Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Theorectically, Could YOU go on a buying fast? >
  • Theorectically, Could YOU go on a buying fast?

• Theorectically, Could YOU go on a buying fast?

Old 11-11-2010, 04:44 PM
    Power Poster

nope. I'm more realistic about myself than that. I buy fabrics like some ppl go on diets.
    If I "starve" myself, then I just give in and buy a whole bunch at once.
    I very recently did an "internal" inventory about my stash inventory and went a spiritual route.
    I am an addict...not laughing either. I am an addict!
    It's not wrong to buy fabric...it's just how much or how often.
    So, I put myself on a "program", and I believe it will only work as long as I follow the program.
    To each his own, but I had to get a grip, and not on more fabric ;-)
    Old 11-11-2010, 07:32 PM

Send a non quilting friend in to buy the certificate for you or your DH. That way you won't be tempted.
    Old 11-11-2010, 09:47 PM

I could possibly go years without buying and have enough...but do I want to? lol
    Old 11-11-2010, 10:09 PM

Anyone ever done it?[/quote]

Yes, I have done this.

About 15 years ago my husband declared that it would be the year of the unfinished project for both of us. Beginning January 1, 1992 and ending December 31st we both were to work at using what we had to finish everything on the floor and chairs and stuffed into cupboards and closets. Wow, it was hard. Each month we each had $50 for getting what we needed - you know that bit of lace or ribbon, bottle of paint or glue, etc. At first I was mad, but by Valentine's Day we were in a race to see how little money we could spend each month, as well as how many projects we finished. I was amazed how quickly some things got finished.

At the end of the year, we had to choose 5 projects to take into the next year - butyou still couldn't buy anything new until they were done. If you didn't want to invest in the leftovers, it went into the garbage.

I'm not sure I could do this again. One of my panicky problems is I think I need to use everything up. Instead, I'm trying to only get stuff out one project at a time. It is helping. I can actually see the entire top of my ironing board, find my scissors and my rotory cutter. Problem?...where are my ^&*)(^%%$ GLASSES.
    Old 11-11-2010, 10:16 PM

I managed to go a month.. then went nuts and had to buy!
    But now I really need to think about using my stash.. honestly, I could never use it all up in ten lifetimes!
    I have at least 20 kits.. and thats not counting the "kits" I made up for myself..
    So .. yes. I could go on a fabric buying fast and still have plenty to do..
    wel.. err.. I might have to buy some coordinating fabric to use with my focus fabrics. And backing.. and batting. I don't have batting. But batting isn't really fabric now, is it..
    Old 11-11-2010, 10:42 PM

About 3 years ago my stitch group friends and I made a pact not to buy any fabric for 6 months.. we all wanted to use what we had in our stash.. we made a provision that we could buy backing or if there was a very special event we could buy for that only.. and only after getting permission from the others in the group..

To make sure we were serious we each put $25 in a pot.. the one that lasted the longest won the money.. One by one each forfitted their money.. in the end, I easily won.. so I took them all to a very nice lunch!

It was enough to break me of just "buying".. I've discovered that there is always beautiful new fabrics out there and that I have plenty.. in fact I have more fabric now than I did then.. People have given me fabric, I inherited my MIL's super large stash, and it must also multiply when I leave it alone with the others in the basement!!

try it, it's not as bad as you'd think.. and I have a nice chunk of change if I really do want to buy something special!
    Old 11-11-2010, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    I've been thinking about this lately...with my stash staring at me...

At the rate that I quilt, and the fabric I have in my possession...could I resolve not to buy ANY fabric for a certain amount of time? Certainly I could go a day (lol!). Even a month. But then you get into 3 months...6 months...that's when it starts to make me nervous. Could I go a year? Just talking materials, I bet I could. But psychologically? OOOOoooo...I dunno....

Anyone ever done it?
    Two years ago when Lent season came, my hubby challenged me to not purchase any fabric - that would be my sacrifice. I said "no problem". It was a problem. Last year I offered to try again, and shared the challenge with a few friends. They were partly impressed, and partly thought I was just down right crazy. I gave myself permission to buy a piece for a grandson's birthday gift---the kind with little roads for him to drive his Matchbox cars on. By the time Easter came I told DH that was just as painful as giving up chocolate, and too torturous to expect anybody to give up fabric AND chocolate at the same time!!!

:) :)
    Old 11-12-2010, 05:21 AM

Sure you can! Just lose your job like my husband and I, no problem! GG
    Old 11-12-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by redquilter
    I haven't bought impluse fabric in over a year or more. I have too much. I know many of you have far more, but for me, it's just ridiculous. I'll never use it and believe it or not, it gives me anxiety looking at it. I've been giving it away little at a time. I had tons and tons of yarn and have been giving a lot away to a group who makes charity items. Seeing all that made me anxious too. I'm at the point in my life where I want less "stuff" around. I have so little time to work on my crafts that I feel it's just plain nonsense to keep all this around.
    I am starting this process - downsizing - because it is ridiculous how much fabric I have. My husband thinks I have taken over the house. :roll: Seriously, I have a lot to do, and only part of it is quilting. (My apologies to all you constant quilters.) Hopefully, I can pare down my belongings, and buy only what is absolutely necessary for the day... I definitely go with a list any more. No impulse buying.
    Old 11-12-2010, 08:07 AM

Don't drink, smoke or cuss . Fabric... Yes I have enough to do me my lifetime. Will I keep buying? YES! It gives me so much enjoyment to just look at it and plan things to make and see the beautiful colors, etc. I dont think the 12 step program would help. Would'nt want to even try and see. LOL