Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • And then there were five... (horse story and update) >
  • And then there were five... (horse story and update)

• And then there were five... (horse story and update)

Old 11-23-2009, 03:02 PM

an absolutely sweet story with a happy ending. I have a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. Congratulations on a dream come true!
    Old 11-26-2009, 06:47 AM
    Power Poster

How are you and the horses doing now?

Are your five missing the two that are gone?

It seems your horses understood you when you were talking to them.

Maizie's visit to the nursing home was so sweet. Well, maybe not unloading the fertilizer part - but other than that. But the odds are high that at least some of the residents could relate to that.
    Old 11-26-2009, 07:47 AM
    Banned

Well, I'm sobbing like a baby now. But how wonderful that Jazz and Whisper have wonderful, loving homes. I'm sure Rosie broke your heart, but I'll bet she knows just how to patch it back!

Karla, thank you so much for sharing your minis with us. You are an AMAZING writer. Your narrative makes the photos come alive. A picture may say more than a thousand words, but your words add a wealth of emotion to them!

Now excuse me while I go blow my nose and wipe the mascara off my chin!
    Old 11-26-2009, 07:51 AM

Hi everyone. Thanks for the sweet replies. The herd is adjusting wonderfully. Horses tend to pair up, so I was watching to make sure there wasn't a 5th wheel, but it seems they all rotate buddies. Last night when I went out for tuck-in, the mares were ready to go into their stalls, but the rest were not around. So, I donned my head lamp and took off for the back pasture in search of them. I found the three--Rosie, Mazie and Tucker, just hanging out together. It seemed they were deep in thought, or looking at the stars, in no hurry to end their outside time. I see Rosie and Tucker grooming each other often.

And it is easier with five. Just this morning I took two out--Chloe for a ground drive and Rosie for a walk. Got their feet cleaned. I washed all the girls' teats--oh how they love that--gets itchy in there. I groomed everyone but Gypsy-she doesn't like to be groomed. :roll: I got hay down, water hauled, pastures cleaned from the morning. Tomorrow I'll get Tucker and Gypsy out--so it feels so nice to be able to give them all attention. I keep telling them no one else is leaving. And I can't tell you what that thought does to me--something like this: :D :D only much bigger. I have a happy heart.

I'm headed to my in-laws for Thanksgiving. A happy happy one to all of you!!
    Old 11-28-2009, 06:54 AM

Oh my gosh. I'm siting here crying. I guess I needed a good one. We recently sold one of ours( regular sized horse) and am so heartbroke. with 2 girls and 2 boys. the boys just didn't get along and the man that took him, we knew he'd have a good home and life and we can go see him anytime.. we can't bring ourselves to go see him yet, as the kids and I will cry again. last year we lost our buckskin to illness. As I was going to breed him. he was the most beautful horse and the best temperment that you could ask for. now my heart isn't into breeding any. my three that are left are my pets to love and cherish. thats it.
    Old 11-28-2009, 05:43 PM

I'm sorry gloryj8--I hope your heart heals. :( It takes some time.
    Old 06-26-2010, 07:47 AM
    Power Poster

How are they all doing now?
    Old 06-26-2010, 10:20 AM

So beautifully!! The five get along extremely well!! I've recently had some troubles with laminitis--so all five are in muzzles. They have adjusted well and graze as usual. Now I can open all the pastures again to let them roam at will. Before they were confined to one or two small pastures to control how much grass they ate.

My friend Cheri and I have been working the horses once a week together--mostly Tucker and Mazie--to have them go through an obstacle course for when the asst living residents come in July. Gypsy will give a lunging demo, and Chloe a ground driving demo. Rosie will dance. :-D

And they all seem to like the new puppy. :wink:
    Old 06-26-2010, 10:45 AM
    Power Poster

They better...with the way that puppy is growing...he could be bigger than they are way soon!! :wink:
    Old 06-26-2010, 10:48 AM

sandpat--my students gave me a $50 gift card to Country Max among other things)--so Rachel and I just spent $100 on him :roll: toys, a bed to put next to Shimano--treats--a new leash and lead, a cable to tie him out while I do chores, more toys.

He was a free puppy remember. :wink:

He's sleeping upside down in his crate right now. Shhhh. :lol: