Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Theorectically, Could YOU go on a buying fast? >
  • Theorectically, Could YOU go on a buying fast?

• Theorectically, Could YOU go on a buying fast?

Old 11-10-2010, 08:27 PM

I certainly could go a year or more. I'd have to get creative with my backs, but have more than enough stash and thread to go that long.
    Old 11-10-2010, 08:31 PM

I went 4 years without sewing or buying new fabric or even mending...
    Ok, I was in school and didn't have time to think much less sew...
    Now that I'm out of school and started quilting I can go about 2 months without buying... ALTHOUGH, I'm finding that I need blenders and tone on tones as well as other specialty quilt fabric that is not in my stash... hence the "need" to go to the fabric store but only if it's on %50 off sale or dire emergency.
    Old 11-10-2010, 08:32 PM

Apparently not, since today I found my truck mysteriously driving me to the local Joann's because there is a sale(or so I hear from my fellow boardmembers) even though I really don't need any fabric at the moment. I ended up buying 3 yards of white on white muslin and 1 1/2 yard of green and gold Christmas print. Not a bad haul for $14, but not as good as what I kept hearing others find at their local store. Oh well, guess I 'll just hope for more willpower next time around.
    Old 11-11-2010, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    I've been thinking about this lately...with my stash staring at me...

At the rate that I quilt, and the fabric I have in my possession...could I resolve not to buy ANY fabric for a certain amount of time? Certainly I could go a day (lol!). Even a month. But then you get into 3 months...6 months...that's when it starts to make me nervous. Could I go a year? Just talking materials, I bet I could. But psychologically? OOOOoooo...I dunno....

So, I bought a "lot" of cotton thread, just to be safe. I'd hate to be out of thread if I really resolved *not* to buy anything quilting-related....

Anyone ever done it?
    Early summer, I resolved not to buy any more fabric for a year unless it was for a specific gift.....and so far, so good. I've bought fabric for 2 Halloween quilts for the grandsons, a Christmas gift quilt for the son in law and Dr Seuss fabrics for a baby quilt. I did decide that in the year, I could buy thread, batting and backing fabrics but only to finish existing projects.... so far, so good! :)
    Old 11-11-2010, 04:54 AM

I know that my fabric buying has seriously slowed down the last couple of years. I belong to the online Stashbusters group and their mantra of using and shopping your stash before buying has really become mine. Sometimes you just "have to buy fabric". How can any quilter have a drawer and a huge bin full of blue and still not have two metres of a medium blue? Unless it's a must have because I need it for this quilt or so cheap ($2 a metre) I am usually able to resist buying more just to store it away.
    Old 11-11-2010, 04:59 AM

I'm trying really hard not to buy till after the holidays unless it's something I need to finish a Christmas project. It's so hard though when I see something I just love, but so far I'm resisting......lots of sewing to do and so little time.
    Old 11-11-2010, 05:13 AM

I try not to buy anything new--yeah right!!! ha. Seriously I am slowing WAY down on fabric purchases. Try to find a good sale at the LQS. They purchase run ends etc and I've gotten some batik fabric for $5 a yard. One shop in our area has a $1.25 fat quarter bin. When a bolt gets really low they cut it into fat quarters and put that in the bin. Sure brings us in to check it out often. Of course there will usually be something else that catches our eye. I think that is why there is always a lot of people in the shop.
    Old 11-11-2010, 05:21 AM

I will just ditto, ditto what redquillter said! I have way too much. My kids will have a chore when I pass.

:thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 11-11-2010, 05:26 AM

I have gone a year no buy then just bought enough as a background, maybe 2 yards of WOW
    Old 11-11-2010, 06:02 AM
    Power Poster

I DID!!! when we moved into our new house my brother in law was helping...he told me..." there are rules, colleen...no one is allowed to have more than a ton of fabric...and you are over the limit!"
    while unpacking and organizing my new sewing room it dawned on me...he's right...i have a ton of fabric!
    so i decided i would not buy a single peice of fabric until i made a dent in what i had...and I STUCK TO IT FOR OVER 2 YEARS! yup, you read that right. i worked strictly from my stash for going on 3 years...just the past couple months i have been realizing i'm going to have to start buying again, still have a huge stash but not much in large pieces anymore, most has been cut up over and over and are now less than a yard. of course participating in a few different activities has helped along the way, when i receive a surprise package and it has new fabric in it what a treat that is! motivates me to get more done with what i have so i can go get some of the really new great fabrics. in the past 3 1/2 years i have only purchased muslin, PFD fabrics and solid black, everything else has been used from my stash :) and as hubby was telling me "you need to make me a christmas wish list" i was realizing some of my tools are really showing signs of wear...need to be replaced. i have not bought any notions in that length of time either., good thing christmas is coming i am down to my last needle threader.

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    I've been thinking about this lately...with my stash staring at me...

At the rate that I quilt, and the fabric I have in my possession...could I resolve not to buy ANY fabric for a certain amount of time? Certainly I could go a day (lol!). Even a month. But then you get into 3 months...6 months...that's when it starts to make me nervous. Could I go a year? Just talking materials, I bet I could. But psychologically? OOOOoooo...I dunno....

So, I bought a "lot" of cotton thread, just to be safe. I'd hate to be out of thread if I really resolved *not* to buy anything quilting-related....

Anyone ever done it?
    :thumbup: