Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Support families of deployed service members >
  • Support families of deployed service members

• Support families of deployed service members

Old 04-19-2011, 12:13 PM

I understand exactly how you feel. A very long time ago my husband was deployed in Vietnam, twice. It seems as if you will never be able to handle everything until he comes home, but you will. One day at a time,one crisis at a time. Are there any other wives near you that have deployed husbands? Spending some time with others that are in the same boat as you helps a lot. ((hugs)) to you and your children.
    Old 04-19-2011, 12:13 PM

I understand exactly how you feel. A very long time ago my husband was deployed in Vietnam, twice. It seems as if you will never be able to handle everything until he comes home, but you will. One day at a time,one crisis at a time. Are there any other wives near you that have deployed husbands? Spending some time with others that are in the same boat as you helps a lot. ((hugs)) to you and your children.
    Old 04-19-2011, 12:28 PM

{{{{ HUGS }}}} So sorry that you've had such a hard time. Please know that we are praying for you, your children, and your brave husband. Come on the Board and vent ... we've got strong shoulders and will support you anytime. God Bless!
    Old 04-19-2011, 09:00 PM

Aw, MistyMarie, I've felt so sad for you since I read your post Sun. I've never been in your position so cannot relate and didn't know how to reply. But I'm glad for you now after reading of the support, prayers, hugs and thoughts you've been receiving from the members of this board.

Thank you, your husband and children for doing this for all of us in the United States. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. :thumbup:
    Old 04-20-2011, 06:00 PM

my godson is on his 3rd deployment to afgahnistan.. i say a prayer for him, his unit, their loved ones who sacrifice just as much as the service member...

dh was a marine & he will tell you being a marine corps wife is the toughest job in the corps

it is true of every branch of the service.... i'll include you & yours in my prayers tonite.
    Old 04-23-2011, 04:58 AM

Misty you are not alone. My son just got back. I was a Navy wife for many years. Yes, its hard and even lonely too. There must be others in your area too. Have you thought of trying to contact some of them? Maybe suggest coffe and just talk and see if being together will help some. I have spent my time in tears, Sending my sons and husband off too. Its hard to learn how to change a tire, service your car, do all the things he would of done. Try to talk to your Minister, We had a Navy wives club. That helped. God Bless and keep you.
    Old 04-23-2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I can't imagine how hard it must be for you. I really got annoyed that your mom yelled at you for crying. There is nothing wrong with our children seeing us cry, in fact it's a good thing!
    Glad you have some people around for support and don't forget you have us!
    BIG HUG from me :)
    I too can't imagine what you are going through. And I only wish your mom could have been the support you needed at that moment. Please know that we all support you, even if it is from a distance. PM anytime you need a listening ear! (((HUGS)))
    Old 04-24-2011, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by suebee
    Ahhh, I feel so awful for you. I dont know what it is like to have your hubby so far away, but I will tell you that I am so grateful for what all deployed military families endure while their spouses are gone and this is a great example. I would like to thank YOU from the bottom of my heart. Words cannot express how proud I am to be an American and how much I appreciate your sacrifice. Feel free to PM me anytime. I will listen :) HANG IN THERE! {{{{{HUGS}}}}}}
    I second every thing she said!!! I have had my husband away from home working for weeds, months at a time and sometimes I ached so much for him that I would have walked however far it was just to get to him. This was when I was young with 3 kids. I still remember it like it was yesterday. (of course sometimes I can't remember what I did yesterday)
    Old 04-26-2011, 05:04 PM

My heart goes out to you. I served in the Air Force for many years in the Pediatric clinic caring for families. Your scenario was played out over and over again, but there we had base support. I feel so badly for today's deployments since they involve so many citizen-soldiers and the families are not in "understanding" communities. It is hard for civilians to understand the stress and toll that deployment takes on a family. I am grateful that Michell Obama and J. Biden are undertaking you as their mission.,., to ensure that you are not forgotten and that you get all the services that the active duty families get.
    Old 04-26-2011, 07:58 PM

I have been married almost eleven years. All those years have been to an active duty Navy man. He has been on long deployments three times to the Middle East area and has been on several short term (1 to 3 months) deployments as well. Two of the three deployments, I was not near a Naval base and did not get any support.

Yesterday, my daughter crashed her head into a glass end-table at my MILs and I spent hours in an Army hospital getting her checked out for a concussion. Fortunately, my MIL lives only a few miles from the Army base in Colorado Springs, so I left my son with them and took her there. By the time I got back to Aurora, it was very late in the night. I got home from work today and slept for three hours before my son woke me up to tell me he was going to bed. I felt so bad that I have not gotten to spend more than a few minutes of quality time with my children in the last few days (unless you count holding a crying child in the ER for a few hours.) I am SO worn out.