Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Is there a good Iron anymore? >
  • Is there a good Iron anymore?

• Is there a good Iron anymore?

Old 01-30-2014, 08:19 AM

Thanks for all the comments, ladies. I, too, am in a gripy mood about irons this morning. I bought a new one not too long ago; forget where and how much I paid, but not much because I refuse to waste money on an iron. Last week I used it on my regular ironing chores (yes, I do still iron my husband's shirts, a habit from his AF days) and was so disgusted I would have returned it to the store where I bought (if, if, if). Pretty, but with a Teflon finish that prevents smooth and fast ironing. UGHHHHHH. I hated it. I might even go looking for a receipt yet.
    Old 01-30-2014, 08:48 AM

I don't know why, but we quilters seem to go through irons rather rapidly!! I NEVER buy one new any more. Whenever I see an iron at an estate/yard/garage sale, I always get it. They are usually from $1-$5. When these irons cease to work, they go to my recycle container. Last fall I was lucky enough to find a Rowenta for only a couple of dollars STILL IN THE BOX!!!
    Old 01-30-2014, 08:53 AM
    Power Poster

Also why would one want to caulk an iron when they get hot. I don't blame you.
    Originally Posted by 2manyhobbies
    My son bought a Black and Decker, used it for a couple of months, and it leaked water at the bottom seams. The B&D online site says to get rubber cement and caulk the seams. One shouldn't have to do that! Of course, son lost receipt, but I'm going to get my hands on the iron and just mail it back to B&D, telling them they can just keep their defective product. We're not caulking anything.
    Old 01-30-2014, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by sahansen44
    The last iron I purchased (after having 2 Rowentas that ended up leaking) was a Black and Decker at Bed Bath and Beyond with my 20% coupon. so far I am loving it. Have had it almost a year and no leaking or spitting. I will not purchase an expensive iron again.
    I too have had several brands but always seem to come back to Black and Decker as a reliable iron that gets hot enough for me. As for spitting I found they mostly all do that, but if I press the steam or spray button once as the iron heats up the spitting is not a problem. I will defiantly stick with Black and Decker in the future.
    Old 01-30-2014, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by lovecreating
    I read somewhere to use distilled water. I used to have crusty stuff spewing out, but once I started using distilled water I didn't have that problem ever again and it has been years.
    That probably works for most irons, but read the directions thoroughly if you buy a new iron. Mine specifically said NOT to use distilled water. So it just depends! Wouldn't it be nice if all the irons used the same kind of water?
    Old 01-30-2014, 10:15 AM

I, too, am looking for a new iron. I have a Rowenta that doesn't steam anymore, but I think it's because it's fallen on the concrete floor many times because the cats keep jumping up on the ironing board and knocking it off! That's a problem I've got to fix. However, still need to get a new iron.
    I just checked Consumer Reports site and, wow, there doesn't seem to be a good one out there - of any brand. I read some reviews and several have problems leaking. Even expensive (up to $220!) ones have poor reviews. Now I'm thinking the idea of getting a used or bargain store one is the way to go, even if I have to replace it every so often. Bummer!
    Old 01-30-2014, 10:24 AM

I bought an inexpensive Sunbeam at Walmart about 9 years ago, and only use distiller water in it and it still works as good as the day I bought it for about $10-$14. I think tap water anywhere is what kills irons just because of the natural occurring minerals. The only issue I have ever had with it was remembering to give it a little jiggle, if it has not been used it a little while, because it has an auto shut-off. The good news is it heats up, or reheats up real quick. I do love having the Teflon faceplate, makes ironing with wet starch no problem, and wipes of nicely when cool.
    Old 01-30-2014, 10:26 AM

Bought a Rowenta ($70.000 started leaking in about a week. So mad ,ditched it and bought a Sunbeam model #4267-000. ( My daughter had one and I loved it) It was 49.00 ordered online. Had it 3 years now and still love it. Finally one that does not leak!
    Old 01-30-2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by sahansen44
    ....Black and Decker ... so far I am loving it. Have had it almost a year and no leaking or spitting. I will not purchase an expensive iron again.
    Strongly agree. My Black & Decker is at least 15-20 years old and NEVER has leaked or spit. I got it at an Ace Hardware.
    Old 01-30-2014, 12:38 PM

I don't like the newer irons they are not made for the pressing we need them for. I have managed to get some really great irons from the thrift stores I love old general electric or sunbeam irons