put it on the stove to boil. When the water is boiling I dump in about half of the ripe tomatoes for about 2 minutes. I get them all out with a big slotted spoon and put them into a bowl of cold water in the sink. The skins will peel right off with a peeling knife(or pull off after they split from the hot water) After I have the first half peeled I do the second half of the tomatoes. I dump the water out of the same pan and get ready to add the tomatoes back to the pot.

I cut the tomatoes into chunks(nothing fancy) and put them on low on the stove and stir occasionally. I add 2-3inch sliced cooking onions to the pot, 2 chopped garlic cloves, chopped celery, seasonings(salt, pepper a little Cajun seasoning) and set them to simmer for a couple of hours. I do stir them to keep them from sticking as the pot starts to boil down. I let them boil down until they get fairly thick and all the ingredients are soft OR until someone smells them cooking and raids the pot.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:57 AM

This hot summer has given us the best tomato and sweet pepper crop in years. I've been having scrambled eggs with sliced tomatoes right from the garden every morning.

Our version of stewed tomatoes is simply scalded tomatoes, blanched in ice water, cored and the skins slipped off. Slice thickly and heat and can immediately. If not canning, add diced green peppers and onions, salt, pepper and a dab of sugar and butter. Old time recipes thicken this with stale bread cubes. I like to add whatever is in the garden--corn, potatoes, beans, carrots--at this time of the year. (I don't cook 'em down or add bread.)

Last edited by Greenheron; 09-10-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the recipe Tartan! I hope to try it out this weekend!
Old 09-13-2012, 04:57 AM

In Fl. we have a double planting season. My pickles & tomatoes should be ready in about 6 weeks. Guess I better get on the stick if I want to have my Granddaughters quilt put together to quilt this winter. Nothing quite like having your own garden of veggies and herbs!