Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Still need help planning vacation >
  • Still need help planning vacation

• Still need help planning vacation

Old 09-10-2011, 05:51 PM

If you can, visit the Smithsonian and the Library of Congress.Spend a night in Williamsburg.
    Old 09-10-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
    If you can, visit the Smithsonian and the Library of Congress.Spend a night in Williamsburg.
    You can spend a week hitting all the Smithsonian muesums!! Got to see the "mall" and all of the monuments.

I'm outside of Charlotte, NC. Peak leaf viewing in the NC mountains is around the last week of October. Lots and Lots of quilt shops and out of the way places through the mountains around Ashville. Closer to Charlotte in the town of Gastonia is MaryJo's just off exit 21 off I-85. People make vacation plans just to visit MaryJo's from states and states away
    Old 09-10-2011, 08:39 PM

Sweetie a month may not be long enough to see all there is to see, up through the areas you will be traveling. Be prepared to take lots & lots of pics and a notebook to document all that you see & where. We went from here in Central Okla. out East I-40, 9 yrs ago and then traveled all the way up the coast to Maine & into Canada. I wish I had documented everything. I have forgotten so much!!! You will just love this trip. These posts are making me want to load up & do this again.
    Old 09-11-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by carrieg
    Paducah KY has the National Quilt Museum! DH & I camped at The Land Between the Lakes, in Hillman Ferry campground. It's a huge place, but in the woods. LBL has lots of campgrounds in it. Beautiful area, it's in both KY & Tenn, the western side of the states.

Paducah has Hancocks and Elanore Burns shop.

Enjoy your trip!!
    Thanks, I will put National Quilt Museum on my "must see list" for sure and gotta got to Hancocks. Thanks for the campground suggestion too. I'm getting so excited!
    Old 09-11-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Gramof6
    Sweetie a month may not be long enough to see all there is to see, up through the areas you will be traveling. Be prepared to take lots & lots of pics and a notebook to document all that you see & where. We went from here in Central Okla. out East I-40, 9 yrs ago and then traveled all the way up the coast to Maine & into Canada. I wish I had documented everything. I have forgotten so much!!! You will just love this trip. These posts are making me want to load up & do this again.
    Good idea about the notebook...got my cameras ready. I already keep somewhat of a diary on my daily calendar, but a notebook would help too.
    Old 09-11-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC
    You can spend a week hitting all the Smithsonian muesums!! Got to see the "mall" and all of the monuments.

I'm outside of Charlotte, NC. Peak leaf viewing in the NC mountains is around the last week of October. Lots and Lots of quilt shops and out of the way places through the mountains around Ashville. Closer to Charlotte in the town of Gastonia is MaryJo's just off exit 21 off I-85. People make vacation plans just to visit MaryJo's from states and states away
    Oh gosh, the Smithsonian sounds great, thats going on our list.
    Old 09-11-2011, 10:40 AM

I think Williamsburg sound great too. Oh my gosh all these suggestions are so helpful. Thanks
    Old 09-11-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC

Wow, I feel like I'm getting my own tour guide now with all these great suggestions. Smithsonian, Library of Congress, mall...Maybe I'll add Maryjo's to the list. Sounds impressive. Thanks
    Old 09-11-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by mizkyp
    http://www.quiltart.com/lancaster.html
    that is a link of quiet a few quilt shops. If you're around on a Tuesday you could go to Roots. It's a farmers market/flea market on http://www.rootsmarket.com/
    The Kitchen Kettle Village in Bird in hand is nice http://www.kitchenkettle.com/. Also Gettysburg is a nice place to visit. There is alot of History there.
    Hopefully this is what you're looking for. I'm jealous of your trip. Maybe one day...

Originally Posted by Jaynie
    Originally Posted by mizkyp
    Are you going thru Lancaster, PA. Lots of Amish and quilt shops. Let me know and I'll give you some great must see places.
    Absolutely plan on visiting Pennsylvania. Can put Lancaster on the list for sure. Tell me please,,what are the MUST SEE places.
    Thanks so much for the links...finally got around to checking them out this evening. Have added them to my favorites list. I read all the suggestions from everyone to my husband this evening....he said we may have to be gone longer than a month to do everything we want. I think he is really looking forward to this after working rotating 12 shifts for almost 38 years...he likes not having a schedule since he retired.
    Old 09-19-2011, 06:29 PM

Just to let everyone know...we will head out early Wednesday morning on our trip. I want to thank you all so much for your ideas & suggestions. I have built a travel notebook with all the info and hope to share photos with you from our travels. Thank you all for everything, it has helped us so much with our plans. You all are the best.