Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Tempted to do an act of kindness >
  • Tempted to do an act of kindness

• Tempted to do an act of kindness

Old 08-09-2011, 04:50 AM

God Bless you for your kindness.
    Old 08-09-2011, 10:45 AM

But for the grace of God, go I. I have been told by family and friends to not help, but I do anyway with how ever I can. That could have been my daughter or son, though thankfully I know where and how they are going. But I thank you for helping. God bless you.
    Old 08-09-2011, 02:06 PM

When I am compelled to give to someone in need, I "let go and let God". What they do with what they receive is not up to me, only the giving.....
    Old 08-09-2011, 03:36 PM

My husband and I took a young couple, that showed up at our church, out for breakfast, after church. We told them they could order anything they wanted, but they ordered a hamburger and fries. They could have had steak and eggs or some thing at the top of the price but they didn't. They were also homeless, but clean and very polite. We gave them a few dollars, about $6-7 total, and our church secretary came to where we were eating, and gave them some bus tickets, and also told them where to go the next morning, when they opened up, to get help. We felt so good after helping them and they called the church and said that they did get help, and also, some one at the place they went to, offered for them to come stay with them for awhile. The girl had gotten a job at a Sonic Burger place, so hopefully they are on their way to getting off the streets. Jan
    Old 08-09-2011, 03:50 PM

I have another story and I would like your feedback on what you would do in my case.
    A couple of weeks ago, I was in Safeway's , in the meat department when this tiny lady motioned me to come over to her. She said she was legally blind and did have a white cane. She asked if I would I read the meat tag as to how much a lb the chicken was. I told her it was $1.19 a lb. for the whole chicken. Her reply was "if it isn't $.99 a lb, then I can't afford it". I told her that the whole chicken was only $1.59. But her reply was the same. So she wandered off. I felt so angry, that the poor lady couldn't even buy a darn whole chicken and this is what so many of our senior citizens are going thru. I debated on just buying it for her but was afraid that I would insult her or embarrass her, so I did nothing. I came home and told Tom about it and he wasn't helpful in what to do. I dreamed about her that night and fretted the next day. and since then have dreamed about her. I know now I can't do anything about it, but wonder what to do it I run into her again. What would you do? Jan
    Old 08-09-2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by iowabelle
    Last Thursday I was in downtown Des Moines waiting at the "transit mall" where all the city buses come. I had been there quite a while, waiting for a bus that would take me to a job fair at a local grocery store. I've been unemployed for a LONG TIME and things have been very difficult for me monetarily.

So I was sitting on a bench and across the street I could see this young woman in her 20s. She looked kind of dirty, like she could use a bath, and she was carrying a very large knapsack (looked like all her belongings were in it) and walking with a Labrador dog on a leash. She stopped to talk to one of the people (Operation Downtown) who clean the streets and give directions downtown, and then she walked away from me.

I was curious about her, and when the Operation Downtown man came closer to me I asked whether she was homeless. He said yes, and that she had needed directions to get to some place where she could get some food for herself and the dog. He had told her where she might get some help.

I sat and thought about it a bit longer, and all of a sudden I knew I had to give her some of the little money I had. So even though I had high heels on, I raced down the street in the direction she had gone. But I couldn't see her. I thought I knew where she might have gone so I turned that way, and there she was coming out of a doorway with her dog!

I only had $7 on me, but I thought I could spare $5. I gave her the money, and she was very surprised (since she hadn't even talked to me) and said "thank you". She said she was trying to get to Chicago. I told her I wasn't sure if she could get a bus to Chicago with the dog, but she said he was an assistance animal (I'm not sure what disability she had).

I was thinking that if she could get some other people to give her a little money she might be able to ride the Megabus to Chicago (they have some really cheap fares), but at least she'd have a little something for herself or the dog if she couldn't manage that.

I don't usually give money to people since I'm so strapped myself, and often homeless people spend it on drugs or alcohol. But I just felt something when I saw her and knew I had to give her some of my money.

I am still worried about that girl because it's rough on the streets, even in Des Moines, but I'm hoping she makes it to Chicago.

When I looked at her, I started to think about the story of Abraham in the Bible, where the two strangers come to his tent and Abraham believes they are messengers from God.

I'd like to think that maybe she was an angel too, giving me a chance to share with someone in need. (And please don't tell me I was a sucker!)

I just wanted to share this experience, I told a few people at church about it but I don't want to post it on Facebook.
    "Do not hesitate to welcome strangers, for thereby some have entertained strangers unawares." As far as I know, Jesus never required qualifications before offering help. "In as much as you have done good things for the least of these, my brothers and sisters, you have done it also for me." "Do not grow weary in well-doing, for in due time, we shall reap the harvest." In other words, "You did good." froggyintexas
    Old 08-09-2011, 04:25 PM
    Power Poster

You are a very kind, giving person. I do not think you are a sucker. Feel very good about your good deed.
    Old 08-09-2011, 05:21 PM

This will come back to you. My children grew up used to mom buying extra food at the fast food restaurants to give to a homeless person or the day labors waiting for work. I've had some very hard times but even then when I have shared what I had it always came back to me. God bless you for your kindness to this girl. One day when things are better for her she will remember your act of kindness and pay it forward.
    Old 08-09-2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by garysgal
    That was very kind of you, but truthfully, there is no evidence of female angels in the Bible. She was just what she was, a homeless girl, and I hope she made it to her destination safely.
    :) I didn't mean that she was a female angel!

I read this mystery book once, where the key was knowing that the word "angel" came from the Greek word for "messenger." So I'm not really sure if there are angels as we'd tend to describe them, with the wings and haloes and all, but the homeless girl could have been a messenger from God to me. Or an opportunity to do a kindness. (Or pure coincidence!)
    Old 08-09-2011, 08:41 PM

My friend Helen liked to bring my mom, her friend, melon or such when it looked good. My mom didn't like to accept things graciously. It made her uncomfortable so Helen would tell her it was buy one get one free and she couldn't use two, so mom would accept it. We would do the same when we found goodies in the veggie aisle and it became a running joke.
    Once I pretended to pick up a folded $10 bill and told the lady she must have dropped it. Then I kept going before she could say she ddn't think she had.