Sweet Tooth Savy

Old 09-08-2010, 12:30 PM

I used to use Splenda but had to go back to good ol' sugar because of the cost of the Splenda. In the long run the sugar, although packed with calories is more than likely better for me than the Splenda.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:18 PM

FYI! Splenda is basically Sucralose which is made with chlorine. google sucralose side effects, toxidity or such. Splenda is NOT good for you. Can cause all kinds of stuff from cancer, blindness and migrane headaches.. and worse... Do your research and make an informed decision. Plain old sugar would be better IF you have to have something sweet.... My girlfriends husband is marketing a product for energy. It had a strange after taste. SO after looking at the ingredients I noticed it was sweetend with Sucralose. What the heck is THAT, I wondered. Needless to say I am NOT taking his supplement anymore. (It is REALLY sweet!) Not trying to be negative here just an FYI!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sally's girl
sugar do not like artficial sweetner (bad for you)
When you are diabetic you can't have a lot of sugar. So artificial sweeteners are a way of life for us. I do use Splenda for cereal and tea. I use brown sugar Splenda for sauces. It has a little molasses in it so it isn't carb free but you use half the amt that reg brown sugar would be. It has a better taste than reg splenda. I have used it in tea.
I do use regular sugar in a limited way. My grandpa put sugar on his cottage cheese so I grew up that way. I tried Splenda on it and it is ok but I prefer the taste of reg sugar. I just have to figure the carbs in the sugar into my day.

I make a miracle whip/vinegar/sugar dressing for salads and on cucumbers. I switched to using 1/2 c brown sugar Splenda instead of a cup of white sugar. It looks funny as it turns it brown or tan color instead of white but works well taste wise.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:58 PM

I use Splenda in my hot coffee, tea, etc. I use Sweet and Low in my iced tea, if that is not available I use Splenda. My friend said she had bloating from Splenda, o she quit using it. I cannot get anything sweet with equal, I used several packets in hot tea and for a short time I could not process my thoughts. I put honey on toast and in sauces. I cannot stand any diet sodas, so if I do drink a soda, it has sugar in it.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:01 PM

I use Sweet and Low for ice tea and Equal, Spenda or Nutrasweet and sometimes sugar for hot tea and oatmeal, don't use any sweetner in my coffee. Use the real thing in cakes, etc. but decrease the amount of sugar in most recipes without changing the texture and taste. I make some jams but always with the lowest amount of sugar that I can. May in Jersey
Old 09-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

Raw sugar for coffee etc and granulated sugar for baking.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mimito2
I get migraines from all the sugar free sweetners so I use natural sugar and honey. DH is a diabetic so we get seperatedifferent
Me too! The migraines I get from sugar free sweeteners are horrible! My DH is also diabetic, but he doesn't have a sweet tooth, so using sugar is not much of a problem for him.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:53 PM

Plain old sugar for sweetening, brown sugar for baking cookies that call for it, honey in my hot tea (local grown honey only) and if a church function Splenda.

The artificial sweeteners are habit forming, do not help with weight loss, cause alot of migraines and plain ole headaches, and IMHO are big cancer causing agents along with a myriad of other health problems.

Ever notice people who drink diet drinks can't have just one? A lady from church drinks up to two litres (sp) of diet soda a day and can't figure out why she is gaining weight rapidly. Duh! Sorry, off my soap box.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:05 PM

Hi from Washington state, have been reading this blog for a few years now, thought I'd throw my 2 bits-in. I had a diabetic friend introduce me to aguave (cactus ) a few years ago, which I use in tea and coffee. Don't know what the calories are in agauve sweetner, but I like. Haven't found a fake sugar yet that I'd like to use. As for baking I generally use raw and or brown sugar.

That's about it for my 2 bits.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:30 AM

I use sweet-n-low for coffee and sugar for baking and tea