Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • There is life in Joplin, Missouri >
  • There is life in Joplin, Missouri

• There is life in Joplin, Missouri

Old 07-23-2011, 02:46 AM

Thank you for your wonderful update. You all sound like strong people. What a hard thing to go through. Isn't it just like God to send blessings after the storm. Your story is a wonderful tribute to the American people and to God's provision.
    Old 07-23-2011, 04:16 AM

Judie, please let us know when you are in your home and ready to rebuild your stash and sewing items. We have sent our prayers your way and would like to help with what we can even if it is only fabric. It is wonderful that your family has so much support. Let us know how you are doing. God Bless, margie
    Old 07-23-2011, 04:24 AM

Very glad for you that everyone is ok....I would also be willing to help re-build your stash. Keep us posted when you are ready to receive. Good luck and God bless.
    Old 07-23-2011, 04:46 AM
    Banned

Thank you for sharing and reminding us to hold dear to the things that really matter. God Bless you and your family! Thank God you are safe and that you are going to be an overcomer!!
    Old 07-23-2011, 07:15 AM

I read your post with tears streaming down my face. My heart goes out to the people of Joplin. I find it so inspiring that even after going through everything you did, you don't harbor bitterness in your heart and that you found strength in your family and community. Realizing that things are just things and that what really matters are the people who touch your life everyday. You have remained strong and and are optimistic about the future. There is nothing that you have to handle by yourself. When you least expect it, someone will come along to give a helping hand or a kind word. God has blessed you and your family and will surely bless the people who have been so helpful to you and to everyone else effected by this tragedy.
    Old 07-23-2011, 07:26 AM

Thank you for sharing... glad you are alive and breathing and can see the sunrise and sunset again... and thank you for reminding us there are so many good people around.
    Old 07-23-2011, 05:49 PM

Thank you everyone for your good wishes and for the prayers said for the people here and for my family. I know people say this, but I really mean it when I say that my family knows people are praying. I personally believe God's promise that He can use all things, even the bad things and the things that seem overwhelming, for our good and His glory. He is doing that here every day.

When we came up out of our basement, I had no idea how bad it was. It's very hard to imagine even when you've seen the pictures. I can hardly believe we had so few deaths when you see what's happened to the homes and businesses here. The wind was so strong it blew the bark off of the trees! That is one of the strangest things I've ever seen, hundreds of broken tree with no leaves, and no bark. If you are familar with Joplin you know how many trees we had here.. Now you can see St. John's hospital from 20th. and Rangeline. There isn't anything standing in between now.

Once I found out that my children and grandchildren were all okay, I said nothing else matters, and it doesn't. But then as I was throwing away the things I've had all my life I would say to myself, but that mattered.. and that mattered.. and THAT really mattered.. What I've figured out is that while lives always matter more than things, those things we have are the stuff that makes our life what it is. I'm 65 and had things that were given to me as a child. I don't throw away things, I don't lose them, I seldom break things.. I was raised in a time when we didn't have hardly anything and if you got something, you kept it and took good care of it. Some of those lost or broken things made me cry. How eye opening it is to realize that your mind says one thing, but your heart doesn't always agree even if your mind is correct. So the tears have come many many times. Since I didn't lose everything with the storm, It seems I'm always finding something new the storm took away. My things are all over creation.. I have stuff in Kansas City that a restoration company (brought in by our insurance company) took away, I thought they were fine. Yesterday we got a call that most of those things were not restorable, did we want them to dispose of them?? No.. I want them back!! I have things in PODs, in the driveway.. I thought for some reason I'd be able to get stuff that I needed.. no, they are packed to the top.. you can't get anything.. We also have a storage unit.. but the things in there were packed by people I don't know.. and the boxes are not labeled.. thanks, that was helpful... now I'm sounding hateful.. I don't mean to.. I appreciate the work done on my behalf.. but how in the world am I supposed to find anything in the next 12 to 18 months? Those are the things that make me crazy. I can't claim them if I have them and only God himself knows if I have them. This is the craziest thing I've ever lived though.

Yes, we do have insurance. I can't imagine not having it. Many here were renters... Our city manager told us 3 or 4 years ago that 65% of the homes in Joplin are rentals. I was shocked. I know that many renters do not have insurance... Those folks only have FEMA to help them out. I don't know what they are doing if they worked at one of the many businesses that were destroyed. Pray for them, they really have it hard. We have people living in any space they can find.. many are camping along Sheol Creek.. How miserable they have to be in this heat. Makes me ache for them.

Even with insurance you are in for some major surprises. We had coverage that is supposed to be 'replacement cost'.. but of course you have to know what was lost, and then they depreciate it. They depreciate the timbers that are your home. How can that be?? I don't understand.. I understand my shoes were not new and they are not worth what I paid for them.. but still I have to buy a new pair.. and homes don't depreciate, that appreciate.. how can they give you a depreciated value?? Of course if you are diligent, and it costs more to replace that pair of shoes, and you send them the reciept, they will then cut you a check for the difference. I have learned more in the past two months than I ever thought I'd need to know about how insurance works. Lots of that knowledge I hope never to have to use again!! Still we are so much better off than others, and I'm glad we have always had insurance.. If you're a renter, and don't have insurance, go get it, NOW.

We have spotty cell phone service here. All the cell towers went down of course, so it was very bad for awhile. They have gotten many temporary towers up and so it's better every day. Not always reliable, but so much better. That's what we are using and way over using our minutes, but at least we have communication.

Thank you all for your offers of helping me rebuild my stash. It would be wonderful. I had worked at Clothworld and then JoAnn's for years and years.. so I had a very well stocked sewing room. I am a natural saver and saved way too much. I know that fabric and other supplies are the least of my needs, but it is nice when you can't sleep to go get busy on a project. I'm one of those who can't sit comfortably without something in my hands to work on. I have a post office box... I hesitate to put that information on the board, I'm not sure that's a good idea.. and I do not need much. I have a very small home now without much room to store things. I appreciate all of you wanting to share, but don't want to have my name and address going all over who knows where.. I'm not sure how you can share with me without me doing that. We are already being hit up by every contractor, lawyer, remodeler, car dealer and shister for miles and miles. Thank you so much for your thoughts and generousity, but I'm not sure we can manage it. I'm sure I'll get back on my sewing feet in time.

Again.. all of you who answered my post.. thank you. You have encouraged me, made me happier, made me stronger and helped me get ready for another day. It's wonderful to know there are so many quilters that care so much for others. It has really made me aware of just how many wonderful people there are around.. We seem to see the obnoxious, rude, angry, uncaring ones, and it makes you wonder if our grandchildren can ever live a life worth living. I've realized that's because the rest of us that really do care are not loud, we quietly go about our business and take care of each other. Your kind words are a balm to my roller coaster emotions. Thank you.
    Old 07-24-2011, 01:43 PM

Bless your heart Judie. To hear the words you tell about the tears you've cried really says it all.

It's good to hear you have your faith and hope in the right place and I'm sure that will help you to endure this nightmare that still goes on day by day.

Hopefully, in the years to come, you can look back and tell the stories to your grandchildren about how the people came from everywhere to help rebuild your town...they will learn, thru your words and by your actions, about the goodness of people.