Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Thanksgiving - we miss you, please come back! >
  • Thanksgiving - we miss you, please come back!

• Thanksgiving - we miss you, please come back!

Old 11-07-2010, 05:55 PM

I totally agree. Thanksgiving is a greatly overlooked holiday that all families and stores need to take time and enjoy. I love having all my famnily around and just plently of food.
    Old 11-07-2010, 06:31 PM

I love Thanksgiving, all the traditional food, kids and grandkids here. I do not like to go out to eat that day it just doesn't seem right.
    Old 11-07-2010, 06:50 PM
    Power Poster

I heard on the radio that the Friday after Halloween should be called Black Friday, so people would start shopping for Christmas. Its all about the money.
    I just give kids and Grandkids and Great Granddaughters gift cards and I don't buy them until a week or so before Christmas. I've never gone shopping on Black Friday.
    We have a very different way to celibrate Thanksgiving and have since about 1979 or so, we've never missed. Lots of food and people, lots of desserts.
    Old 11-07-2010, 08:41 PM

I Agree with you.
    Old 11-07-2010, 10:07 PM

About 30 years ago all the girls in our family went shopping on Black Friday....we were all so freaked out by the traffic and crowds we went out to lunch and then back home to hide. Haven't been out on BF since. There is nothing I need so bad I have to go and stand in line at 3:00am in the morning. Happy Turkey Day!!!
    Old 11-08-2010, 04:07 AM

This Thanksgiving will be so very special for my husband and I. Our 50th wedding anniversary is on Thanksgiving Day this year. We will have about 23 for lunch. All of my brother's family and our family will be together. Our two boys are having a celebration for us the following Saturday at our church (90 + attending). Do I sound excited yet? Thanksgiving has always been our "family time" for a holiday.
    Old 11-08-2010, 04:15 AM

I so agree. I don't decorate for Christmas till after Thanksgiving. We have our family Thanksgiving at my daughter's lovely home. I have 4 kids and each family brings something for the meal. I always make the pies, pumpkin and pecan, and rolls. My DDIL comes to my house in the morning with the turkey, stuffing ingredients and uses my kitchen to make "him". Then when all is done we drive the 7 minutes to my daughter's house with it and voila! Dinner is ready. My daughter makes the veggies and hors'douvres. My other DDIL brings more veggies and stuff for the kids. My youngest son, single, brings booze. Then we spend the rest of the day reminiscing about all the wonderful holidays past.
    Old 11-08-2010, 08:42 AM

My husband was just talking about this last nite we thought it was because we were getting older but it's not. The more they push this stuff early the less anybody wants to buy.or even get into the spirt.
    Old 11-08-2010, 12:39 PM
    Banned

Feel the same way......My grown girls with family don't even come over. I'm sure if I said I was making dinner they would. I feel it is time for them to invite DH and me.....Do they.....NO!

I've cooked for 39 yrs now.....It's time someone else did, but no they won't. What happens at xmas when I tell them I'm done with cooking......
    Old 11-08-2010, 01:58 PM

I relinquished Thanksgiving dinner about 22 years ago. Daughter got married and her new hubby took over. God Bless him. He coordinates everything, hands out food lists, finds a hall. (too many of us for a regular or even large house) Then he and I go over the morning of the event and get things going. We celebrate the Sunday before Thanksgiving due to several in the family who have to work and come from out of town.
    We have been maried 52 years and I have done my share. I am so blessed that the next generation is willing to keep up the traditions.