Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors >
  • Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

• Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Old 10-27-2011, 09:20 AM

I've heard of that happening several times back then.
    Old 10-27-2011, 09:24 AM

My great-great Grandfather on my Mother's side was Meshack Collins. He was a triplet, and, yes, his brothers were Shadrack and Abednigo.
    My great uncle on my Dad's side made and sold moonshine, and the Feds kept coming out and tearing down his operation. He just started over again. None of his brothers or their families drank and were really hard workers.
    Old 10-27-2011, 09:37 AM

My grandfather was born in Upper Michigan in 1875, his parents were working in lumber camps somewhere in that region. Found their marriage contract in Neganee but no records of births of their 2 first children, a daughter in 1873 and my grandfather in 1875. They came back to Quebec and we haver search and search without luck. My great-grand-mother had a brother buried in Champion, Mi. We would like very much to piece that part of their lives but we have not been lucky so far
    Old 10-27-2011, 09:37 AM

My grandfather was born in Upper Michigan in 1875, his parents were working in lumber camps somewhere in that region. Found their marriage contract in Neganee but no records of births of their 2 first children, a daughter in 1873 and my grandfather in 1875. They came back to Quebec and we haver search and search without luck. My great-grand-mother had a brother buried in Champion, Mi. We would like very much to piece that part of their lives but we have not been lucky so far
    Old 10-27-2011, 09:41 AM

There was a female who was burned at the stake for witchcraft in Ct in the 1600's who was traced to my late
    mother-in-law's family. No one knew anything about her so
    she remains a mystery. My mother-in-law always denied that
    she was on her side of the family, guess she thought that her side was better than most but it has been documented.
    As previously noted (page 10)in the same time period one of
    my ancestors was knighted by Maxillion (sp)of Bavaria for
    his religious works.
    Old 10-27-2011, 10:04 AM

My paternal great-grandfather was a Secretary in Abraham Lincoln's cabinet.

My maternal great-grandmother owned three brothels. (Go figure.)
    Old 10-27-2011, 10:05 AM

My ancestors on my Dad's side came over on the mayflower. Several others have been instrumental in originally establishing several towns in Massachusetts. My great grandfather was Captain of a whaling ship and his name is on a plaque at the Whaling Museum in New Bedford, MA. Also one of my great, great..... aunts way back in the early pilgrim days was arrested for "loaning" her husbands gun to an Indian.
    Old 10-27-2011, 10:11 AM

That's so interesting. I hope you locate her to find out for sure. You should put an article in the newspaper in her town, and hope tht she sees it. Good luck!
    A nephew, that I didn't know existed found me when he was 30 years old, and that was so wonderful for our whole family, except my brother(who was his father at a very young age while in the Navy) . My nephew was so happy to know that he had a large and loving family.
    Old 10-27-2011, 10:18 AM

Never know what will turn up when studying your geneology. I have discovered that my mom had a brother, born before she and he was named Theodore Roosevelt. He was run over by a street car at 4 yrs. old and brought to my Grandmother in a canvas bag. Next, I learned that my step-grandmother was a madame of a whorehouse in Pa. That's not enough - I then learned that my grandfathers brother was a wizard in the KKK. Granddad had the spelling changed on his last name so his customers wouldn't know the connection. At the cemetary we have both spellings. That's on my mom's side. As for my dad's family I haven't found much on them yet. Can you believe there wasn't a quilter amongst them?
    Old 10-27-2011, 10:28 AM
    Suz

My maternal grandmother was raised by her grandmother. Her mother died in childbirth of my grandmother. There had been a fire on the mountain several hollows away. They would sit on the front porch and watch the fire, while her grandmother smoked a corn cob pipe.

My grandmother asked if she thought the fire would come to them and was told no. When she told me this story, she now realizes her grandmother was scared that it would happen.

P.S.: My paternal grandmother was the quilter in the family. She is the one who aroused my interest when I was about seven.