Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Theorectically, Could YOU go on a buying fast? >
  • Theorectically, Could YOU go on a buying fast?

• Theorectically, Could YOU go on a buying fast?

Old 11-10-2010, 12:12 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I cant make it a week without buying something quilting related.. I guess if I had to, I could 'survive' a year with what I have in stash.. although batting would be an issue..
    Old 11-10-2010, 12:30 PM

I could go for a very long time without purchasing, but I swear the economy thrives only when I spend $$. If I take time off- the reports say consumer spending drops. It can't be I'm the only one spending, but why does it coincide with my self imposed moratoriums on spending?

That said- I've made it 2 weeks without buying anything. But that's because I have to mail the credit card statement with my check for my new sewing machine (gotta keep my mantra- pay in full every month- no balance carryover).

What is going to be hard- I need a gift certificate for the girl that works for me- from our favorite lqs. How will I keep it at just the certificate?????
    Old 11-10-2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Barbm
    I could go for a very long time without purchasing, but I swear the economy thrives only when I spend $$. If I take time off- the reports say consumer spending drops. It can't be I'm the only one spending, but why does it coincide with my self imposed moratoriums on spending?

That said- I've made it 2 weeks without buying anything. But that's because I have to mail the credit card statement with my check for my new sewing machine (gotta keep my mantra- pay in full every month- no balance carryover).

What is going to be hard- I need a gift certificate for the girl that works for me- from our favorite lqs. How will I keep it at just the certificate?????
    I know the feeling. I have to pick up a gift certificate for a dear friend who worked her tail off for me at my daughters wedding on the 30th. I'm going to get it at her favorite quilt shop. I don't think I can just get her a gift card, I will probably have to buy something for myself as well........
    Old 11-10-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    My name is...and I freely admit that I am a fabric junkie.

There, I've said it and I'm glad. I will never, ever buy another piece of fabric till I have sewed up every scrap that I have in this room, and the middle bedroom, and under the master bed, and in the closet in this room, and

Wait, the mailman just pushed a flyer from Joann's in the door and it has a 50 percent off coupon in it and where's my car keys and

and..... I'm going with you! LOL. No seriously the Veteran's Day sale is going on right now....

;)
    Old 11-10-2010, 12:59 PM

I sort of am on a buying fast now...we just don't have the money. Unless I am being paid for the quilt, I don't buy.
    Old 11-10-2010, 03:25 PM

Theoretically, I could do anything.

In practice, probably not unless there was a compelling reason.

That's the problem with theory - it's easy until you have to actually do it. :?
    Old 11-10-2010, 03:46 PM

I'm on a quilting diet at the moment by choice. If I can do it for a year I will have several bills paid off!

I only buy on sale and only what I have to have (batting, backing)for the projects on the wait list.

I am so glad for the swaps as I can make from my stash and yet still receive "new" fabrics.
    Wish me the strength to continue.
    Old 11-10-2010, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by The Creative Seamstress
    Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    My name is...and I freely admit that I am a fabric junkie.

There, I've said it and I'm glad. I will never, ever buy another piece of fabric till I have sewed up every scrap that I have in this room, and the middle bedroom, and under the master bed, and in the closet in this room, and

Wait, the mailman just pushed a flyer from Joann's in the door and it has a 50 percent off coupon in it and where's my car keys and

and..... I'm going with you! LOL. No seriously the Veteran's Day sale is going on right now....

;)
    Wait for me....My dealer called to tell me my machine repair is in, so that means I have to go to Joann's; that's where my Viking dealer is, IN Joann's. I forgot to stop by the notions wall when I was there Monday, so I MUST check it out tomorrow.
    Old 11-10-2010, 07:48 PM

I am trying to do that right now - it has been a week so far - I purposely planned my next trip to town (55 miles one way) on the day the LQS is closed. I spent alot in the last month and have plenty (yah, right) of fabric for xmas stuff. So I am taking it one week at a time. (worse than quitting smoking)....
    Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 PM

Sure I can go on a buying fast and work with what I have, because most of my "quilting time" I find myself on this board and like right now I SHOULD go to bed but I just got here so it will be a while...