Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Tell Me This Won't Happen To Us!!! >
  • Tell Me This Won't Happen To Us!!!

• Tell Me This Won't Happen To Us!!!

Old 03-10-2010, 10:28 AM

Oh, no!! I think I'm already half way there!!
    Old 03-10-2010, 10:45 AM

June....Thanks so much as I sit here on yet another snowy day I needed a reminder to laugh at life once in awhile.
    Old 03-10-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
    Sorry, this wasn't aimed at you specifically, but at all the jokes on here (from all different people) on the subject. I know everyone who posts intends it to give a laugh. It's just that there are so many on the same subject. I'd reached the "Enough already!" point when I saw it. Didn't mean to trash your thread.

I agree that laughter and attitude are very beneficial, but in fact, poor health can bring on memory loss in old age. So staying healthy is one way to prevent some forms of memory loss and minimize others.

I did not, however, mean to turn your humor thread into a discussion on memory loss. Again, sorry.

No problem, I understand that, but one of the only things that can get you through a day helping someone with dementia is a sense of humor. If you can't laugh at life or yourself- you will just go crazy.

I remember one time when my mom's watch battery died, she must have asked me 10 times in a half hour period what time it was. She would look at her watch, then the clock in front of her and then ask the same question. By the eleventh time, we were on our way to Sear's to get a new battery. It took a half hr to get it fixed.

While sitting and waiting for it to be repaired, she must have asked me atl east 5 times how when could we go home. Each time I pointed to the repairman we could see through a window and explained that as soon as he finished fixing her watch it we could go. By the 6th time I laughingly told her that I would bring her back behind the counter so she could ask the man fixing her watch hersolf how long it would take. I didn't realize it, but the lady behind the counter was listening to us. When I went to pay for the repair she told me that she had heard the whole conversation and couldn't stop laughing.

I can't tell you how many times I have gone into a room to get something and can't remember what I was looking for.... had to retrace my steps to hopefully remember.

I enjoyed the jokes and posted the thread so others could as well.

PS - Within 2 wks of getting her a new battery I hid her watch, She never asked for it again, and was less anxious in the afternoon - which was when she always asked to go home. Helped a lot
    Old 03-10-2010, 11:14 AM
    Power Poster

June C, loved them as i have adhd, and forget a lot. I can only imagine how much forgetting I have to look forward to with old age...um, how old am I now? :lol:
    Old 03-10-2010, 11:42 AM

June, That was soooooo cute. This day is so gloomy, nothing but rain for 2 days and continue for 2 more. You made me laugh alot, Of course I'm not the kind of person who takes myself too seriously, so I guess it doesn't take much to make me laugh. Thankyou for sharing with us and keeping our spirits up.
    Old 03-10-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
    ...one of the only things that can get you through a day helping someone with dementia is a sense of humor. If you can't laugh at life or yourself- you will just go crazy.
    Very true!

Originally Posted by JUNEC
    I can't tell you how many times I have gone into a room to get something and can't remember what I was looking for.... had to retrace my steps to hopefully remember.
    Me, too, but that's been happening to me since I was in college. It got a bit worse in recent years, and then it improved again, and I have no idea why. So I cling to the idea that it doesn't have to be inevitable with age.
    Old 03-10-2010, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the great funnies! I, too, took care of my Mom with her Alzheimers. Laughing with my friends was the only thing that saved me!
    Old 03-10-2010, 08:17 PM

I needed this funny-ness! Thanks!
    Old 03-11-2010, 09:13 AM

Those are so cute. I saw a cartoon the other day called
    "The very first senior moment" There were two dinosaurs sitting on top of a mountain watching the ark sail and away and one said, "Oh shoot, was that today?"
    Old 03-11-2010, 09:15 AM

The best thing about getting old is that no matter how many times you hear the same joke it's always a new one.